Thermofoil kitchen cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Thumbs down Thermofoil kitchen cabinets

Does anyone have experience with the Villages properties Thermofoil cabinets having problems with the heat in the kitchen? Layers separating, cracks in door surfaces, any type of problem with those type of cabinets? About to build a new house, want white cabinets and understand Villages builders use Homecrest Thermofoil for those cabinets.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Think twice. I had Thermofoil in a condo I had in the panhandle and had peeling not related to heat. I was also told not to put Thermofoil cabinets next to a self clean oven - too much heat generated.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarry View Post
Think twice. I had Thermofoil in a condo I had in the panhandle and had peeling not related to heat. I was also told not to put Thermofoil cabinets next to a self clean oven - too much heat generated.
Thanks. I've read of similar issues. So, how do I get white cabinets in a Designer home I plan to build? also, can you tell me how long ago you had the Thermofoil in your condo; I read of improvements to the Thermofoil in the last few years.

Last edited by DrJack; 02-08-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 02-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Platinum member

We have bisque, thermofoil cabinets in the kitchen and both baths. They're easy to clean and show no signs of cracking, separating, or discoloration--so far after 8 years. Of course we're aware of the cabinet's sensitivity to heat and so we pull the toaster out to the front of the counter top before using. We've also used the self-cleaning oven function on the oven several times, and can see that the intense heat might cause a problem. We have thought about granite countertop but wonder if we shouldn't replace the cabinets first, knowing that TV did not provide quality cabinets to begin with. At this point in time we're living with and happy with the thermofoil cabinets.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
We have bisque, thermofoil cabinets in the kitchen and both baths. They're easy to clean and show no signs of cracking, separating, or discoloration--so far after 8 years. Of course we're aware of the cabinet's sensitivity to heat and so we pull the toaster out to the front of the counter top before using. We've also used the self-cleaning oven function on the oven several times, and can see that the intense heat might cause a problem. We have thought about granite countertop but wonder if we shouldn't replace the cabinets first, knowing that TV did not provide quality cabinets to begin with. At this point in time we're living with and happy with the thermofoil cabinets.
That is very helpful! Thanks! There are so many decisions on a new home, having this feedback will help with the cabinet choice. We plan to add granite countertops after we close. I'll try to update this thread as time goes along.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.