Championship Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Default Championship Conditions

Being a pretty good golfer with a handicap in single digits I get somewhat picky on certain course conditions. My primary pet peeve is green and cup conditions.

Why cant the cups be installed correctly with nice crisp cut edges so puts will go inside the hole and not rim out because of rounded edges. This is normally a condition caused by not changing the location of the hole on a daily basis. Also...how many times do I see putts tracking perfectly to the hole only to see it veer off course at the very end because of a crowned cup? Its frustrating because the greens now are in a dormant stage of growth and very fast. Putts, especially longer ones say over 10 feet cannot be hit firm or youll have another 5 footer coming back.

OK Im done.Opinions please.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevko05 View Post
Being a pretty good golfer with a handicap in single digits I get somewhat picky on certain course conditions. My primary pet peeve is green and cup conditions.

Why cant the cups be installed correctly with nice crisp cut edges so puts will go inside the hole and not rim out because of rounded edges. This is normally a condition caused by not changing the location of the hole on a daily basis. Also...how many times do I see putts tracking perfectly to the hole only to see it veer off course at the very end because of a crowned cup? Its frustrating because the greens now are in a dormant stage of growth and very fast. Putts, especially longer ones say over 10 feet cannot be hit firm or youll have another 5 footer coming back.

Suggest you start here with your concerns. I doubt if anyone on here can address what bothers you.

Country Club Administration 352-753-3396 1030 Lake Sumter Landing

or

The CC pro.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:07 PM

Right on
Old 12-08-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:

Ball pickers, jerking the pin out to retrieve the ball, dragging feet...just to name three reasons
Old 12-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Private Country Clubs cost more & have a better product.

TV is nice, but "you" need to lower "your" expectations........they are "public" courses.

Enjoy the retirement journey.

A putt is only a putt.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Private Country Clubs cost more & have a better product.

TV is nice, but "you" need to lower "your" expectations........they are "public" courses.

Enjoy the retirement journey.

A putt is only a putt.
Yep.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:05 PM

notice when people step up to the cup, to take out their ball, that they step right near the hole, leaving an imprint next to the hole, thus the appearance of a crowned hole
Old 12-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
notice when people step up to the cup, to take out their ball, that they step right near the hole, leaving an imprint next to the hole, thus the appearance of a crowned hole
What goes around usually also comes around. I have had good puts veer away from at the hole and had not so good puts veer into the hole. It all seems to balance out at the end of the day. It is just always much easier to remember the "what if" puts than the "that was a lucky break" puts. At this point in my life I am just happy to be healthy enough to get out often and enjoy another day on the links. Golf On : )
Old 12-09-2020, 06:10 AM

For the many people who really enjoy golf, including very many that used to belong to a country clubs, the course conditions here are disappointing. They do seem to have gotten better in the last few years. The fairways have more grass and the greens have improved. But, I agree with the original author. I would gladly pay a fee more dollars for a course where greens are kept fast and cups are crisper so that we can enjoy one of our favorite activities the way that we spent many years enjoying it. At least one course please. How much money can that cost? Very many people would be really happy.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:27 AM

Oh my bad. I thought a golf course was supposed to be challenging and golfers ability to read the grass a sign of a good golfer.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:38 AM
Default A lot to think about

Quote:

I think the conditions could be a little better overall. Course to course they are decent for the most part, but still s little inconsistent. I’d be more concerned about the rising fees. Okay, don’t jump on me. I know they didn’t raise them for next year, but extending the “winter” rates THROUGH MAY!!!!!
I would hope between amenity fees and the amount of play, they could keep the fees at least fair. Oh.....and what happened to play as much as you want after 3:00 in the summer
Old 12-09-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Doughnut effect when the hole is cut. That is my excuse.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Even more frustrating are those who step up to cup, pull out ball and then step over cup leaving a major heel print next to cup. See it on pga as well. Should be a penalty. Greens keeper told me years ago it takes up to 4 hours for foot impressions to fully recover.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:39 AM

Agree with the crowned cups, a putt killer particularly when putting from above the hole and you're depending on the slope to do the job to get the ball to the hole, but any putt struck that's just making ot to the hole. I think the holes are cut clean, but too many players remove their ball from the cup by using their putter head, not a good result.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:18 AM

My golf group has the same problem with crowned cups. They do not correctly tamp down the area when they install the cup. We have gotten into the habit of tamping the area around the cup with our putter to level it. This seems to work pretty well. I see ragged cut cups all the time an attribute that to dull cup cutters. TV is not known for professional cup setters. I've complained many times to golf administration and pro shop managers, all to no resolving changes. So, we tamp the cups when we get on the green. Actually, we've looked at USGA rules, and you can interpret the rule that says "unnatural green interruptions may be repaired" to allow for cup tamping since it's not natural for a cup to be crowned...at least that's what our group has decided.
Closed Thread

Tags
conditions, hole, putts, edges, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.