Golf course discussion for week of May 11, 2020

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee024 View Post
I play the Championship Golf Courses three times a week. I am going to discuss the course condition on a weekly basis. For the week of May 11th:

Played Tierra Del Sol Monday. The course is in terrible condition. Recently punched with large holes and lots of sand still on the greens. The greens were very bumpy. Same for the tee boxes which had very little to no grass on them. I have been playing golf for over 50 years in the state of Florida, and I have never seen this bad a job done.

Played Havana Tuesday. Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The new style cups were cut mostly correct. There were a few that were not cut deep enough.

Played Cane Thursday: Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The cups on the Jacaranda holes were ALL cut incorrectly, that is not cut deep enough. Some of the holes had the new plastic cup only a 1/4 inch deep.

Conclusions. If Tierra Del Sol was a real Country Club its members would have the ground crew and greenkeeper fired. Whoever did the aerification has no clue how to do the job correctly. Or worse, they don't care.

The golf course admin teams needs to get grass on the tee boxes, and teach someone how to change the tees on a regular basis, especially the par 3's.

The golf course admin teams needs to teach the cup cutters how to cut a holle correctly and teach them were no to put cups.

I don't think it is to much to ask for grass on the course and cups cut correctly. This is a management problem and needs to be corrected by management.
I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worst offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM

I am curious about all the holes in one when there are no holes for the balls to fall into.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

No rain, restricted watering, thousands of rounds of golf (more than any off site course), increased cart usage, no enforcement of rules, inconsiderate players both of others and the courses....not sure we will see much improvement. As an aside, I heard from the third cousin to a server at a club who knew a guy in the pro shop that they cut so short so the average golfer gets more roll and is easier to find which keeps play moving.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worsE offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.
I played Mallory last Sunday. The greens must have improved by the time you played. I found the cut on the greens inconsistent from green to green. Some over cut others undercut. They should all be the same. The more undercut the green is the more excessive roll which then forces many players to chip which delays play. These courses are not hosting PGA event so the undercut especially now is not necessary and stresses the green
Old 05-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Default Limited Collar Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLAMPHERE View Post
Have the raised cups been replaced by normal, in the ground cups? This from a Snowbird that left April 29.
The PVC pipe has been cut to green level, and in some case just below green level. A putt will now drop into the hole, and rest against the flag stick for easy removal. Now, if you get a hole-in-one, it's legitimate! None of that hit the collar at mach 1speed and claim an Ace.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Sorry, but there are more important things right now that are being taken care of in our hometown (roads, upkeep of recreation centers, landscaping, etc.) Golf is not everyone's top priority.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Default Not Really a Hole-in-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kubala View Post
I am curious about all the holes in one when there are no holes for the balls to fall into.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I believe all those thousands of aces that are listed in the Daily Sun should have an asterisk symbol after their name if it involves anything other than a tee shot resulting in the ball actually going into the hole.

Knit pickey? Yeah, maybe I am.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Thanks for letting us know of the poor conditions. Have you complained or get a reduction in fees. Why do people complain fees will continue to go up and up will you still support or boycott?
Old 05-16-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worst offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.
I would love to check an aeration schedule before deciding which champ course to play but the schedule posted on GOLFTHEVILLAGES is incorrect. It is dated April 24 but its wrong. I don't underestand why they cannot post an updated schedule.

I called the Golf Course admin office (because I did not want to call every pro shop to check when they aerated) and was told each country club is only aerating the nine hole course not closed. (this was 2 weeks ago when there were only 18 holes open per club). And that the 9 hole course would be given time to recover before reopening. This is BS. Didn't happen that way.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymac1127 View Post
Our group played off-site yesterday at Spruce Creek South. Talk about a golf course not in good shape. Fairways were all brown. It was like hitting off hardpan. Every green had some sand on it. Putting was like being on pavement.

I don't think that any of The Villages courses are as bad.

But as I say not many of us are PRO GOLFERS. Our time has come and gone. Why are we concerned about a great score. Although we do feel good when we do have one.

I say being able to play golf anytime we want (or do anything else) BEATS THE ALTERNATIVE. Lets all be happy we have a place like The Villages.
Spruce Creek South ??? OMG !!!! I wouldn’t play there if it were free !!!!! 😱
Old 05-17-2020, 02:13 AM
Veteran member

Great post, thanks for doing this.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Aren't you the guy that last month said "It is what it is, we all have choices."

Golf Rates go up again!!!!!! Post # 23 Won't that apply here too?
Hahahahahahaha!!

Big applause!!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I believe all those thousands of aces that are listed in the Daily Sun should have an asterisk symbol after their name if it involves anything other than a tee shot resulting in the ball actually going into the hole.

Knit pickey? Yeah, maybe I am.
I’ve railed on that also. The hole in ones, the eagles and the age breakers (along with the goofy pics of people posing next to the raised pipes) in the happy paper
are going to drop substantially.

Real golf has began again.

And 3, 2, 1 go.....
Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Good to know. I played Evan's Prairie on Thursday. Greens were "fair" and fairways were awful. Lopez yesterday. Greens were magnificent but a tad firm. Fairways and tee boxes were very poor. According to David Williams, Director of Golf, the mowers are set to cut fairways at 5/8" but that is a joke. More like 1/8". I realize it has been dry but they are watering everyday and we have been blessed with cool nights and warm days - ideal grass growing conditions. They should just quit mowing altogether for a couple of weeks and let the grass grow.
5/8 of an inch? I doubt they ever let it grow that long.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:19 AM

The airification takes 10 to 14 days to recover. So unless you know when, and what type, airification they did, you should be careful on that. I do agree however, that the conditions overall should be a little better.
Core airation are large holes that are filled with sand that is treated with chemicals that get under the surface. Deep tine airation is a very small hole an usually does not need top dressing.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, good, cut, golf, cups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.