Championship courses and the Afternoon wave

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark124 View Post
Everywhere I have ever played (except here) those making the turn have right of way
That is because you were NOT playing in a wave tee time system
Old 01-23-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That does nothing to solve the problem of no t times between 9:30 and noon.
Sorry there is no problem with no tee times between 9:30 and noon in the wave system, play the two 18 hole courses if you want that or the new one when it opens this fall. No one wants to understand the wave is for making the most out of the tee times for a 27 hole course. THEY are not going to change it, THEY are making money.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

So serious question - how do we get it changed? There has to be some sort of golf committee hierarchy. I get the developers own the courses - but there has to be a mechanism for feedback - other than telling a starter. Do we write to the pros?
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
- other than telling a starter. Do we write to the pros?
Please don't bother the starters with this trivial BS, they have nothing to do with it. they get enough flack about other things.........

Last edited by stanley; 01-23-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:54 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, folks, but I have to disagree with some of your posts(even John W's, whom I agree with most of the time). TV is an aging/retirement community, where most of the golfers are recreational(vs serious/pro). The expected pace of play is NOT based upon the group in front of you, but a reasonable timed pace. If the group ahead are advanced(or 2-3 men), there is no expectation for the group behind them to keep up to them, nor faster than the faster group behind them! As has been reported, golf has been in decline over the years. We need to keep that interest here. If we turn off these recreational golfers, expecting them to play at an advanced pace, they will quit. Guess what happens to some of these courses when that occurs? For the record, I'm not nearly as good of a golfer as many of you(I'm sure), and I also worked as a Champ Ambassador(til last May). I kept the expected pace of play, but did not/will not push players beyond what is expected. I don't like slow play any more than you, but I also don't want to see courses closed.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
In either case, wouldn't those early tee times go unfilled anyway????
Yes, they would. But there would be times available between 9:30 and noon that would get filled.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That’s true to explain the delays in the current system. Points to a flaw in the system though imho...there’s no such thing as playing too fast!!
Let’s not forget that there are multiple flaws in the wave system, not just for fast players that play first in the wave and then have to wait to make the turn. That is flaw number one, which I have experienced more than once when having the first afternoon time. I have also been on the other side of the coin, with the last time on the AM wave. I have had a 9:30 time and showed up and paid at 9:10 and got to the starter shack at 9:15 to be told I was late, I missed my time, and my group already teed off. The first foursome of the day was already on the box ready to make the turn. I looked at the clock and it said it was 9:15, and my t time was 9:30. Needless to say, I was bullish!t. How could I have possibly been late for a 9:30 t time when I was paid up and ready to go at 9:15? It is simply not right to pay $64 for a round, using your own cart, showing up early, and have to deal with stress and confrontation. And let’s not forget flaw number three, no t times between 9:30 and noon? The wave is full of flaws!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 AM

The operative word is should.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Try playing the 1 pm shotgun start at Continental CC. Championship course and you won’t have that problem. Much improved conditions and fairways & tees are over seeded
352-748-3293

Old 01-25-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The "plan" is for the first groups to play in 2 hrs 8 min, NOT 2 1/2 hrs. (7:28 first tee time, 9:28 last). If you play faster, you WILL hit the wave. They do this to maximize tee times, especially in high season (and profit as well). Separate carts have added to the faster times as well. If you're first out just be aware that arrival at the back 9 quicker than 2:08 will probably result in a short wait. IMHO, that's better than getting stuck behind a group that takes 2:40 to play the front nine. (I'd rather wait 15 minutes at the turn than wait on EVERY shot all 18 holes)
That’s not always the case. For example, yesterday teed off at Kildeer Evans Prairie at 7:55. We were first ones out and the starter reminded us not to get to Osprey before 9:28 because we would wait at the turn. We took our time and got to Osprey starter shack at 9:31. Then was directly behind a foursome that needed some lessons. Slow play from that point on could not describe the time it took to complete the back nine. In my opinion, this is the issue where individuals who need some lessons don’t follow the rule that if you hit the ball six times on a par four it’s time to pick up and move on.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
"In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play."

The Starters and Ambassadors are "the Committee"

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...y%20day%20play.
1A- General Play

"During general play, the structure of the Committee is often more informal than in competitions, and in many cases the responsibilities of the Committee will be delegated to or undertaken by one or more course representatives, such as the golf professional, course manager or other employee of the course. "
No, there is an actual Committee that sets the guidelines for TV. They also randomly review golfer play history to make sure all rounds are properly recorded on GHIN. The Starters and Course Ambassadors simple enforce the Committee rules.
So, again, what IS the rule?
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Try playing the 1 pm shotgun start at Continental CC. Championship course and you won’t have that problem. Much improved conditions and fairways & tees are over seeded
352-748-3293
I just looked at Continental's website, is that shotgun just on Monday? I would rather start on the first hole on a course I'm playing for the first time. When are regular times? It looks like they have special for $30 on Tuesday & Saturday afternoons. I wish their website was little more clear. Do you need to make your teetime on their website, that page is a bit confusing, I would rather call for a teetime if possible.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Not saying the Villages Country Clubs would want or need to try this, but a 27 hole course tee sheet can be set up as a "curve ball". Two open tees from 7:30 to 9:30 (3rd tee for 9 holers or maintenance). From 9:30 to Noon one tee would be open for mid to late morning golf. At noon, back to 2 tees open until 2pm. At 2 pm, one tee remains open until approximately 4:30pm. Then there would be 2 open tees again for evening play.
This tee sheet is the only way to offer mid morning tee times at a 27 hole facility when all three nines are being utilized.

Last edited by bagboy; 02-06-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:46 AM

Don't know if it is even worth playing the so called champion ship courses. As RM, it is over $60 to play one of these courses that are not in good condition. Nah, not worth it. Go off property or play as a single player on executive courses.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 AM

I have complained about this problem with phone calls, a letter signed by our group of 16 and emails. I never got a reply from anyone. We often have to get a rain check because the tenth tee is completely backed up. We all lose our momentum and play badly. They just don’t care. Making money is all they care about.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, play, foursomes, courses, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.