Championship Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
My golf group has the same problem with crowned cups. They do not correctly tamp down the area when they install the cup. We have gotten into the habit of tamping the area around the cup with our putter to level it. This seems to work pretty well. I see ragged cut cups all the time an attribute that to dull cup cutters. TV is not known for professional cup setters. I've complained many times to golf administration and pro shop managers, all to no resolving changes. So, we tamp the cups when we get on the green. Actually, we've looked at USGA rules, and you can interpret the rule that says "unnatural green interruptions may be repaired" to allow for cup tamping since it's not natural for a cup to be crowned...at least that's what our group has decided.
You are not in a sanctioned tourney........just tap it down and play the recreational game you are attempting to play.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM

If you think the championship course conditions are bad, try the executive courses. Same problems with the cups and the greens are no where near as consistent. There are just too many people playing golf here. Try some of the 'out-of-the-bubble' courses if you want a better game.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:51 AM

I wish my putts got close enough to the hole for this to be a problem I’m just trying to get it within the circle of love!!! How lucky are we that this would be an issue.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:09 AM

Not to mention those who shove the grips of their putters with suction cups down into the cup and Jenkins them out. Actually nearly every green in the Villages is in top shape right now, smooth and fast. One thing that did bother me was playing at Havana last week and noticing several old cups that were sunken below the green surface by about a quarter of an inch. Have never seen that here before.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Same for everyone! So being a single digit handicap golfer means you're immune to missing putts?
Old 12-09-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You are not in a sanctioned tourney........just tap it down and play the recreational game you are attempting to play.
It is only a game but many of us take pride in our handicaps (the non sandbaggers). You cannot properly tamp down the volcano around a golf hole with your putter. Greenskeepers need only take a few extra seconds to cut and prepare the holes correctly.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoule View Post
Same for everyone! So being a single digit handicap golfer means you're immune to missing putts?
Nope, jus looking for excuses.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Private Country Clubs cost more & have a better product.

TV is nice, but "you" need to lower "your" expectations........they are "public" courses.

Enjoy the retirement journey.

A putt is only a putt.
That is just not true. A priority member playing 3 times a week pays roughly $7,000/year. If the spouse does the same it’s doubled. Most clubs within 45 minutes of TV cost $4-500/month for a membership. You are paying a large premium for golf cart access and multi-course availability.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
That is just not true. A priority member playing 3 times a week pays roughly $7,000/year. If the spouse does the same it’s doubled. Most clubs within 45 minutes of TV cost $4-500/month for a membership. You are paying a large premium for golf cart access and multi-course availability.
You forgot the $25,000 private club buy-in. You forgot a private club only has 18 or 36 holes. You forgot you get to play the executive courses free. You forgot there are no
special assessments to golf at TV.

AND the great thing is you don't have to pay or play at TV.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You forgot the $25,000 private club buy-in. You forgot a private club only has 18 or 36 holes. You forgot you get to play the executive courses free. You forgot there are no
special assessments to golf at TV.

AND the great thing is you don't have to pay or play at TV.

Did you actually read my post?

I know of only one course reasonably close by the charges more than a $5000 initiation fee. If there are two players in the household, he would recoup your investment in one year. As to the executive courses being free, well, they ought to be because they really aren’t golf courses. They are simply a nice recreational area for retirees to get outside and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
Did you actually read my post?

I know of only one course reasonably close by the charges more than a $5000 initiation fee. If there are two players in the household, he would recoup your investment in one year. As to the executive courses being free, well, they ought to be because they really aren’t golf courses.
They are simply a nice recreational area for retirees to get outside and enjoy.
That is what all courses are in TV.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:50 AM

I feel your pain. The cause can be found in maintenance. The employees are landscaping crews and not trained grounds keepers. When I see a poorly cut cup, I take a picture and show it to the pro or manager after my round and always get a positive response and thanks. The pros know who to contact and in my experience they are truly concerned about keeping their course in top condition. Sadly, I am not a single digit handicap player but I can’t blame that on anything or anyone
Old 12-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
Oh my bad. I thought a golf course was supposed to be challenging and golfers ability to read the grass a sign of a good golfer.
Your comment has nothing to do with the discussion. It is obvious by your comment you are not a golfer. You may play the game of golf but you are not A Golfer.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:17 PM

In TV, you need to putt to the back of the hole rather than die the putt at the hole. With the amount of play these courses get, and the golfers who think its the maintainance job to fix ball marks, rake traps, and fix divots, we have to play em as we find em.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 PM

My whole reason for this post are to make aware of the cup installation conditions only. Not ball marks or other noticeable intangibles of the courses. There is NO reason why cups cant be properly installed with crisp cut edges to give the golfer the best opportunity to make a putt. . There is a science to this process and no cost at all involved to do it properly. For me there is no excuse other than inexperience or laziness. If maintenance workers are installing the cups, please teach them how to do it properly. Every golfer would appreciate this effort. Thank you
Closed Thread

Tags
conditions, hole, putts, edges, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.