Glenview

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2022, 04:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question ...

I played a Championship Course today and was paired with 2 great guys. One was probably mid 70's & the other, likely upper 70's.

They played the Green Tees. The younger of the 2, made 1 Par today. The other fellow averaged about 2 over par on every hole. HIs average drive was about 150 yards.

I'm not suggesting they don't have a perfect right to play any course they want, they paid their money & golf is for everyone. My question is more "practical". Why spend $50 to play a Championship course, when it seems an Executive course would be way more fun, given the state of their golf game. I've never played an Executive course, so I don't really have a frame of reference and I'm curious.

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate my playing partners golf game or any such thing. I'm just wondering. If it was me, I think I'd save the $50!
Wife and I basically gave up Championship courses in our 70+ years, when we found walking the 18 holes was getting harder. We played most at home in UK, and our local courses were quite undulating.
It's funny that in UK. mostly youngsters use golf carts, the oldies still walk.
When we started in TV in 2000-1 we played Execs and found them great fun, and stuck with them mainly.
We had the odd round of Championships for a while, but really didn't enjoy golf cart golf. Seemed like it was race track golf!
We are into our 80's now. and we still walk Execs. still keep up with play, and most of all, enjoy the game!
Don't think $$ for a round was an issue for odd Championship round, but we like to play every other day so Execs were financially a more sensible option.
The other reason for some, is I think Ego!
Can't let go.
Usually it's the ones who dye their hair black as well!
Old 04-19-2022, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Wife and I basically gave up Championship courses in our 70+ years, when we found walking the 18 holes was getting harder. We played most at home in UK, and our local courses were quite undulating.
It's funny that in UK. mostly youngsters use golf carts, the oldies still walk.
When we started in TV in 2000-1 we played Execs and found them great fun, and stuck with them mainly.
We had the odd round of Championships for a while, but really didn't enjoy golf cart golf. Seemed like it was race track golf!
We are into our 80's now. and we still walk Execs. still keep up with play, and most of all, enjoy the game!
Don't think $$ for a round was an issue for odd Championship round, but we like to play every other day so Execs were financially a more sensible option.
The other reason for some, is I think Ego!
Can't let go.
Usually it's the ones who dye their hair black as well!
That's what I was really asking. I essentially haven't played golf in a motorized cart, for my entire life ... until The Villages. I much prefer to walk, but the majority of TV's Championship courses are not conducive to walking 18 holes. I'd like to include a mix of Execs in my daily golf, but when I drive by them, they always seem jam packed with players.

As for the hair-dying, I'm out of luck ... but perhaps a nice, salt & pepper rug?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's what I was really asking. I essentially haven't played golf in a motorized cart, for my entire life ... until The Villages. I much prefer to walk, but the majority of TV's Championship courses are not conducive to walking 18 holes. I'd like to include a mix of Execs in my daily golf, but when I drive by them, they always seem jam packed with players.

As for the hair-dying, I'm out of luck ... but perhaps a nice, salt & pepper rug?
At high season the Execs are very busy, except on cold days, when sometimes the courses are empty. We enjoy playing on those days.
Summer during day when super hot, again if you can stand the heat, you will have the courses to yourself. We have never been in Florida for hot season
From what I have read on here, in summer most play early or later in day.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
At high season the Execs are very busy, except on cold days, when sometimes the courses are empty. We enjoy playing on those days.
Summer during day when super hot, again if you can stand the heat, you will have the courses to yourself. We have never been in Florida for hot season
From what I have read on here, in summer most play early or later in day.
I've had property in FL for 15 years and never let the heat, stop me from playing golf and walking the course. My personal "no go", was if the Heat Index went over 104. I'll be looking forward to trying the empty Executive courses, when I visit my Villages home, during the summer.

Thanks for insight!
Old 04-26-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Played this morning...........

Sandy greens, give them a coupe weeks before playing.
Played Glenview yesterday. Fox Run to Stirrup Cup. Sand on the greens is now a non-issue. On a few you could see a little sand, but not enough to matter.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
Played Glenview yesterday. Fox Run to Stirrup Cup. Sand on the greens is now a non-issue. On a few you could see a little sand, but not enough to matter.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:25 AM

Played there a couple weeks ago. Usually great greens, but some were sanded and had small rocks mixed in that made putting a challenge. Never saw small rocks of any kind in the sand used to dress greens. Sand was also applied very unevenly and not brushed in. Disappointed but a still fan on how well it is generally kept.
Closed Thread

Tags
glenview, played, morning, sandy, greens

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.