DirecTV Perpetrating Consumer Fraud

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Default DirecTV Perpetrating Consumer Fraud

Since AT&T has taken over, Directv has proceeded on a national crusade of consumer fraud, billing for services never rendered,a customer service department basically ignoring your problems when you call and charging exorbitant "early cancellation fees" on unknowing subscribers which were never agreed to in advance. Essentially, they do whatever they can get away with. This is so bad, there are even websites dedicated to this problem. It has even gone to the SUPREME COURT! Do any of the senior laws in Florida protect us from this nation wide epidemic better than any other state?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
Since AT&T has taken over, Directv has proceeded on a national crusade of consumer fraud, billing for services never rendered,a customer service department basically ignoring your problems when you call and charging exorbitant "early cancellation fees" on unknowing subscribers which were never agreed to in advance. Essentially, they do whatever they can get away with. This is so bad, there are even websites dedicated to this problem. It has even gone to the SUPREME COURT! Do any of the senior laws in Florida protect us from this nation wide epidemic better than any other state?
I agree that things have not improved since AT&T took over. Our bill is on a swivel.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Cancellation fee is 20.00 per month for every month cancelled early. It was plainly disclosed in my contract.

Notwithstanding the fee, I will be canceling at the end of my contract. One thing especially irritated me about them is the endless energy the expend trying to get me to upgrade. I finally had to contact the privacy dept to opt out. It can only be done in writing and frankly it is easier to reach out to the IRS than the opt out dept.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Customer Abuse

It is absolutely true that when AT&T bought Direct TV they significantly increased the price for a Service call. If you had not bought their Insurance Plan at $7.50 a month then you will now pay $99 for a service call. That was $49 before AT&T bought Direct TV and they more than doubled it a few days after AT&T bought Direct TV.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is absolutely true that when AT&T bought Direct TV they significantly increased the price for a Service call. If you had not bought their Insurance Plan at $7.50 a month then you will now pay $99 for a service call. That was $49 before AT&T bought Direct TV and they more than doubled it a few days after AT&T bought Direct TV.
Do they charge you the service call if their rented equipment was at fault?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
Not sure if the Supreme Court reference is supportive of your complaint since DirecTV won that case.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I haven't noticed any difference with Directv and I've been with them since 2008. I get one email a week with pay-per-view movies updates and that's about it. My bill hasn't changed in months, I have the Premier package plus the HD Tier and maintenace plan, pretty much everything but MLB. My bill would be over $200 a month but I usually call when necessary and get discounts.

At the beginning of last football season I called and said to cancel me out of the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is $44.95 a month for six months. The customer service person gave me $40 off a month for 12 months, so I kept the NFL which was my plan to begin with.

Last week I called again and said, don't put me on NFL Sunday Ticket, it's too expensive. The agent I was talking to said you may not want to do that because this year it shows you get NFL Sunday Ticket for free since you're a loyal customer. Also your $40 a month credit has only one remaining month, let me switch you to Loyality Department and see if we can get that extended, I'm not able to do that but I can get you some more credits, and she proceeded to give me about 5 credits for six months of about $5 or $10 apiece.

After connecting with another sales person in Loyality department he said he can only give me $20 a month for 12 months and that the previous associate misspoke when she said you get NFL Ticket for free, she should of said you get NFL Ticket uprgrade for free, which is 'Red Zone' and computer connection added. However, he said since she already gave it to you and a made a notation on your account we have to honor that. He said hold on while I get a supervisor. They then said we are putting a $289 credit on your bill for the NFL Ticket. The next day I checked my account on line and sure enough, there was a credit for $289.

This is really not the way to run a company, but after ten years with Directv I have found they operate much like a car dealer who's prices are really just a negotiating point.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 AM

True. Directv did win that Supreme Court case. All consumers are now forced into binding arbitration. Regardless, do you really want to deal with a company that bends over backwards to take advantage of you. This is not just my opinion.
Go to lawyersandsettlements.com. Reference "Directv cancellation fee" Read the multitude of complaints of how these fees are applied behind one's back. Yes, new subscribers are sent this upfront,since March of 2017. Long term subscribers are stung without warning if ANY change is made in your service level or equipment.

Last edited by Oneiric; 06-27-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM

I have been with Direct Tv since 2010 and I have not had any of the problems you have mentioned. My bill is stable and I have found the service to be excellent. The programming is to my liking, especially the sports.Would not consider any thing else.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Sounds to me as if you didn't read the contract. Not good.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Actually had a contract with them for 14 years, Fred53. It was when I cancelled my service, that they tried to impose an invented $430 cancellation fee. After much time spent on the phone, they finallly launched an "escalation" of the problem. They then agreed that they had falsely imposed this cancellation fee.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Old Saying

There is an old saying in the pricing world. It is "if you don't have competition the only thing that should measure your applied price is GREED". This is pretty pervasive in the corporate world! Unfortunately we don't have a governments that protects the public. When was the last time you saw an article discussing the Government challenging and suing for "greed". To see the extent of the problem all you have to do is watch the Cable Companies.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
There is an old saying in the pricing world. It is "if you don't have competition the only thing that should measure your applied price is GREED". This is pretty pervasive in the corporate world! Unfortunately we don't have a governments that protects the public. When was the last time you saw an article discussing the Government challenging and suing for "greed". To see the extent of the problem all you have to do is watch the Cable Companies.
What???
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

that's the problem no competition ,bright house is gone.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Confused

I guess there is a lack of understanding when it comes to competition with regards to cable. If you want a quick education take a problem to the DirectTV store on 441. Oops, you will be directed to the Brighthouse office for your complaints as they handle all complaints including Direct TV, Brighthouse, Dish etc. There is a good chance there will be an attempt to get you to transfer to Dish, or another Cable provider and to get rid of DirectTV. Suspect it is because there is a commission to get a customer to switch from their current provider? The Cable providers sell franchises and therefore you are really dealing with a "Retail Store" when going to the 441 offices. At this point competition does not exist and commissions rule. If you want to avoid this non competitive merchandising then call the Corporate Offices of the Company and deal with them.
Closed Thread

Tags
consumer, fraud, directv, websites, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.