Golf cart repair

Golf cart repair

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Clean up
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Sage

Default Clean up

If this acid overflow has happened to your cart you need to do one more thing to prevent another issue. Acid and cart frames do not go well together. In fact if you have a cart like mine with an aluminum frame the acid and aluminum will turn into this white stuff that is so hard you may need a chisel to get it off. If this has happened you may need to hire someone unless you are comfortable puling the batteries, washing everything and putting them back.... big/heavy job...

Hopefully This may not have happened yet.

Someone needs to clean the cart and battery tray/rails. I have used this stuff in the past as it is easier than baking soda IMO:
Walmart.com: NOCO 14oz Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector: Automotive

Do this on the grass, not your driveway or street as the acid will stain. It will not hurt the grass.

Spray the can or three all over the sides of batteries and tray/rails. It will turn pink when it finds acid. Be careful to not spray too much on top of battery as you would hate for it to get into battery.

Then you simply wash off with a hose set on a gentle spray.

It is a pain in the butt, but letting acid sit on the frame may be a bigger pain in the butt later.....

Golf cart battery
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Golf cart battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
If this acid overflow has happened to your cart you need to do one more thing to prevent another issue. Acid and cart frames do not go well together. In fact if you have a cart like mine with an aluminum frame the acid and aluminum will turn into this white stuff that is so hard you may need a chisel to get it off. If this has happened you may need to hire someone unless you are comfortable puling the batteries, washing everything and putting them back.... big/heavy job...

Hopefully This may not have happened yet.

Someone needs to clean the cart and battery tray/rails. I have used this stuff in the past as it is easier than baking soda IMO:
Walmart.com: NOCO 14oz Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector: Automotive

Do this on the grass, not your driveway or street as the acid will stain. It will not hurt the grass.

Spray the can or three all over the sides of batteries and tray/rails. It will turn pink when it finds acid. Be careful to not spray too much on top of battery as you would hate for it to get into battery.

Then you simply wash off with a hose set on a gentle spray.

It is a pain in the butt, but letting acid sit on the frame may be a bigger pain in the butt later.....
Well, now I'm being told by the last person who borrowed the cart--that one of the batteries looked like it was "swelling"? Ever heard of that?
Thank so much for your help..
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
Well, now I'm being told by the last person who borrowed the cart--that one of the batteries looked like it was "swelling"? Ever heard of that?
Lynn
As batteries age, they swell or bulge a little bit in the middle. That fact by itself does not mean there is an issue.

Funny thing, the same thing has happened to my waistline
Golf cart battery
Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
As batteries age, they swell or bulge a little bit in the middle. That fact by itself does not mean there is an issue.

Funny thing, the same thing has happened to my waistline
Same with mine....
I guess I SHOULD get it checked...just don't want to pay dearly for it! I am trying to sell my home--FSBO--and figure that someone will want the golf-cart in the transaction. I just want to FEEL good about saying that it is in "working order" as is.....

THANKS!
Lynn
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
Lynn
The bulging is caused by gassing. This is caused by overcharging or by a short circuit inside the battery. The acid inside the battery is turned to gas and it expands the sides of the battery.

long story just replace the bad one(s)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM

THANKS! Need to have someone come and tell me which ones are bad...if ANY!
So--someone trustworthy...
Lynn
Do NOT use Todd Casey!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Do NOT use Todd Casey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01 View Post
If you want a golf cart technician to look at it call Todd Casey Golf Cart Repairs. Todd's phone number is 352-256-2068. I have not used him but he comes highly recommended from a good friend who rents golf carts and Todd services all his carts. When I need a repair, Todd is the one I'm going to call.
I was an avid Todd Casey fan, (he was my mechanic when he used to work for Spano Golf Carts). When he went out on his own I called him to come and service my cart. What a mistake! He showed up and "serviced" my cart, but nowhere near the service I was used to. Told me I needed brakes (which I only had replaced a few months earlier). Needless to say I didn't get the brakes done and definitely won't be calling him back. Looks like I should just go back to where I started from .... Spano it is.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYtransplant View Post
I was an avid Todd Casey fan, (he was my mechanic when he used to work for Spano Golf Carts). When he went out on his own I called him to come and service my cart. What a mistake! He showed up and "serviced" my cart, but nowhere near the service I was used to. Told me I needed brakes (which I only had replaced a few months earlier). Needless to say I didn't get the brakes done and definitely won't be calling him back. Looks like I should just go back to where I started from .... Spano it is.
There are better shops around, you may want to look at recent posts on their work.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Call Battery Boys!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongoozler View Post
Call Battery Boys!
yep!
Closed Thread