Aeration of Putting Greens

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2021, 09:10 AM
Default Aeration of Putting Greens

Although there is schedule published when the putting greens are to be aerated, which can vary due to circumstance, afterwards the greens are often unplayable depending upon the type of dressing applied or the depth of the aeration.

Paying full price, or any price for that matter, to play on unplayable greens is wrong. After greens are aerated the course should be shut down to play for a reasonable amount of time, at least a week, to allow the greens to heal and be playable.

I have suggested this several times via many methods and have never received a reply and obviously no action. Any suggestion from those who agree would be appreciated and followed through.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
Although there is schedule published when the putting greens are to be aerated, which can vary due to circumstance, afterwards the greens are often unplayable depending upon the type of dressing applied or the depth of the aeration.

Paying full price, or any price for that matter, to play on unplayable greens is wrong. After greens are aerated the course should be shut down to play for a reasonable amount of time, at least a week, to allow the greens to heal and be playable.

I have suggested this several times via many methods and have never received a reply and obviously no action. Any suggestion from those who agree would be appreciated and followed through.
And one could ask first......

And one could play the course and the conditions knowing that their playing partners are doing the same.

We compete against others and we are challenged by the course.

And I am jealous. After forty years of golf that sometimes made me smile and sometimes made me swear, I can't anymore.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Just pass on the courses that have aerated recently the choice to play or not is up to YOU.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:52 AM

It's ALL about MONEY, if they close down then they will see none of it.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:10 AM

We all have a choice to either play the courses that have not been aerated in the past two weeks or to pay the full fee and play ones that have been. Our choice. Easy decision.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Shutting the courses down while the greens heal would open a whole different can of worms & possibly annoy even more people. In times past, when greens were in rough shape due to aeration/sanding/etc, my friends & I would agree just to call it a 2-putt (within a reasonable, agreed upon distance), pick up & move on. It made it much more enjoyable than grumbling about what the aeration holes did to otherwise 'perfect' putts! I had some pretty good rounds playing under 'winter' rules.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
Shutting the courses down while the greens heal would open a whole different can of worms & possibly annoy even more people. In times past, when greens were in rough shape due to aeration/sanding/etc, my friends & I would agree just to call it a 2-putt (within a reasonable, agreed upon distance), pick up & move on. It made it much more enjoyable than grumbling about what the aeration holes did to otherwise 'perfect' putts! I had some pretty good rounds playing under 'winter' rules.
I just play tee to green and don't take the putts seriously. And I like that the courses that are aerated are less crowded.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Agree freshly aerated greens are almost unplayable ,we use the two putt rule and enjoy ourselves .
Old 08-25-2021, 06:11 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
I just play tee to green and don't take the putts seriously. And I like that the courses that are aerated are less crowded.
Makes it easier for the TEE TIMES system to put your larger group in if you don't de-select the freshly aerated greens.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:15 AM

I kind of like playing on punched greens…it gives me a built in excuse for putting badly.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
We all have a choice to either play the courses that have not been aerated in the past two weeks or to pay the full fee and play ones that have been. Our choice. Easy decision.
Totally agree. I guess complaints were slim today and thats all that could be thought of to post. Lol
Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 AM

Do one half of the green at a time, put the pin on the other half.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:23 AM

You are absolutely right. Either shut down play for a week or charge a reduced rate. It seems that the courses here are aerated 4 times a year.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
You are absolutely right. Either shut down play for a week or charge a reduced rate. It seems that the courses here are aerated 4 times a year.
..................basic course maintenance. Real golfers understand the necessity.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/turf...20Schedule.pdf

Last edited by stanley; 08-25-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Sorry, the courses are done twice a year with the exception of TDS, three times of the year because of the grass they are using on the greens.
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, aeration, price, unplayable, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.