My new plantation shutters

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Default My new plantation shutters

Just had my beautiful plantation shutters installed by 48 hour Blinds Pink House. They changed the entire look of our home. It enhanced the look of our interior 100%. The men, Brad and Antonio, who did the installing, were amazing! They both were professional, knowledgable, and friendly.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

The former owners of the preowned home we bought in November had installed them. Wow, the difference in appearance of a window with plantation shutters vs. blinds!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

How long did it take you to get them, once you placed the order?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM

We recently had 48 Hour Blinds install Plantation Shutters on all of our windows. We are so pleased. The shutters enhance every room. They are beautiful. Highly recommend this company.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Default My new plantation shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNPA View Post
We recently had 48 Hour Blinds install Plantation Shutters on all of our windows. We are so pleased. The shutters enhance every room. They are beautiful. Highly recommend this company.
We had them installed when we bought our new home almost 3 years ago; quality workmanship, and they still look spectacular. 48 Hour Blinds really did a nice job.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
How long did it take you to get them, once you placed the order?
If I recall it was about 3 weeks.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 AM

You are so right when you say they totally change the look of your house! We like them so much we just had Blinds Plus Shutters come out to our new home yesterday to measure and place an order.

We also have the gliding plantation shutters on our slider door. It may be expensive but so well worth it!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM

We also used Blinds Plus Shutters and had an excellent experience.

We had originally installed 2.5" wood blinds on all the windows of our new home, except the sliders. A year later, we decided to upgrade our front bedroom window with an eyebrow arch to a custom plantation shutter. The BPS salesperson came out, measured the window and brought samples of the shutter blinds to review. There are so many decisions! He went through about six separate option categories for items such as moldings, window sill, and louver slat size. Knowing what furnishings we planned to put in front of the window, he made solid recommendations on the multi hinged opening style we ultimately selected.

The window has been transformed from the inside and outside views. We especially love the sunburst shutter that fills the eyebrow arch and know that our guests who like to sleep in will truly appreciate this feature.

Our two added bits of advice would be:
1. If you are going to want to sell your existing window blind(s), to measure and photograph it before you take it down; and
2. Paint the room or the window wall before you have the shutters installed (so you won't get any paint on your new shutters).

We sold our original wood bedroom window blind by advertising it on TOTV advising that it would be available for pick up (post shutter installation) and the date.

While we didn't do the whole house, we made a solid impact on the look of the house from the front and the guest bedroom. A splurge for the rest of the house may come over time. We wouldn't hesitate to call on Blinds Plus Shutters when we are ready.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 AM

I am thinking about replacing the blinds in the living room and possibly the master bedroom with plantation shutters.

Wood is so much more expensive than vinyl. I am thinking I can find happiness with vinyl.

I would welcome any advice on wood vs. vinyl or any other aspect of making choices for plantation shutters.

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Sage

In the FL heat, wood shutters will warp and split. 48 Hour Blinds has a product that is stronger and much more durable than wood. It consists of a metal center (aluminum I think) cover by vinyl. It looks terrific, is easy to clean, and works flawlessly.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM

We got the Norman plantation shutter in white. It is not wood, but you can't really tell the difference with a white shutter. It looks like wood, has a thickness of wood and a weight of wood, without any of the downsides of wood (warping, splitting, drying). If you are looking for what would be a painted wood look (white, off white), you are better off not using real wood for your shutters in this humid climate.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 AM

Thank you, dbussone and waverunner, for getting me past my wood vs. vinyl angst. It had not dawned on me that wood in these windows and Florida heat might not be the best combination.

Sometimes I can be oblivious to the obvious.

Last edited by Laurie2; 02-26-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Thank you, dbussone and waverunner, for getting me past my wood vs. vinyl angst. It had not dawned on me that wood in these windows and Florida heat might not be the best combination.

Sometimes I can be oblivious to the obvious.
You are welcome. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:26 AM

Thanks to the good advice here in this thread, I am over the idea of plantation shutters made of wood.

But I want the shutters to have the look of painted wood. Any suggestions for brands?

Also, I realize there will be some trade-off of light with the living room windows going from blinds to shutters, but what percentage of light will be lost?

I really like the look of plantation shutters. There is something so Florida about them. But I have never bought them before. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 AM

We got the Norman brand of plantation shutters from Blinds Plus Shutters. They will bring samples. I don't show if any of these vendors has an actual showroom, but, if so, you may be able to see more examples. The Norman shutter is smooth and has a low sheen. The thickness of the slats and the panels look like painted wood, but there are no brushstrokes or wood grain patterns that show through. The moldings are similar in smoothness to your baseboard and door moldings in your home.

I personally would not worry about losing light as they are very good at keeping light out and very adjustable to let light in. We even got the option where the top slats are adjustable separately from the bottom slats, so I frequently just open the top to let light in and this allow privacy at the bottom.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.