Championship courses and the Afternoon wave

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore! View Post
There is no wave on Saturday or Sunday. Now through end of May, it’s straight tee times on weekends. You can play 9 or 18. Only weekdays have the wave. Before 8, you can play 9. After 1 you can play 9. This applies to weekdays only.
That is so wrong. THERE ARE waves on Saturday and Sunday mornings. YES, you can play nine on the weekends.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

In the Course Etiquette section of The Rules Of Golf:

"In the "Pace of Play" section: "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group."

"In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

TV courses are USGA approved courses, so why are they not following USGA guidelines ? I have never seen a rule by the TV Golf Committee that supersedes this.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
In the Course Etiquette section of The Rules Of Golf:

"In the "Pace of Play" section: "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group."

"In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

TV courses are USGA approved courses, so why are they not following USGA guidelines ? I have never seen a rule by the TV Golf Committee that supersedes this.
"In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play."

The Starters and Ambassadors are "the Committee"

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...y%20day%20play.
1A- General Play

"During general play, the structure of the Committee is often more informal than in competitions, and in many cases the responsibilities of the Committee will be delegated to or undertaken by one or more course representatives, such as the golf professional, course manager or other employee of the course. "

Last edited by stanley; 01-23-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1224 View Post
I often get the 1st or second tee times for the afternoon wave, I find that after completing the first nine which often goes very quickly, The courses often fill in 2 to 3 foursomes in between the waves, from then on I find that the fill-ins play very slowly and it make the continuity of play very disruptive. we would normally finish around 4:00 pm and now we are lucky to finish near 5:00 pm.

This practice of adding in a couple of foursomes into the wave is very disruptive to the players trying to complete their rounds, stop closing off a course in the PM and put 9 hole players on that course
Welcome to The Villages.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Could they have the wave system in the morning so they can cram as many golfers in as possible and in the afternoon go to straight 18 and one course for 9 hole only
That does nothing to solve the problem of no t times between 9:30 and noon.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:52 AM

I play off campus from Jan-March every year and the waves are part of the reason. I spoke with 2 of the Golf Course managers about the wait at the turn with the same results. "You play too fast", in reality they schedule the T-times to maximize the income with no gap in time allowed between the end of a wave and the golfers making the turn. Instead of planning for the first group of the day to play in 2 1/2 hours plan for 1 3/4 hours leaving a open period for "Fast Golfers" or as previously suggested designate one of the 3 nines to accept the people making the turn.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingcnslts View Post
I play off campus from Jan-March every year and the waves are part of the reason. I spoke with 2 of the Golf Course managers about the wait at the turn with the same results. "You play too fast", in reality they schedule the T-times to maximize the income with no gap in time allowed between the end of a wave and the golfers making the turn. Instead of planning for the first group of the day to play in 2 1/2 hours plan for 1 3/4 hours leaving a open period for "Fast Golfers" or as previously suggested designate one of the 3 nines to accept the people making the turn.
The "plan" is for the first groups to play in 2 hrs 8 min, NOT 2 1/2 hrs. (7:28 first tee time, 9:28 last). If you play faster, you WILL hit the wave. They do this to maximize tee times, especially in high season (and profit as well). Separate carts have added to the faster times as well. If you're first out just be aware that arrival at the back 9 quicker than 2:08 will probably result in a short wait. IMHO, that's better than getting stuck behind a group that takes 2:40 to play the front nine. (I'd rather wait 15 minutes at the turn than wait on EVERY shot all 18 holes)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That’s true to explain the delays in the current system. Points to a flaw in the system though imho...there’s no such thing as playing too fast!!
When you have 27 holes, an efficient tee time system will fill 9 holes at a time, within all 3 nines crossing over to another nine. If you finish the first nine under the alotted time (2:08 hours), you will have to wait for the remaining tee times to go before you start the back nine.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
When you have 27 holes, an efficient tee time system will fill 9 holes at a time, within all 3 nines crossing over to another nine. If you finish the first nine under the alotted time (2:08 hours), you will have to wait for the remaining tee times to go before you start the back nine.
I fully understand the system. And I really don’t have a major problem with it, especially at a 27 hole club. Doesn’t change the fact however that it can punish fast play. That part I’m not crazy about.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That is so wrong. THERE ARE waves on Saturday and Sunday mornings. YES, you can play nine on the weekends.
Oops, you are correct. I was thinking summer play
Old 01-23-2021, 01:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
I fully understand the system. And I really don’t have a major problem with it, especially at a 27 hole club. Doesn’t change the fact however that it can punish fast play. That part I’m not crazy about.
To allow for fast play, the number of tee times would be reduced. Is that not punishing others?
Old 01-23-2021, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
To allow for fast play, the number of tee times would be reduced. Is that not punishing others?
I’m not arguing for reduction in the number of tee times. That is exactly the problem with the wave system.

No wave system equals no delay in crossing over...and no need to reduce tee times.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
I’m not arguing for reduction in the number of tee times. That is exactly the problem with the wave system.

No wave system equals no delay in crossing over...and no need to reduce tee times.
And no wave means t times would be available between the desirable time slot of 9:30 and noon. On a typical day, many t times go unfilled between the first available in the morning and around 8:30.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And no wave means t times would be available between the desirable time slot of 9:30 and noon. On a typical day, many t times go unfilled between the first available in the morning and around 8:30.
In either case, wouldn't those early tee times go unfilled anyway????
Old 01-23-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore! View Post
There is no wave on Saturday or Sunday. Now through end of May, it’s straight tee times on weekends. You can play 9 or 18. Only weekdays have the wave. Before 8, you can play 9. After 1 you can play 9. This applies to weekdays only.
Sorry, you are not correct, the 27 hole course have the wave 7 days a week. You are correct you can play 9 any time on the weekends
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, play, foursomes, courses, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.