Golf course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I played Havana (Kenya to Hemingway) yesterday, it was in very good shape. One unusual note, I had played Bonifay the week before and you go straight to the starters shack at Ft. Walton and they line the carts up on the big walkway heading toward Destin. You actually play Destin as your front nine. However, at Havana if you go to the starter shack, because space is limited, they sent to the club house parking lot. The lower golf cart lot is blocked off. Then an ambassador will ask your teetime and they have your group park in the parking lot in spots with a teetime marker. You can still use the putting green, they have it so you can walk through the outside seating area of the restaurant to get to the putting green.

The "starter" at Havana thought this process might continue for a month.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
All golf courses are closed UK and most of Europe.
Be happy to play on anything at the present time!

1/2 Full.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The "starter" at Havana thought this process might continue for a month.
This morning Sun said the pro-shop would open Monday but for merchandise sales only, and only until 4pm. The nine's that have been closed I believe they're doing the aerification on them right now. I saw parts of Kilimanjaro and they have the greens covered in sand. However, they don't show more courses closed for aerification until late August except Glenview in June.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Default Course Conditions Cause

The real problem with the fairways is that for the last two years the greenskeepers have been cutting the fairways and tees too short. Some fairways on executive courses are as short as the greens. Even the regulation courses I have played have very short fairways. Longer blades shade the grass roots and keep the soil from drying too quickly. Having been a caddy for 15 years and a golfer for 70, I can honestly say I have never seen fairways and tees cut as closely as ours have been for the last two years.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The real problem with the fairways is that for the last two years the greenskeepers have been cutting the fairways and tees too short. Some fairways on executive courses are as short as the greens. Even the regulation courses I have played have very short fairways. Longer blades shade the grass roots and keep the soil from drying too quickly. Having been a caddy for 15 years and a golfer for 70, I can honestly say I have never seen fairways and tees cut as closely as ours have been for the last two years.
DWwilson58 is not going to like your assessment at all......even if it is true......
Old 05-14-2020, 12:31 PM
Default Over mowing courses

Why are the golf course maintenance workers mowing when there is no grass to mow, especially in the fairways? They mow it so tight that it burns out and then they blame it on lack of water or too many carts. While they are factors, wouldn’t it be better to allow the grass to grow just a bit!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post

I agree.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
DWwilson58 is not going to like your assessment at all......even if it is true......
Well.
Thats that theory out the window then!
Closed Thread

Tags
played, closed, golf, worse, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.