Fivesome

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Default Fivesome

Played at Cane Garden on Thursday we made the turn and the last tee time 9:28 of the morning wave was teeing off, five women. The ambassador informed us that they were the guest of the pro. I was always told that foursomes were the max. The tee time office was called and asked the question and was referred to the pro Dave Williams. He made it clear it is within his purview to have a fivesome. I think this a bad policy and sets up many problems for the clubs and their employees.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdticket View Post
Played at Cane Garden on Thursday we made the turn and the last tee time 9:28 of the morning wave was teeing off, five women. The ambassador informed us that they were the guest of the pro. I was always told that foursomes were the max. The tee time office was called and asked the question and was referred to the pro Dave Williams. He made it clear it is within his purview to have a fivesome. I think this a bad policy and sets up many problems for the clubs and their employees.
I think we have to leave it up to the judgement of the pro-----perhaps they were 5 LPGA touring pros
Old 06-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Gold member

It is not the purview of the professional to break the rules at his/her whim. It says "I am the boss and what I say goes no matter what the rules say". This professional is lacking in doing even the basics as a professional. If he/she'd done it at the least busy time of day then perhaps, perhaps it might be given a pass. The tee time office is complicit in this negative behavior and the professional and office need to be spoken to.

As to "perhaps they were 5 pga touring pros"...bull shirt! They might get special treatment at a private club, but not these. Poor judgement!!!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have to believe after living here almost ten years and living too with a golfer who plays far more than I do...four days a week, that allowing a fivesome to play has to be as rare as hen's teeth. I don't recall seeing it and neither has he.

Perhaps we should see if it happens again before we get our knickers in a hitch.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Gold member

I for one haven't gotten my knickers in a hitch...if perhaps that's who you are referring to. The problem with non face to face communication(or ear to ear)is that you can not tell the "tone" of the message and it is very easy to "assume" you know the writers thinking. Most of the time we do not unless emoji's are used. I ought to know as I misunderstand people online all the time.

Since no emoji's were used my tone is matter of fact.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
I for one haven't gotten my knickers in a hitch...if perhaps that's who you are referring to. The problem with non face to face communication(or ear to ear)is that you can not tell the "tone" of the message and it is very easy to "assume" you know the writers thinking. Most of the time we do not unless emoji's are used. I ought to know as I misunderstand people online all the time.

Since no emoji's were used my tone is matter of fact.
Wasn't directing my post to you Fred. Rather to the OP.

I think playing five doesn't happen much. But I could be wrong and frequently am.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Can't get past a five some with 5 females........
Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage

I played there yesterday, if these were guests of the pro, he must really not like them or he would have sent them somewhere else.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
It is not the purview of the professional to break the rules at his/her whim. It says "I am the boss and what I say goes no matter what the rules say". This professional is lacking in doing even the basics as a professional. If he/she'd done it at the least busy time of day then perhaps, perhaps it might be given a pass. The tee time office is complicit in this negative behavior and the professional and office need to be spoken to.

As to "perhaps they were 5 pga touring pros"...bull shirt! They might get special treatment at a private club, but not these. Poor judgement!!!!!
Bull shirt... I am so stealing that.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:

Let's get real. You have NO IDEA who these 5 women were or WHY the pro let them out as a fivesome. Not LPGA pros? Probably not. U of F women's golf team???? H Gary Morse's grandchildren??/ Third generation Andrews sisters???? YOU simply have no idea. Does this pro frequently let out fivesomes??? YOU have no idea. Was he told by someone higher on the food chain to let them out. YOU have no idea.

Did they keep pace on the course, or were they 3 holes behind???? Did they hit the ball better than most male Villagers or were they just hacking around??? Since it seems to bother you, did you complain directly to the pro or the club manager at the time?????

Without the FACTS, all you are doing is extrapolating a "no fivesome" rule to all circumstances, and even ASSUMING the pro doesn't have the authority to use his discretion

Sorry to be so harsh, but I love golf as you apparently do, and to my mind the pro is the captain of the club ship. So I think his "orders" are to be obeyed, until such time as his pattern of actions lead to a "courts-martial"
Old 06-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's get real. You have NO IDEA who these 5 women were or WHY the pro let them out as a fivesome. Not LPGA pros? Probably not. U of F women's golf team???? H Gary Morse's grandchildren??/ Third generation Andrews sisters???? YOU simply have no idea. Does this pro frequently let out fivesomes??? YOU have no idea. Was he told by someone higher on the food chain to let them out. YOU have no idea.

Did they keep pace on the course, or were they 3 holes behind???? Did they hit the ball better than most male Villagers or were they just hacking around??? Since it seems to bother you, did you complain directly to the pro or the club manager at the time?????

Without the FACTS, all you are doing is extrapolating a "no fivesome" rule to all circumstances, and even ASSUMING the pro doesn't have the authority to use his discretion

Sorry to be so harsh, but I love golf as you apparently do, and to my mind the pro is the captain of the club ship. So I think his "orders" are to be obeyed, until such time as his pattern of actions lead to a "courts-martial"

EXCELLENT point, what was the pace of play??
Old 06-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

All my thoughts exactly! Great post.

At the course I played in Indy our regular group was the second group off on Sunday mornings. The first group, a fivesome. We could not keep up with them. We were usually two holes behind this group while being a hole ahead of the group behind us.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Gold member

A problem is that, for many people, it only takes one bad experience to condemn the whole system. The few times that I play a championship course, I feel bad if the Ambassador has to tell us to pick up the pace. Sometimes we just skip a hole. I am so embarrassed. It's a good thing that the people behind us don't follow us home and harass us.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post

EXCELLENT point, what was the pace of play??
THAT...is the key.

In my previous life, we had a group that had the standing first 4 starting times on Saturday's and Sunday's (sometimes out with the first group at 5:45AM)...that were fivesomes (single digit, ready golfers).

The head pro was happy to put us out first, because he knew that we played fast enough that we would set a pace that would keep the course moving...for the rest of the day.

No one behind us ever had to wait and oftentimes we wouldn't even see the 5th group out...even if they were a threesome.

Every so often someone would whine and the pro would ask them if they were ever held up or had to wait on a shot and when they sheepishly said "no"...he would ask them what their concern was then?

The 'Rangers' were also not shy about giving a warning, then making a group pick up and go to the next tee.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Sage

I don't care if it's a tensome if they don't hold up play.

If they hold up play even a little, it's wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, fivesome, pro, tee, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.