T105 batteries are already two years old - Battery Minder

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I see T-105's for about $125 free shipping no tax, are you quoting a different battery?
He is quoting the price of the 48V Battery Minder.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM

I believe that Northern Tool is no longer selling the 36V or 48V BatteryMINDers anymore! The best bet is to buy locally, that way you'll be sure to have all your questions answered and proper installation by professionals!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ystergarde View Post
I believe that Northern Tool is no longer selling the 36V or 48V BatteryMINDers anymore! The best bet is to buy locally, that way you'll be sure to have all your questions answered and proper installation by professionals!
Northern Tool no longer sells these units because we (BatteryMINDer Distributors) were promoting the unit in The Villages, Leesburg, Eustis, Tavares, Mt. Dora, Summerfield, Wildwood and Oxford, quoting the price out and not getting the deal. The consumer went straight to Northern Tool and really beat our cost.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Sage

So what's your current promotional price to TV?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Your cart appears to have larger wheels than standard. Does it also have an upgraded suspension system? What did you have to do to get the 8 six volt batteries in? I have a 2002 Club Car Ds and would love to upgrade it and be able to get that kind of mileage. Warning, I am pretty much a fill and go guy as you call us. I am not interested in spending hours maintaining my cart.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I have a 2002 Club Car Ds and would love to upgrade it
Is it 36 or 48volt
Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are you wearing a ski mask?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Is it 36 or 48volt
It's a 48 Volt
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Sage

Ok, Al is using 8x6volt, that gives him about 30% increase in amp hours

Al can tell you how he fitted those extra battery's better than I,
but it appears to have a lift kit and larger wheels/tires, this adds to the distance it will go, but if you go too large it will bog down.
10" wheels should work with appropriate tires, that will cost $800 or so.

I think if you get a new pack and keep it charged all the time with the BM or solar, you can get even more miles, and the pack will last 6+ years.

We'll let Al chime in here with his more specific info.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 07-01-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ok, I don't think Al is using 8x8volt, that would be a 54volt pack all his data shows 48, I guess they (two extra) are for accessories.

Al can tell you how he fitted those extra battery's better than I,
but it appears to have a lift kit and larger wheels/tires, this adds to the distance it will go, but if you go too large it will bog down.
10" wheels should work with appropriate tires, that will cost 800-1,000.

I think if you get a new pack and keep it charged all the time with the BM or solar, you can get even more miles, and the pack will last 6+ years.

We'll let Al chime in here with his more specific info.

If I'm not mistaken, Al has converted his cart from six 8-volt batteries to eight 6-volt batteries. That configuration is supposed to get more miles. My battery pack is less than two years old and I keep it charged all the time.
I don't understand what this battery minder is all about. I used to manage fleets of golf carts. I had a fleet of the DS 48 volt cart when it first came out and the computer in the cart kept the batteries charged as long as they were plugged in. If the charged dipped below a certain level computer would kick the charger on until the batteries were fully charged and then shut it off. A few years later I had a fleet of Precedents and it was the same story. All you had to do was keep the charger plugged in and the cart computer did the rest.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage

Agree, the BM as I understand it is just when you're away for several weeks or months rather than leave your charger plugged in.

how many miles can you go now until you get to 50% charge or 48.5 volts?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Your cart appears to have larger wheels than standard. Does it also have an upgraded suspension system? What did you have to do to get the 8 six volt batteries in? I have a 2002 Club Car Ds and would love to upgrade it and be able to get that kind of mileage. Warning, I am pretty much a fill and go guy as you call us. I am not interested in spending hours maintaining my cart.
If I used the 'gas and go' it was in jest; I hope it came across that way.

These are 10 inch wheels with 205-65-10 tires. This setup will fit the DS on the rear with no adjustments. Many people do just the rear to gain about 10% speed. There must be a loss of tourque, but I cannot tell.

I went with front and back because I liked the look. I used a three inch spindle lift kit from Jake's ($300) and I got the wheels/tires from Golf Cart Guy on 441 ($400).

I documented how I added 2 batteries. The thread is long but a couple of posts show the basic design:
My experience converting a cart from 6-8 to 8-6 volt batteries

My Dad and his friend just added two batteries to their DS carts. They used a different option and it came out great. I will see if I can find some pictured if you are interested. I had planned to create a thread showing the design, but life gets in the way

We are about to get a pretty good thunderstorm (severe) where I am in MA, so I will leave you with that long and boring thread and come back later.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Al has converted his cart from six 8-volt batteries to eight 6-volt batteries. That configuration is supposed to get more miles. My battery pack is less than two years old and I keep it charged all the time.
I don't understand what this battery minder is all about. I used to manage fleets of golf carts. I had a fleet of the DS 48 volt cart when it first came out and the computer in the cart kept the batteries charged as long as they were plugged in. If the charged dipped below a certain level computer would kick the charger on until the batteries were fully charged and then shut it off. A few years later I had a fleet of Precedents and it was the same story. All you had to do was keep the charger plugged in and the cart computer did the rest.
If someone has to leave for a month or so should he/she place the cart in "tow mode" in order to keep the battery from discharging?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If someone has to leave for a month or so should he/she place the cart in "tow mode" in order to keep the battery from discharging?
The battery pack will still discharge in tow mode, put a digital meter on it.

From Trojan
Do batteries self-discharge when not in use?
"All batteries, regardless of their chemistry, self-discharge. The rate of self-discharge depends on the type of battery, the age of the battery, and the storage temperature the batteries are exposed to. As an estimate, Trojan batteries self-discharge approximately 4% per week at 80o F. "

That's the application for a trickle charger.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Agree, the BM as I understand it is just when you're away for several weeks or months rather than leave your charger plugged in.

how many miles can you go now until you get to 50% charge or 48.5 volts?
I haven't check my mileage, but I think I've gone over 25 in a day. I've gotten in the habit of plugging in every time I come home so I really haven't pushed the batteries as far as they can go except once. I live in Silver Lake and I was returning from LSL after a day of running around. I didn't record my mileage, but I almost didn't make it over the golf cart bridge. Since that experience we got in the habit of plugging in whenever we're home.

What's the problem with just leaving your cart plugged in if you're gone for several weeks or months. When I was in the golf business we left them plugged in all winter.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.