Golf Course Conditions - Per Eric Van Gorder, Director of Executive Golf Maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Consideration

I once was involved in a very elite semi private course which was having some problem. One of the "wealthy" members said "either we are not giving you enough money to keep the course in good conditions or you (Greens Keeper) are not capable of maintaining the course, which is it". This seem to net the problem here. Having said this I believe it is an Organizational Management Problem which may tie somewhat to a money problem? I had the opportunity to view some of the Management structures and came away believing they do have a serious organizational problem which probably rolls into a course maintenance problem? This does not rule out a "budget" concern but makes it less likely to be the driving force to cause such disgraceful conditions as seen with the Palmer Course. Some questions would be, what role do the individual course Pro's play in Management, selections, etc? How often are there audits of the process/procedures timing and coverages?, What is the process for escalating concerns and issues? Can staff
bring issues forward without concerns of being punished by management? Are there published rules for maintenance and who is responsible to review the rules, the contents and auditing to ensure they are being followed? These are just a few of the management concerns that should be in place.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:14 AM

I once was advised that as soon as you realize the horse is dead it's time to dismount. That is the conclusion I've come to regarding this particular topic thus I'm closing it here and it's sister post on the Executive Golf Conditions thread.
Thanks to everyone that posted positive thoughts and to those who made suggestions for improving. I'm quite confident that The Villages Golf Course Administration department does NOT read anything on Talk of The Villages. They can be reached at Golf The Villages and then scroll to the bottom and look for CONTACT US.

Tags
golf, maintenance, courses, conditions, saddlebrook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.