Championship Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2020, 08:01 AM

Here we go. You can find anything on youtube.

Golf Course Maintenance - Cutting Cups 101 - YouTube
Old 12-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
Did you actually read my post?

I know of only one course reasonably close by the charges more than a $5000 initiation fee. If there are two players in the household, he would recoup your investment in one year. As to the executive courses being free, well, they ought to be because they really aren’t golf courses. They are simply a nice recreational area for retirees to get outside and enjoy.
First of all, I don't play the execs much, as I enjoy the championship courses more. That being said, I wholeheartedly disagree with your description of the executive courses. I challenge anyone to play any of the Category 4 courses in The Villages from the back tees and then describe any of them as simply "nice recreational area(s) for retirees".
Old 12-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevko05 View Post
Being a pretty good golfer with a handicap in single digits I get somewhat picky on certain course conditions. My primary pet peeve is green and cup conditions.

Why cant the cups be installed correctly with nice crisp cut edges so puts will go inside the hole and not rim out because of rounded edges. This is normally a condition caused by not changing the location of the hole on a daily basis. Also...how many times do I see putts tracking perfectly to the hole only to see it veer off course at the very end because of a crowned cup? Its frustrating because the greens now are in a dormant stage of growth and very fast. Putts, especially longer ones say over 10 feet cannot be hit firm or youll have another 5 footer coming back.

OK Im done.Opinions please.
If you're a good player and are used to playing on good conditions, you won't be happy with these golf courses. Conditions range from mediocre to horrible. As another poster said, they are public courses. I would add that they are not the best conditioned public courses that I have seen.

if you're going to play here and want to stay in The Villages you eventually have to learn to accept that what it is.

There are some decent public courses within an hours drive of The Villages. Many have lower green fees as well. The Villages courses are under maintained and over priced. But they are convenient.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
First of all, I don't play the execs much, as I enjoy the championship courses more. That being said, I wholeheartedly disagree with your description of the executive courses. I challenge anyone to play any of the Category 4 courses in The Villages from the back tees and then describe any of them as simply "nice recreational area(s) for retirees".
I agree. From the back tees, some of the executive courses are extremely difficult. I played the two course at Fenney about a year ago. I started on the back tees on one moved up after three holes. I'm 69 years old and obviously don't hit as far as I used to but I don't get a lot of pleasure hitting three wood on par threes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If you're a good player and are used to playing on good conditions, you won't be happy with these golf courses. Conditions range from mediocre to horrible. As another poster said, they are public courses. I would add that they are not the best conditioned public courses that I have seen.

if you're going to play here and want to stay in The Villages you eventually have to learn to accept that what it is.

There are some decent public courses within an hours drive of The Villages. Many have lower green fees as well. The Villages courses are under maintained and over priced. But they are convenient.
Are TV courses ready to host a U.S. Open? Not quite.

But I played golf at the college level and have played many of the best courses in the country. I thoroughly enjoy playing the champ courses in TV.

The conditions vary some as is typical with most courses. But I disagree absolutely with those who describe TV courses as horrible and inferior to other courses in the area.

Keep it in the short grass.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Are TV courses ready to host a U.S. Open? Not quite.

That's unfortunate, there are a few Villagers that think they are ready for it.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
I certainly agree about the back tees.
Wife and I play with so many who still insist on playing from the Back, when in skill level, the front Tees would be a challenge to them.
Ego is hard to overcome!
Old 12-11-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevko05 View Post
Being a pretty good golfer with a handicap in single digits I get somewhat picky on certain course conditions. My primary pet peeve is green and cup conditions.

Why cant the cups be installed correctly with nice crisp cut edges so puts will go inside the hole and not rim out because of rounded edges. This is normally a condition caused by not changing the location of the hole on a daily basis. Also...how many times do I see putts tracking perfectly to the hole only to see it veer off course at the very end because of a crowned cup? Its frustrating because the greens now are in a dormant stage of growth and very fast. Putts, especially longer ones say over 10 feet cannot be hit firm or youll have another 5 footer coming back.

OK Im done.Opinions please.
Not sure this is true but, I think they don’t tap down that area around the cup enough. At home they did and putts rolled truer and did not hang on the edge of the cup. I thought is that they don’t have a personal to do it fast enough every day, so they just don’t do it.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 AM

I guess the only reason they’re complaining — I mean, everybody has got to play the same golf course,” Koepka said. “So it really doesn’t make a difference. It doesn’t make a difference if you put it in the fairway and you hit every green, there’s really no problem, is there? So obviously they’re not doing what they’re supposed to do. So they’re not playing good enough. If they put it in the fairway, you shouldn’t have to complain about the rough. You hit the greens and you hit it close, you shouldn’t have to complain about the greens.

"I’ve just been never one to complain, make excuses. It doesn’t matter. Nobody wants to hear anybody’s excuse. I find it annoying even when I play with guys and they’re dropping clubs or throwing them or complaining, like telling me how bad the golf course is or how bad this is. I don’t want to hear it. I don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s just something we’ve all got to deal with. If you play good enough, you shouldn’t have a problem.”

This from someone who must make money at what we call an "activity". Told by my original coach, my father, that if you complain about the course, stop playing!!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:10 AM

Improper installation of cups, is not a 'challenging' green. It's just laziness!
Old 12-15-2020, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=kevko05;1870989]Being a pretty good golfer with a handicap in single digits I get somewhat picky on certain course conditions. My primary pet peeve is green and cup conditions.

Go on tour if you don't like the cups
Old 12-16-2020, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
There are some really challenging holes on executive courses. Back in the day I would only play the back tees, now I will play what the group is playing. I find it makes no difference which tee because they all are great practice!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Private Country Clubs cost more & have a better product.

TV is nice, but "you" need to lower "your" expectations........they are "public" courses.

Enjoy the retirement journey.

A putt is only a putt.
#1. They DON'T cost more. $47 plus the cost of priority is up there in my world.
#2. TV is nice until we talk about $47+ to play painted dirt and dead painted greens and tee boxes.
#3. Enjoy it? That's like someone takin a sledgehammer to the side of your car and sayin, meh, enjoy the ride.
#4. A putt is only a putt. Spoken by a true 40 hcp
Old 01-23-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethwill View Post
Improper installation of cups, is not a 'challenging' green. It's just laziness!
It's not "laziness" either.
They can't change them often because the greens are not growing.
the scars from the old holes can be seen all over every green.
So, I don't think it's necessarily bad installation.

Man, I miss playin on rye.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
#1. They DON'T cost more. $47 plus the cost of priority is up there in my world.
#2. TV is nice until we talk about $47+ to play painted dirt and dead painted greens and tee boxes.
#3. Enjoy it? That's like someone takin a sledgehammer to the side of your car and sayin, meh, enjoy the ride.
#4. A putt is only a putt. Spoken by a true 40 hcp

Very simple, don't play.............then you don't have to whine.

Tags
conditions, hole, putts, edges, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.