Deplorable conditions at Havana

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2023, 08:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdcorpsmarine View Post
I’m curious, how many carts in your group of nineteen. How many of those golfers drive ALL OVER THE FAIRWAYS rather than staying on the cart path or in the rough until you get to a point where you CROSS the fairway to your ball. Also how many of your group totally disregard the exit markers and drive all the way up to the green???. My point is, you can’t abuse the golf course and expect it to remain in pristine condition. And then there’s the people who seem to refuse to repair ball marks, rake bunkers, and attempt to retrieve their ball from the cup with the handle. Oh yes let’s not forget dragging your feet all over the green.

My point is, it’s not the growing season AND we must do all we can to give the courses time to breathe.
Agree we are not in the growing season but this has been a relatively mild winter. Even Orange Blossom is more playable and Hacienda is in much better shape than past 2 years.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Based on your anti-recommendation, I played Allamanda & Hibiscus tonight. On a positive note, I played a "2 man scramble" with myself from the Blues & shot 72 in 2.5 hours. That was the only positive.

I haven't played Cane Gardens in a couple of weeks and its condition is abysmal. What I don't think many players realize (I ran a large facility that's had a LIV Tour event), lack of maintenance is cumulative. It's compounded every year that poor maintenance continues. You can't just turn around bad conditions in a couple of months. Bandaids only last so long.

I think they could throw $1,000,000 each, at Palmer, Mallory, Cane Garden & Mallory and still not have what most would consider "acceptable conditions". Tomorrow I start my search for a new retirement home, someplace that takes pride in their golf courses.
Might start a little north of TV, Country Club of Ocala.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Had you checked this site prior to booking, you probably wouldn't have gone to Havana, it's been a topic of discussion for weeks. It's in horrendous condition. If they were handing out $100 bills on the 1st Tee, I still wouldn't play there.
You are a Villager. You would definitely play for $100!
Old 03-03-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Tomorrow I start my search for a new retirement home, someplace that takes pride in their golf courses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Old 03-10-2023, 01:17 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Jus played Havana today.

They are doing a lot of repairs to the greens.

Coming out of winter....................it's that time.

Re-seeding and sod in some places.

Quit the whining....................they are making improvements, investing money.
((whine if they don't))

Tee boxes are good.
Fairways have grass..............which is pretty good for 1st of March.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sometimes the whiners actually leave.
But unfortunately, they stay on ToTV.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:59 AM

It is mind boggling the conditions of our Championship Courses here in The Villages. Considering the following that approximately at $50 a round equates to $200 per foursome for each tee time. With 10 Championship Courses having 27 holes, that comes out to approximately $600 per course for every tee time. With about 16 tee times per wave, that is approximately $9,600 for the morning wave, then the same amount again for the afternoon wave. That's $19,200 coming into their kitty every day. Now add in the 3 courses that only have 18 holes which equates to approx. $6,400 per wave or $12,800 a day. That's approx. $32,000 a day coming into their pockets. With that amount you would think they should be able to provide the necessary fertilizer, labor, equipment, etc., needed to give us decent conditions to play on and be proud of to bring guests into play.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
Considering the following that approximately at $50 a round equates to $200 per foursome for each tee time.
$50 dollars per round? I wish! As I non priority resident my credit card gets rung up for $72 per round and my guests get hit for $83 after taxes. Southern Oakes is even more $$$$.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
It is mind boggling the conditions of our Championship Courses here in The Villages. Considering the following that approximately at $50 a round equates to $200 per foursome for each tee time. With 10 Championship Courses having 27 holes, that comes out to approximately $600 per course for every tee time. With about 16 tee times per wave, that is approximately $9,600 for the morning wave, then the same amount again for the afternoon wave. That's $19,200 coming into their kitty every day. Now add in the 3 courses that only have 18 holes which equates to approx. $6,400 per wave or $12,800 a day. That's approx. $32,000 a day coming into their pockets. With that amount you would think they should be able to provide the necessary fertilizer, labor, equipment, etc., needed to give us decent conditions to play on and be proud of to bring guests into play.
I think your math is quite a bit off the mark. $32K/day x 364 days (Christmas is free)= 11.68 million/year. However, there are approximately 1 million rounds/year played on the championship courses at closer to an average of $60/round = $60 million/year. It takes about $6-700,000 per 9 holes to keep a course in pristine condition, and we have 36 nines, so about 22 million would do the job, probably even less due to economy of scale. Now you have to pay the staff, pay for water and maintain the facility----probably plenty of $$$$ left over based on those assumptions---but I probably forgot some things----drcar?????
Old 03-24-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think your math is quite a bit off the mark. $32K/day x 364 days (Christmas is free)= 11.68 million/year. However, there are approximately 1 million rounds/year played on the championship courses at closer to an average of $60/round = $60 million/year. It takes about $6-700,000 per 9 holes to keep a course in pristine condition, and we have 36 nines, so about 22 million would do the job, probably even less due to economy of scale. Now you have to pay the staff, pay for water and maintain the facility----probably plenty of $$$$ left over based on those assumptions---but I probably forgot some things----drcar?????
As usual, you are spot on. BUT as you know we get the same complaints every year at this time of year. What the golfers (resident) don't want to hear is the truth. Take this year for example. Two very bad freezes, no rain for weeks AND golfers all over the place. The complaint is always the same, the developer is at fault, they are are not putting money into the courses. Well NOT true! The have and continue to redo courses, BUT this does not happen over night. Yes Lopez, Glenview, Tierra, and one nine at palmer in better shape! They have been redone. I say realizing that people are going to say "the greedy family." But we will have this discussion again next year or next week!
Old 03-24-2023, 04:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,037 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:

Your math is so far off, it's shouldn't even be call "math".

The Championship Golf operation in The Villages grosses north of $75,000,000/year and probably south of $100,000,000.

As Golfing Eagles pointed out, the cost to "maintain the grass" is approximately $650,000/year/9 holes (between $500K - $800K, depending on the quality).

If I had to estimate based on industry averages (leaving out the restaurants), the cost to run The Villages golf operation is approximately $1M - $1.3M per 9 holes (includes all staffing, utilities, insurance, etc.)

The golf course business is cash monster.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Your math is so far off, it's shouldn't even be call "math".

The Championship Golf operation in The Villages grosses north of $75,000,000/year and probably south of $100,000,000.

As Golfing Eagles pointed out, the cost to "maintain the grass" is approximately $650,000/year/9 holes (between $500K - $800K, depending on the quality).

If I had to estimate based on industry averages (leaving out the restaurants), the cost to run The Villages golf operation is approximately $1M - $1.3M per 9 holes (includes all staffing, utilities, insurance, etc.)

The golf course business is cash monster.
Politely dis agree. If golf is a cash monster why have so many courses/clubs gone out of business? Covid was the best thing to happen for golf. Hard to extrapolate how much cash will be brought in/go out due to factors like weather, bug infestations, funguses/molds that can occur. Labor, chemicals and fuel are always going up. All courses do need to completely re sodded no matter how good it is maintained.
Closed Thread

Tags
havana, conditions, shape, play, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.