Championship Course Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Default Championship Course Conditions

Played Hacienda Hills Golf course this past Friday. By the way it can't be called a Country Club anymore, because it has no club house, swimming pool or restaurant anymore thanks to the developer. Anyway, the Golf pro who is in charge should look for another line of work. The hitting cages are a mess and the netting needs to be replaced. The sand traps looked like they were be worked on, then just quite working on them. The so-called practice putting green in half dirt and half grass. And they raised the prices this year on so-called "companionship golf course's and the course conditions are in worse shape ever, and I have been playing golf here in The Villages for over 20 years!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Golfer View Post
Played Hacienda Hills Golf course this past Friday. By the way it can't be called a Country Club anymore, because it has no club house, swimming pool or restaurant anymore thanks to the developer. Anyway, the Golf pro who is in charge should look for another line of work. The hitting cages are a mess and the netting needs to be replaced. The sand traps looked like they were be worked on, then just quite working on them. The so-called practice putting green in half dirt and half grass. And they raised the prices this year on so-called "companionship golf course's and the course conditions are in worse shape ever, and I have been playing golf here in The Villages for over 20 years!
Totally agree with your first point, that Hacienda Hills can no longer be considered a Country Club. What has happened there (and is planned for the future) is totally deplorable. As far as the conditions are concerned, I have to disagree. I have played there three times in the last month and found the conditions to be acceptable, if not a little better than some of the other Championship courses. That being said, I only used the course facilities, not the practice/warm-up facilities. Perhaps they are letting the practice facilities go since the plan is to build a multi-story apartment complex in that area?
Old 04-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

I thought the conditions were fine as well.

Name really doesn't matter.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:02 PM

Move South that's where they care!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 AM

Only one championship course planned south of 44 so far.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:33 AM
Gold member

The course is in very good condition and has been for months. But I agree that the putting green is awful, mostly dirt/sand and not anything like the greens on the course. But overall, this course is one of the best conditioned courses in The Villages right now.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:33 AM

Off campus man
Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 AM

I feel for the people that live on the course, or the demolished site... it would seem a nightmare to sell a house there.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
Only one championship course planned south of 44 so far.
Two actually, but not enough. Need another set of executive courses past St Catherine as well, in our opinion 🏌️*♀️
Old 04-15-2021, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_Girl View Post
I feel for the people that live on the course, or the demolished site... it would seem a nightmare to sell a house there.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I thought the conditions were fine as well.

Name really doesn't matter.
I agree Dewilson, and further.........

There are a lot of anti-developer posts on this thread in my opinion. The restaurant closed because no one wanted to rent it. It was offered for sale to the AAC for a very reasonable price. (The AAC not the CDD)...because a group had sued the developer and won control of that area. The AAC didn't buy the property.

I thought the original suit giving control to the AAC in that area was at least part a power play by a lot of people then in the POA. THAT WAS MY OPINION.

I still "feel" the drum beats on this thread from people who in my opinion are anti-developer and probably anti-capitalism and maybe jealous of financial success. THAT is MY OPINION.

I myself have been satisfied, actually more than satisfied living in The Villages and often think the form of government here, the CDD, is more effective than that of similar and even larger municipalities. I do not sell real estate, and have never sold real estate and do not know any Morses, other than meeting once in person the half brother who lives in our village. My name is Grace Helene Gantner and you can friend me on Facebook to peek at my real life.

I am a satisfied customer. I just read things and wonder about stuff.

The Villages does not need my support. They are extremely successful at selling houses and re-selling houses. The homes near the closed Hacienda Country Club are selling well and quickly and for a lot more money than people paid for them. Just watch the market like I enjoy doing.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-15-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

None of the so called championship golf courses should rightly be called country clubs or championship courses for that matter.

They are simply regulation, public golf courses with an open to the public restaurants on the property. They are no different from the thousands of public golf courses across the country except that they are over priced for the poor to mediocre condition that they usually are in.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
None of the so called championship golf courses should rightly be called country clubs or championship courses for that matter.

They are simply regulation, public golf courses with an open to the public restaurants on the property. They are no different from the thousands of public golf courses across the country except that they are over priced for the poor to mediocre condition that they usually are in.
But they offer one very special feature that other public courses do not. You can load up your own golf cart and pull out of your garage, close the door with the clicker that is attached to your golf cart, and drive your cart to and from the course. I can get to 9 Championship courses quicker in my golf cart than I can get to any course up north in my truck, and the other 3 courses in about the same amount of time. That is definitely worth something.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree Dewilson, and further.........

There are a lot of anti-developer posts on this thread in my opinion. The restaurant closed because no one wanted to rent it. It was offered for sale to the AAC for a very reasonable price. (The AAC not the CDD)...because a group had sued the developer and won control of that area. The AAC didn't buy the property.

I thought the original suit giving control to the AAC in that area was at least part a power play by a lot of people then in the POA. THAT WAS MY OPINION.

I still "feel" the drum beats on this thread from people who in my opinion are anti-developer and probably anti-capitalism and maybe jealous of financial success. THAT is MY OPINION.

I myself have been satisfied, actually more than satisfied living in The Villages and often think the form of government here, the CDD, is more effective than that of similar and even larger municipalities. I do not sell real estate, and have never sold real estate and do not know any Morses, other than meeting once in person the half brother who lives in our village. My name is Grace Helene Gantner and you can friend me on Facebook to peek at my real life.

I am a satisfied customer. I just read things and wonder about stuff.

The Villages does not need my support. They are extremely successful at selling houses and re-selling houses. The homes near the closed Hacienda Country Club are selling well and quickly and for a lot more money than people paid for them. Just watch the market like I enjoy doing.
I'm not anti-developer or anti-capitalism by any means but you're not telling the whole story here.

The Hacienda Hills restaurant was very poorly managed. One of the problems was that it catered to the very old clientele that had been going there for years. As those people died off, younger villagers would go there and were not happy with the way things were being done. Management didn't want to change because they were afraid of losing their dwindling but loyal customer base.

As a result, the quality of the food and service began to go downhill. The last owner did make a last ditch effort to appeal to a younger client base but it was probably too late. He was losing money and couldn't maintain decent standards. That led to even fewer people patronizing the restaurant.

Eventually, his lease was up for renewal. The Villages saw the writing on the wall and increased the lease to a number that made it impossible for the restaurant to remain viable. I can't say for sue but they may have had the idea of shutting it down and building and apartment building in it's place when they did this.

Nothing wrong with that, it's their property, they have every right to do whatever they want with it. But if they could have made more money by leaving it as a restaurant I'm sure that they would have. If the previous lease holder could have made it work I'm sure that he would have paid the higher lease and updated the restaurant to appeal to a different clientele.

But the fact is that it was mismanaged. The food was terrible, the service had gone downhill and the building was deteriorating. They had been closed several times for health code violations. That is an indication of not enough money to maintain a business and also mean fewer people will want to eat there.

I'm a musician and played there several times. The room had terrible acoustics and was a horror to try to play in. My musician friends call it the room from hell. Most of the country clubs have music. Hacienda Hills had quiet dinner music geared to the over 90 crowd. When they tried to introduce music for a later generation, the over 90 crowd left and musicians like myself found the room very difficult to play in.

The whole thing was just a mess and I was glad to see that building taken down. I'd rather see them put up another restaurant that would cater to a younger clientele but that's me. I don't own the property and the owners are going to do what's best for them. I don't blame them one bit.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm not anti-developer or anti-capitalism by any means but you're not telling the whole story here.

The Hacienda Hills restaurant was very poorly managed. One of the problems was that it catered to the very old clientele that had been going there for years. As those people died off, younger villagers would go there and were not happy with the way things were being done. Management didn't want to change because they were afraid of losing their dwindling but loyal customer base.

As a result, the quality of the food and service began to go downhill. The last owner did make a last ditch effort to appeal to a younger client base but it was probably too late. He was losing money and couldn't maintain decent standards. That led to even fewer people patronizing the restaurant.

Eventually, his lease was up for renewal. The Villages saw the writing on the wall and increased the lease to a number that made it impossible for the restaurant to remain viable. I can't say for sue but they may have had the idea of shutting it down and building and apartment building in it's place when they did this.

Nothing wrong with that, it's their property, they have every right to do whatever they want with it. But if they could have made more money by leaving it as a restaurant I'm sure that they would have. If the previous lease holder could have made it work I'm sure that he would have paid the higher lease and updated the restaurant to appeal to a different clientele.

But the fact is that it was mismanaged. The food was terrible, the service had gone downhill and the building was deteriorating. They had been closed several times for health code violations. That is an indication of not enough money to maintain a business and also mean fewer people will want to eat there.

I'm a musician and played there several times. The room had terrible acoustics and was a horror to try to play in. My musician friends call it the room from hell. Most of the country clubs have music. Hacienda Hills had quiet dinner music geared to the over 90 crowd. When they tried to introduce music for a later generation, the over 90 crowd left and musicians like myself found the room very difficult to play in.

The whole thing was just a mess and I was glad to see that building taken down. I'd rather see them put up another restaurant that would cater to a younger clientele but that's me. I don't own the property and the owners are going to do what's best for them. I don't blame them one bit.
To be clear-er.

Management were the people who rented the building from the developer in the last ten years. I had not seen any evidence about an increase of rent. I think that prospective leasers were discouraged by the previous failures. It was very true that THE ACOUSTICS were a nightmare in that room. You couldn't hear your dinner companion.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-15-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, half, so-called, anymore, club

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.