Championship courses and the Afternoon wave

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That’s true to explain the delays in the current system. Points to a flaw in the system though imho...there’s no such thing as playing too fast!!
Everywhere I have ever played (except here) those making the turn have right of way
Old 01-23-2021, 06:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This was discussed just two days ago on the thread "Say Goodbye to the Wave at the Championship courses", I posted a solution that a few people agreed should be adopted, here it is again. Now we need to take this to management and have them put in use.

There would be no wave, those playing 18 holes would have teetimes all day every 8 minutes on Destin in my example below and all those playing 9 holes would have teetimes every 8 minutes on Ft. Walton. The current wave system does not promote faster play.
Could they have the wave system in the morning so they can cram as many golfers in as possible and in the afternoon go to straight 18 and one course for 9 hole only
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Default True but flawed

Quote:
This was discussed just two days ago on the thread "Say Goodbye to the Wave at the Championship courses", I posted a solution that a few people agreed should be adopted, here it is again. Now we need to take this to management and have them put in use.

There would be no wave, those playing 18 holes would have teetimes all day every 8 minutes on Destin in my example below and all those playing 9 holes would have teetimes every 8 minutes on Ft. Walton. The current wave system does not promote faster play.
The problem or should i say the challenge is how to maximize the 27 hole layout on most of the courses. If you only have 18 holes it is simple as you use #1 for 18 hole times and #10 for 9 hole rounds for two hours. After that everything is straight forward.
With 27 holes the Wave is the most efficient way to get the maximum number of golfers through in the course of the day. The hazard of the wave, as you previously stated, it is dependent upon a normal pace of play. Anything slower or faster brings out conflict.
The wave is to facilitate maximum number of players.

Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 01-23-2021 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1224 View Post
I often get the 1st or second tee times for the afternoon wave, I find that after completing the first nine which often goes very quickly, The courses often fill in 2 to 3 foursomes in between the waves, from then on I find that the fill-ins play very slowly and it make the continuity of play very disruptive. we would normally finish around 4:00 pm and now we are lucky to finish near 5:00 pm.

This practice of adding in a couple of foursomes into the wave is very disruptive to the players trying to complete their rounds, stop closing off a course in the PM and put 9 hole players on that course
You are 1,000 percent correct!!!!!! That happens all the time. There were several occasions when we waited for a half hour. It makes no sense. Maybe someone can tell me why they close nine? Your just putting more wear and tear on the others. Just makes no sense. Kind of like the “winter” rates through MAY!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:31 AM
Default Absolutely

Quote:

I stated something similar. Great idea
Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

The nine hole course is half full on Christmas Day because they can play 18 for FREE.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:38 AM

Sometimes our group has to wait 25 minutes to turn because they let people in who want to play the big course but only want to play nine holes. They usually are late arriving and have to get theirselves together . The starter will not let use go ahead of them. Sometime we could play three holes before they arrive. It’s awful. It’s been this way since I came 13 years ago
Old 01-23-2021, 07:39 AM
Default Wave play

The real problem is, they allow the slow players to take their time. They are most of the time only playing nine holes. If you watch them, they act like they are the only group on the course.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Off campus is not always what it is built up to be. My wife and I decided to try the highly recommended Baseline golf course today. I called to make a t time and was informed the don’t take any, just show up. I told them I was uncomfortable with that as we didn’t want to show up and have a long wait. They assured me the wait is very short, 20 minutes maximum, so we took the risk and drove there. Upon arrival it didn’t look busy so we went into the pro shop and paid, after again asking if there would be a long wait, and were told just pull up to the starter on the first hole and he will get you right out. We paid, loaded up the cart (we hate not using our own cart) and went down the path to the first hole. Around the corner we went to see about 30 carts in line waiting to t off. I walked to the front to find the starter and asked approximately how long our wait would be. He very rudely said, don’t ask me I just work here, you will be able to tee off when your cart gets to the front of the line. Back to the cart I went, and we waited. After a few minutes we asked the group in front of us if they played here often and about how long they expected to wait. They said it was their first time at Baseline and they have been there fore 25 minutes and have not yet moved. I went to the pro shop and asked for a refund, which they reluctantly agreed to and we were out of there, having our days plans wasted. Lesson learned, never go anyplace off campus that does not take t times. We will never go back to that place, and wouldn’t even recommend it to our enemies.

Golfing in the bubble during high season is $$$$$, but we have never had a bad experience in the Villages like we had today at Baseline. Next time we will not worry about saving $50, and wind up wasting the better part of our day.
Baseline is far from reflective or typical of courses outside of TV. Recommend Eagle Ridge (36 holes); very competitive rates with carts. Baseline is the only course I now of that operates on a first come first serve basis. Nice executive course but it can be slow. I generally don't play it in high season.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1224 View Post
I often get the 1st or second tee times for the afternoon wave, I find that after completing the first nine which often goes very quickly, The courses often fill in 2 to 3 foursomes in between the waves, from then on I find that the fill-ins play very slowly and it make the continuity of play very disruptive. we would normally finish around 4:00 pm and now we are lucky to finish near 5:00 pm.

This practice of adding in a couple of foursomes into the wave is very disruptive to the players trying to complete their rounds, stop closing off a course in the PM and put 9 hole players on that course
Slow down and smell the roses!!
Old 01-23-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtexasrn View Post
Slow down and smell the roses!!
Not a golfer.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That’s true to explain the delays in the current system. Points to a flaw in the system though imho...there’s no such thing as playing too fast!!
You are correct. There’s no such thing as playing too fast. However, when you do, you may have to wait on the back nine for people to tee off. I play every Sunday around 7:30 AM and we’re supposed to finish the front nine at 9:30, but we usually finish about 9:15, so we have to wait for the last two tee times on that nine, in the “wave”, to tee off.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 AM

Last time I checked it’s the score that you put down on the card not the time it took you to play.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
You are correct. There’s no such thing as playing too fast. However, when you do, you may have to wait on the back nine for people to tee off. I play every Sunday around 7:30 AM and we’re supposed to finish the front nine at 9:30, but we usually finish about 9:15, so we have to wait for the last two tee times on that nine, in the “wave”, to tee off.
You can tell that to the first group out all the time and they still don't get it.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
There is no wave on Saturday or Sunday. Now through end of May, it’s straight tee times on weekends. You can play 9 or 18. Only weekdays have the wave. Before 8, you can play 9. After 1 you can play 9. This applies to weekdays only.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, play, foursomes, courses, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.