DO THIS: $24.99 Direct TV & Internet $19.99

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Default DO THIS: $24.99 Direct TV & Internet $19.99

Let me help SAVE everyone who reads this post some BIG $ on cable & Internet.

I’m a teacher and live in RI but have 3 rental homes in The Villages (3br in Springdale, 2br Caroline, and a villa in Hillsborough). A tip here on TOTV led me to save big $. See below. I had Direct TV installed at 2 homes in May and will have the final one done when I visit in July.

1. Call Select Choice TV in Summerfield (third party broker for all providers) at 352-553-4921. I kept their ad from a Villages magazine in April and got Heba when I called (she has been great) but anyone can help. Her e-mail: hrobinson@selectchoicetv.com Get DIRECT TV. Free installation. It took less than 2 hours from time guy arrived until he was done. $24.99/mo for a year for the basic SELECT package (but that’s about 130 channels and free movie channels for 3 months). I added HD (high definition) at my 3br because I’ll be moving there in a year or so. That’s $10/mo. Each additional TV is $6/mo.

2. For INTERNET go with Comcast for $19.99/mo. Call 1-800-COMCAST. I was already a Comcast subscriber for cable and Internet. Their $19.99 rate is good for a year, and they gave me that rate no problem to keep me (normally just for new folks). It appears to be the cheapest of all providers. I have my own modem and Wifi device at all homes (they’re cheap at Wal-Mart; don’t rent).

3. PHONE is up to you. I have rentals and so don’t have phones. But I did buy MagicJack on Heba’s recommendation so I have a phone now at my 3br. The device costs $50 onetime fee and it’s $20/yr for service. Note, that’s PER YEAR, not per month like the local phone companies. But for older folks, it takes being a bit computer savvy to get it all done. Other options are to ask your provider for a special low introductory rate. magicjack.com

4. No, I’m not a salesman, but if you switch and say I referred you, you get $10 off per month for 10 months. I used a lady’s account number from TOTV to get that. You too can have a bill for just $18.00 with taxes like I do ay my villa (one TV, no HD). Use acct # 14118982 to get $10 off when you call Select Choice TV.

E-mail me with any questions. I’m glad I switched. Picture is beautiful (even on non-HD TV at my villa). Enjoy the savings, and I’m happy to share what I’ve learned in the last 3 weeks.
Jszyman806@aol.com - Jeff
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird921 View Post

2. For INTERNET go with Comcast for $19.99/mo. Call 1-800-COMCAST. I was already a Comcast subscriber for cable and Internet. Their $19.99 rate is good for a year, and they gave me that rate no problem to keep me (normally just for new folks). It appears to be the cheapest of all providers. I have my own modem and Wifi device at all homes (they’re cheap at Wal-Mart; don’t rent).

What is the internet speed??? Heard of a lot of issues with Comcast.....customer service and pricing issues over time.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 AM

3 mbp speed - very sufficient for e-mail check and standard web surfing (this is a rental home)

I was ready for issues when I called Comcast to get just Internet for $19.99/mo but had none at all. Agent was very fast and efficient and wanted to keep me as a customer. I didn't even have to play the "I have 3 homes" card either. I have a lot of extra $ in my pocket each month now and very reliable TV (more channels than Comcast basic!) & Internet now.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

ComCast Internet 19.99 for one year.. What does it go to after that??????
A friend has the 3MB and it is super slow. But they pay like 39.99 or 49.99 They told me,,,
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM

this speed will only work for email and mild surfing. if you sign up for this you agree to pay for 24 months after the first year at the GOING rate, not your current rate. There is no free lunch.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Default Comcast & Direct TV

$19.95/mo - year 1 (again, ask for it EVEN if you are paying more now with Comcast) - surf speed is fine; I wouldn't watch TV from my computer though.
$39.95/mo thereafter (I have no contract)

This is still great average, blended rate of $29.95 for 2 years. Nothing is free, but I'm always seeking to get my fixed costs down (they're not truly fixed; have to work at it a bit.)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

that speed reminds me of dial-up
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 AM

After the first year (select choice) direct tv will go up $70 with 2 TVs, with basic channels. Your internet will go up to $39. not to mention those tax surprises . I have prism tv and it cost me $120. after the first year with internet. I really don't see much savings. I also use Roku and smart tv, so I need high speed internet to get my streaming movies.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Default Direct TV

Got Direct TV at all 3 properties now, and it's been great. Yes the $24.99 is intro rate, but it's a great value for what you get (130 channels - I love the music channels and so do my tenants!)

When I visited The Villages in mid July I was noticing more an more "dishes". Seems like almost 40% of homes have them now.

My folks will also be switching when their special Prism rate is up in another 2 months.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Default Not too slow for us

We pay $14.99 mo. to Time Warner in Ohio for 2 MB speed - we think it's fine for email and surfing. No contract. We pay it year-round because it's so cheap here. Yes, takes a couple of seconds to upload a page, but nothing like dial-up was. Of course, might depend on your computer also. We have a 5 yr old Macbook laptop and a year old Samsung table. Works for me vs. $50 or more Centurylink DSL in The Villages. We already have Directv.

When we return, I'll contact Comcast to see if they're still doing the $19.99/mo thing. Was a lot more when I checked a few months ago. Am guessing this is a 2 year contract? Probably worth switching back and forth for internet every 2 years or whatever, except that when we put it on vacation, doesn't count toward the contract time.

We currently have a landline with Centurylink but could live without that as we have gotten used to cell phones only in Ohio for the summer, or like the OP said, get MagicJack.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Gold member

Good information
Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird921 View Post

I’m a teacher and live in RI but have 3 rental homes in The Villages (3br in Springdale, 2br Caroline, and a villa in Hillsborough). A tip here on TOTV led me to save big $. See below. I had Direct TV installed at 2 homes in May and will have the final one done when I visit in July.

1. Call Select Choice TV in Summerfield (third party broker for all providers) at 352-553-4921. I kept their ad from a Villages magazine in April and got Heba when I called (she has been great) but anyone can help. Her e-mail: hrobinson@selectchoicetv.com Get DIRECT TV. Free installation. It took less than 2 hours from time guy arrived until he was done. $24.99/mo for a year for the basic SELECT package (but that’s about 130 channels and free movie channels for 3 months). I added HD (high definition) at my 3br because I’ll be moving there in a year or so. That’s $10/mo. Each additional TV is $6/mo.

3. PHONE is up to you. I have rentals and so don’t have phones. But I did buy MagicJack on Heba’s recommendation so I have a phone now at my 3br. The device costs $50 onetime fee and it’s $20/yr for service. Note, that’s PER YEAR, not per month like the local phone companies. But for older folks, it takes being a bit computer savvy to get it all done. Other options are to ask your provider for a special low introductory rate. magicjack.com

4. No, I’m not a salesman, but if you switch and say I referred you, you get $10 off per month for 10 months. I used a lady’s account number from TOTV to get that. You too can have a bill for just $18.00 with taxes like I do ay my villa (one TV, no HD). Use acct # 14118982 to get $10 off when you call Select Choice TV.

E-mail me with any questions. I’m glad I switched. Picture is beautiful (even on non-HD TV at my villa). Enjoy the savings, and I’m happy to share what I’ve learned in the last 3 weeks.
Your info is geared more for people, who rent their homes out on a yearly basis.
1. The TV package is the standard offering, and anyone can get that.
2. Comcast is not always the best option, due to customer non service.
3. MagicJack is the way to go to keep phone bills at a minimum, but you have to be tech savvy to set one up.
4. Sorry, but asking people you don't know for referrals, seems to me a way to lower your own bill. Hence, all this info, that some people already know.

This may work for rental properties, but for those who live here permanetly, it's not a total solution, To get what one wants and be satisfied with all vendors, one must take the more upgraded packages. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

I would be more interested in costs AFTER specials expire
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM

You are absolutely right about COMCAST having NO service to speak of. So far I have about 4 plus hours speaking to the Philippines, a trip to Leesburg to pick up a new modem and a LOT of frustration in my latest bout with Comcast after a thunderstorm got the modem. (Yes thru multiple surge protectors)

They managed to get the internet back and then lied to me telling me that an "emergency tech appointment" had been made for me for Sunday morning between 8 and 10 am. At 11:15 AM I called the main number again and was told (by the computer) that my service was actually scheduled for Tuesday between 1 and 3 PM .

BEWARE COMCAST - unless you have lots of patience and time to kill. Our TV service is DirecTv and has always been problem free although they do try to jack you up regularly
at which time you have to tell them you are leaving and they will generally back down.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.