No Trespassing sign, is this necessary facing our homes and our Beloved golf course?

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Default No Trespassing sign, is this necessary facing our homes and our Beloved golf course?

Seminole #6 Fairway on Belle Glade. So you are looking at a lovely hole with no holes behind you, a nice hill, some palm trees, scattered shrubs, landscaping from the "dump" above, until you see this BUTT UGLY SIGN, "No trespassing" with a phone number. Really? The Villages doesn't DO Negative, and frankly, I am shocked that the building or sign codes let people put signs up facing property owners in a big 5 foot sign that say, NO TRESPASSING. Next time you play golf, report it to the pro shop. The more people that report it, maybe we can take that sign down.

Do they really think we are going to get out of the golf cart, hop the fence and what? go for a hike? Get real! Let's get that sign taken down. ....It takes a Village!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigal View Post
Seminole #6 Fairway on Belle Glade. So you are looking at a lovely hole with no holes behind you, a nice hill, some palm trees, scattered shrubs, landscaping from the "dump" above, until you see this BUTT UGLY SIGN, "No trespassing" with a phone number. Really? The Villages doesn't DO Negative, and frankly, I am shocked that the building or sign codes let people put signs up facing property owners in a big 5 foot sign that say, NO TRESPASSING. Next time you play golf, report it to the pro shop. The more people that report it, maybe we can take that sign down.

Do they really think we are going to get out of the golf cart, hop the fence and what? go for a hike? Get real! Let's get that sign taken down. ....It takes a Village!
It's a privately owned business. Probably required by their insurance coverage. That part aside, this complaint seems like much ado about nothing.

Let me buy you one while you relax and smell the roses.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
It's a privately owned business. Probably required by their insurance coverage. That part aside, this complaint seems like much ado about nothing.

Let me buy you one while you relax and smell the roses.

Don
I play Belle Glade quite a few times, and I was trying to think of privately owned property and the only area I know of is that on Calusa nine down south there is a hole that parallels Pennbroke Fairways.

In this situation the OP is referring to Seminole nine, and as far as I can remember it is surrounded completely by Villages property unless either the powerlines are on private property or the sand pit is not owned by TV.

I took a screen shot of the 6th hole on Seminole nine and the 6th is the short Par 4 up the hill with bunkers and water on the right. So I'm guessing the sign is somehwere up near the top of the hill? It is warning those not to go into the sand pit area which is over the hill behind the line of trees. That seems like any sign up there would be awfully hard to see down by the homes unless it was a billboard.

Maybe the OP should take a photo from his vantage point and make a complaint at The Villages main office. If that sand pit is not owned by TV, then I don't know what recourse can be taken.

Here's a link to view the hole from google maps. It the hole near the bottom below the sand pit with 8 bunkers and a pond on the right and one bunker on the left. The green is right below the property line of the sand pit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j5c2Y7jRzYrjlfoV2
Old 12-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's the screen shot, click the yellow bar to enlarge.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here's the screen shot, click the yellow bar to enlarge.

The Villages Florida
As already mentioned, this property is a privately owned landfill used for vegetative and construction waste disposal, no "garbage". What looks like a sand pit is ground that is being stripped back to bury certain solid wastes.

It is surrounded on all four sides by TV golf courses.

The signs are to discourage golfers from entering to retrieve stray shots.

The signs are so distant from home sites you would need binoculars to read them. Not sure why the fuss.

Anyway, the beer offer still stands if that help relieve the pressure.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-05-2018, 08:50 AM

The signs are so distant from home sites you would need binoculars to read them. Not sure why the fuss.

From #6 Green tees the sign appears in direct view of the first bunker on the left. It does not blend with the landscape, is a large white sign, and I don't think anyone is going to stray that far off the course, and hop a five foot fence to get a ball. It is so far out of play, the sign seems out of place. I agree, it should be taken down. It seems frivolous! Or paint it green.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 AM

You don't need binoculars to see the sign. It's big, bright white, and unnatural from the green tee box. A small sign on a fence post or next to it, in brown would have been more appropriate. I am in to beauty an esthetics, which is what golf courses are all about. It is literally Out of Bounds in a golfers thought process of beauty.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

If one has not lived on a golf course they have absolutely no idea the means and ends some golfers will go to in the process of looking for and or retrieving a golf ball.

From personal experience, at the 175 yard mark from the t box.....ground zero for many, MANY errant drives. Our neighbor had a very delicate and decorative fence/shrubbery line that golfers ROUTINELY climbed or broke their way through to get a ball.

As with all groups/populations/categories of people, there will always be that small percent that just will not and do not abide by any rules in pursuit of their personal "needs".

That small percentage, however does account for more golfers than most would imagine, that behave so inconsiderately.

So if you haven't lived it, it is difficult to understand why home/property owners would be so motivated to give notice. By the way, if fences will not keep them out....signs have zero effect. ZERO!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If one has not lived on a golf course they have absolutely no idea the means and ends some golfers will go to in the process of looking for and or retrieving a golf ball.

From personal experience, at the 175 yard mark from the t box.....ground zero for many, MANY errant drives. Our neighbor had a very delicate and decorative fence/shrubbery line that golfers ROUTINELY climbed or broke their way through to get a ball.

As with all groups/populations/categories of people, there will always be that small percent that just will not and do not abide by any rules in pursuit of their personal "needs".

That small percentage, however does account for more golfers than most would imagine, that behave so inconsiderately.

So if you haven't lived it, it is difficult to understand why home/property owners would be so motivated to give notice. By the way, if fences will not keep them out....signs have zero effect. ZERO!

No doubt the signs were placed there because people were trespassing. Large print on a white background may be required to obtain the attention of some folks. The premises is literally a dump. The owning entity (the developer?) doesn't want some trespasser suing for slipping and falling, breaking a leg or worse. The signage is there because it is needed.

BTW, do these signs remind anyone how great it is to live in a community with landscaping and other ambiance restrictions?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Can anyone say civil liability !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM

If a safety sign is your biggest concern, I'd say TV is doing a helluva job keeping you happy.
Put your focus on other things.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigal View Post

Show us a picture from your lot. Or your golfcart.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Didn't Tesla sing a song about this?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Private property is just that, respect the owners wishes. Just like you would expect at your home if my dog needed to,pee and I let the leash out a bit.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 PM

I would guess that if there were not many people trespassing, there would be no sign. Given that there are so many rude and inconsiderate people who feel they have the right to go on private property to look for their golf balls, apparently a sign is needed. It may not stop the flow of people, but as someone else said, if one of those people injures themselves on the property, hopefully the sign would keep the owner from being legally responsible.
Closed Thread

Tags
sign, golf, trespassing, facing, report

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.