Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Let's not forget the primary purpose for the land that the courses sit on - storm water control. The design for this had to come first, and it had to be right. So yes, the courses were basically fit in. Also, this is not a community designed around a top quality golf course. There are communities like that. Or courses are good when the condition is good. That's what they are.
I'm sure you are correct that storm water control is a major consideration, but I don't agree that storm water is the primary purpose. Golf is big money for the developer, and in my opinion, money is primary.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While not totally foolproof (as noted by the recent change in the handicap holes on Palmer's Riley Grove), one can compare Village's courses to others...by simply looking at the 'course/slope rating' from each set of tees.

In general, the courses here are much easier (from comparable tees)...than courses outside the bubble.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I played Palmer (Laurel Valley to Riley Grove) yesterday and it was really nice. There was 4 holes that were rough only because of the all the rain. They have let the rough grow in, like a real golf course but not to the extent where your ball will sink down. I was only in 2 bunkers, both fairway bunkers and had no problem getting out.

I bought this Golf GPS last summer at Jim's Golf Shop for $129. It's on you wrist, you never have to look for it, and it right with you no matter where you go and has all the golf courses. BTW, the blue tees in TV is the same as the white tees everywhere outside TV. So if you're playing the whites here, you getting a great deal.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I'm sure you are correct that storm water control is a major consideration, but I don't agree that storm water is the primary purpose...

Major yes. Primary no.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 AM

What I have found out about the bunkers is I used to use a sand wedge to come out, but I have currently switched to a 64 degree wedge now with much better results.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm playing completely different courses, or maybe I have a different view of "awful", but I'm finding the championship courses to be in very good shape. In the past ten days I've played Lopez, Cane and Orange Blossom, and all three are in very nice condition. Fairways are lush, the rough not punishing, and the greens are smooth with nice speed. What courses are you complaining about? I don't like the deep faces in bunkers either, but that's golf. I'm more bothered by the lack of respect from other golfers who don't rake the sand.
Totally agree. Not raking traps, not filling in divots, NOT REPAIRING BALL MARKS, tossing cigarette butts...just to mention a few, that's what should be improved upon, and that ain't the fault of the courses!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Maybe I'm playing completely different courses, or maybe I have a different view of "awful", but I'm finding the championship courses to be in very good shape. In the past ten days I've played Lopez, Cane and Orange Blossom, and all three are in very nice condition. Fairways are lush, the rough not punishing, and the greens are smooth with nice speed. What courses are you complaining about? I don't like the deep faces in bunkers either, but that's golf. I'm more bothered by the lack of respect from other golfers who don't rake the sand.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Totally agree. Not raking traps, not filling in divots, NOT REPAIRING BALL MARKS, tossing cigarette butts...just to mention a few, that's what should be improved upon, and that ain't the fault of the courses!
When you see a cigarette butt on the green all you can think is wtf.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage

One thing I have noticed. Back home every tee thrash can was filled with empty beer cans. The starters would check your bag to make sure you're weren't bringing your own beer. Had to buy beer from the club house or the pretty girl driving the beverage cart for $3 a can. Here, you can do what you want and I never see anyone drink beer. Maybe it's all hard liquor, maybe people don't find drinking in the heat is fun anymore. I remember once playing with some young guys. One fellow bought a six pack for $18 on the 6th hole, by the 9th hole they were gone, I don't think I could hit the ball if I had done that.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
When you see a cigarette butt on the green all you can think is wtf.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think that when I see a butt any where. Seems like (some or most) smokers don't think flicking a butt is littering. Drives me crazy.

Disclaimer: I'm a cigar smoker. I see cigars as well.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage

The Villages Florida
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here, you can do what you want and I never see anyone drink beer. Maybe it's all hard liquor, maybe people don't find drinking in the heat is fun anymore.

The Villages Florida
I got hooked up with three women on an exec and after every hole they would do a shot of Fireball..........11:00 in the morning.
And I really miss the cart girls!
Steve
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtuWngs View Post
Does anybody know the reasoning for removing the 150 yard markers from Glenview's Tally Ho course. I have used those markers to estimate distance when beyond or within the posts. Now it will be necessary to search out the markers which will probably result in a slowdown in play. I sure hope The Villages do not remove these posts from other courses.
They are gone at Havana Kenya too. Was told for more ease of mowing staff. Suggest complaining to Pro of course
Closed Thread

Tags
can’t, hit, rate, find, ball

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.