T105 batteries are already two years old - Battery Minder

T105 batteries are already two years old - Battery Minder

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

T105 batteries already two years old - range test - Battery Minder
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Sage

Default T105 batteries already two years old - range test - Battery Minder

My 6 volt T105 batteries turned two years old and I wanted to share some range testing I did prior to my experience with a Battery Minder (future posts). If you enjoy long winded posts filled with dry boring data on batteries, you have come to the right place . I have sprinkled in pictures to distract the reader. My batteries were installed on 2/17/2010. I have had no issues with the pack, they have been maintained to the best of my ability. The one gray mark on their history was the first summer where I left them for four months with no charging. I may have gotten away with that as they were new and strong and did not discharge at a very high rate. That will not happen again.

Skip to the bottom to see the mileage results. As you can see the pack is as pretty as ever:

The annual cleaning and inspection revealed no issues. There was no evidence of acid anywhere on the case or trays. All connections were disconnected, cleaned, connected and sprayed for corrosion. For my fill it and go friends…. stop rolling your eyes, I really do enjoy doing this bit of work on a beautiful day.

As a birthday gift I decided to reward the pack with a Battery Minder. It will be used mostly as a battery tender during my absence. I am not looking at the Battery Minder for the ability to de-sulfate the batteries. If I get some of that it will be a bonus. Before I try out the Battery Minder, I decided to do some tests to see assess the condition of the batteries.

This cart is a 2002 Club CAR DS which I bought from my neighbor for $1000. They had had enough with electric carts and battery issues and bought a Yamaha Gas cart from The Villages. They have had to replace the battery in their gas cart three times since they bought it. You cannot make this stuff up . With some help I converted the frame in my Club Car to hold two additional batteries and installed 8 T105s in February of 2010.

My test runs:
  • Front window was down as it was hot, but this would decrease wind resistance and increase range.
  • Only weight in cart was a husky man, lab assistant Caly, and possibly a couple of beverages with enough ice to keep them cold.
  • All driving was on tar paths or roads.
  • All mileage was not continuous. I stopped for periods of 15-30 minutes at various places to visit and take voltages of the pack.
  • Voltages were measured after the pack rested for 15-30 minutes post arrival at a destination. (Future post will have details of voltages for the truly curious)
  • The distance was measured with the cart speedometer and a GPS app on my Blackberry, I used the lower number.

Off we go (one of us prefers anonymity)

I will add a couple of more posts on this thread with details of the road test for the voltage junkies and my thoughts on the Battery Minder as I use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone named Alan
Caveat reader: Alan is no expert, just sharing my experiences as I go with my electric carts.

In the second run, I ran my pack voltage much lower than I would ever recommend as I wanted to see if any battery would show signs of stress. You should NEVER EVER take the pack below 46.6 volts. I usually will never take a pack to less than 48.4 volts
Test run one: 42+ miles, ending voltage was 48.6 volts (~55% SOC)
Test run two: 63+ miles, ending voltage was 47.6 volts (~37% SOC) (last run of 9.5 miles had lights on)

I was extremely pleased with these numbers. I also plotted them while watching tv one evening and was surprised to learn something which I will share if I figure out how to post it.

Battery test
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Battery test

Very interesting. Keep us posted. BTW, I have a Battery tender I used to keep my Corvette charged while in winter storage. 6v or 12v. Is that the same you use or is there a different Battery Tender for a 48v golf cart?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel View Post
Very interesting. Keep us posted. BTW, I have a Battery tender I used to keep my Corvette charged while in winter storage. 6v or 12v. Is that the same you use or is there a different Battery Tender for a 48v golf cart?
Ok, you win, my coolest vehicle is a golf cart with 8-6 volt batteries and you have a Corvette

I am playing around with this model. IMO you can do better than the pricing at this URL if you shop around.

Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
My 6 volt T105 batteries turned two years old and I wanted to share some range testing I did prior to my experience with a Battery Minder (future posts). If you enjoy long winded posts filled with dry boring data on batteries, you have come to the right place . I have sprinkled in pictures to distract the reader. My batteries were installed on 2/17/2010. I have had no issues with the pack, they have been maintained to the best of my ability. The one gray mark on their history was the first summer where I left them for four months with no charging. I may have gotten away with that as they were new and strong and did not discharge at a very high rate. That will not happen again.

Skip to the bottom to see the mileage results. As you can see the pack is as pretty as ever:

The annual cleaning and inspection revealed no issues. There was no evidence of acid anywhere on the case or trays. All connections were disconnected, cleaned, connected and sprayed for corrosion. For my fill it and go friends…. stop rolling your eyes, I really do enjoy doing this bit of work on a beautiful day.

As a birthday gift I decided to reward the pack with a Battery Minder. It will be used mostly as a battery tender during my absence. I am not looking at the Battery Minder for the ability to de-sulfate the batteries. If I get some of that it will be a bonus. Before I try out the Battery Minder, I decided to do some tests to see assess the condition of the batteries.

This cart is a 2002 Club CAR DS which I bought from my neighbor for $1000. They had had enough with electric carts and battery issues and bought a Yamaha Gas cart from The Villages. They have had to replace the battery in their gas cart three times since they bought it. You cannot make this stuff up . With some help I converted the frame in my Club Car to hold two additional batteries and installed 8 T105s in February of 2010.

My test runs:
  • Front window was down as it was hot, but this would decrease wind resistance and increase range.
  • Only weight in cart was a husky man, lab assistant Caly, and possibly a couple of beverages with enough ice to keep them cold.
  • All driving was on tar paths or roads.
  • All mileage was not continuous. I stopped for periods of 15-30 minutes at various places to visit and take voltages of the pack.
  • Voltages were measured after the pack rested for 15-30 minutes post arrival at a destination. (Future post will have details of voltages for the truly curious)
  • The distance was measured with the cart speedometer and a GPS app on my Blackberry, I used the lower number.

Off we go (one of us prefers anonymity)

I will add a couple of more posts on this thread with details of the road test for the voltage junkies and my thoughts on the Battery Minder as I use it.

Test run one: 42+ miles, ending voltage was 48.6 volts (~55% SOC)
Test run two: 63+ miles, ending voltage was 47.6 volts (~37% SOC) (last run of 9.5 miles had lights on)

I was extremely pleased with these numbers. I also plotted them while watching tv one evening and was surprised to learn something which I will share if I figure out how to post it.
I love these technical posts,...I'm sure every lady on TOTV finds this fascinating as well,....keep up the good work!

FYI,...I just had a new set of T890's installed in my Club Car and it's great. For my money, these older 48V Club Car DS are a great value. I think mine is an 03.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytop View Post
I love these technical posts,...I'm sure every lady on TOTV finds this fascinating as well ...
Fascinating.
Nice!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Gold member

Default Nice!

Nice reading . The Battery Minder is a great tool for the de-sulfation of any battery.

Will you be using it for that also some time soon?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Nice reading . The Battery Minder is a great tool for the de-sulfation of any battery.

Will you be using it for that also some time soon?
A Battery Minder has been part of the charging system since I completed the 63 mile run below. I will take another run in a couple of weeks and compare. My gut feel is that this pack is in pretty good shape and it will be hard to see a quantifiable change based on any desulfation, we will see. I do not have a pack that would be a good candidate to test that aspect of the BM.

I have some more detailed numbers of each battery to post for the comparison, but that must wait as the lab tech is off today for golf
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
A Battery Minder has been part of the charging system since I completed the 63 mile run below. I will take another run in a couple of weeks and compare. My gut feel is that this pack is in pretty good shape and it will be hard to see a quantifiable change based on any desulfation, we will see. I do not have a pack that would be a good candidate to test that aspect of the BM.

I have some more detailed numbers of each battery to post for the comparison, but that must wait as the lab tech is off today for golf
Alan

Did you buy the Battery Minder locally. I see in the POA bulletin that a company in Leesburg is advertising one at a $50 discount. The best online price that I found was at Northern Tool and Equipment for $170.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
..........They have had to replace the battery in their gas cart three times since they bought it. You cannot make this stuff up . .......
Your neighbor would be served well by getting himself a Battery Tender for his gas cart!! It would have MORE than paid for itself via the cost of all his replacement batteries.

I always find your posts very interesting and informative, aj. Thanks!

Bill
Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
Alan

Did you buy the Battery Minder locally. I see in the POA bulletin that a company in Leesburg is advertising one at a $50 discount. The best online price that I found was at Northern Tool and Equipment for $170.
I have not bought one yet, I got lucky and am able to try one out. I also saw the add in POA which is interesting. In addition, I know that our friends at Battery Boys sell them. We (Dad and I) will be calling around soon. I would much prefer to buy from a local business if the price is competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Your neighbor would be served well by getting himself a Battery Tender for his gas cart!! It would have MORE than paid for itself via the cost of all his replacement batteries.

I always find your posts very interesting and informative, aj. Thanks!

Bill
The battery was dieing at all times even when they were using cart regular. I have no idea the issue, just found it ironic that they make a move to gas cart to get away from electric and have battery issues

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my posts..... I enjoy posting this stuff and it makes me smile when I hear folks like to read it....
Closed Thread