Golf Courses are Looking Great.

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts
Default Golf Courses are Looking Great.

Play pretty much all Championship courses over the last 30 days and the are looking good.

Mangrove and Sweetgum are now open and are very nice.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

What about the executive courses?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Default It can not be so!!!!

DE
You must be highly mistaken!!! I do not want to start anything but TV golf courses have to be the worst in the entire US. They never spend any money on the courses, never dig up and replace tees and greens. It is absurd that they do not sod the fairways between green up in the spring(how do like that professional term).

I wonder where all those negative Nancies are now. Probably trying to figure out how to complain about too much grass and all the maintenance work that is going on at the courses. Oh and do I get a reimbursement for all of the courses that are being worked on because the part timers have destroyed them thru the winter?
Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Play pretty much all Championship courses over the last 30 days and the are looking good.

Mangrove and Sweetgum are now open and are very nice.

Thanks for the update. I am going to be at our villages home for the second half of July and have been looking forward to playing several of the Championship courses. Now I am every more excited. Just called and turned on the Villages.Net T-time system for the month of July.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage

In general, I think the greens on the executive courses are in good shape. I haven't seen an executive recently where the greens didn't putt pretty well. The usual issue of ball marks not being fixed is still there. For example, I played Southern Star today and fixed 3-5 ball marks per green. Many of the sand traps aren't being fluffed up often enough. The 4 executives below 44 are in good shape as they don't appear to get as much play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
What about the executive courses?
Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the update. I am going to be at our villages home for the second half of July and have been looking forward to playing several of the Championship courses. Now I am every more excited. Just called and turned on the Villages.Net T-time system for the month of July.

They are working on Havana.................have not played for a month. Just played Tierra Del Sol this morning......greens are firm, putting true. Belle is sweet. Seems like they are keeping Cane long and fuzzy............I think to thicken. Bonifay had some rough times, but it's back. Mallory is kicking my butt.....use to think it was a short easy course. Appears to be giving some focused TLC to Palmer.

Have not been on Orange or Nancy lately.

Heat Index 104....................Golf Early!!!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Thank you for posting this!!! Isn't it amazing how all the championship golf courses miraculously improved!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They are working on Havana.................have not played for a month. Just played Tierra Del Sol this morning......greens are firm, putting true. Belle is sweet. Seems like they are keeping Cane long and fuzzy............I think to thicken. Bonifay had some rough times, but it's back. Mallory is kicking my butt.....use to think it was a short easy course. Appears to be giving some focused TLC to Palmer.

Have not been on Orange or Nancy lately.

Heat Index 104....................Golf Early!!!

Thanks again for the more detailed update. TDS and Hacienda are my two close to home courses and are always on the agenda. I also love to play Palmer and Belle (and I love Hibiscus at Cane). Have not played Bonifay for a while but will put that on the list this time, for some reason I always seem to post the best scores at that course (I like the 3 par 3, 4, and 5 on each nine). Between the deep sea fishing, scuba diving, swimming laps at the sports pools, and the golf, my next trip should be lots of fun. Can't wait.

P.S. - Mallory, especially Caroline, always kicks my butt!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Doesn't matter how good they get they will never be as good as the courses that "those in the know" played up north, or on the CC they belonged to. Yet, they still play them here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Thank you for posting this!!! Isn't it amazing how all the championship golf courses miraculously improved!
Yes...."miraculously"

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 07-03-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Doesn't matter how good they get they will never be as good as the courses that "those in the know" played up north, or on the CC they belonged to. Yet, they still play them here.
As I get older and don't hit the ball as far anymore, I much prefer the Villages courses to those up north. I have been getting my A$$ kicked up north lately, with the longer courses (the white tees up north are typically much longer than the Villages), deep rough, nasty hazards, inconsistent sand traps, very narrow fairways, uneven lies everywhere, poison ivy and ticks, etc..... The only thing I like more about the courses up north is that the grass on the fairways is not cut so short that there is almost nothing under the ball but dirt. However, a tight lie in the Villages, as opposed to up north, is much easier to hit since the soil underneath the ball is sand, which explodes and does not jar the wrists. Golfing at the Championship Courses in the the Villages is really very good for seniors.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:06 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Bunkers are in sad shape at most of the courses. My pet peeve.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I am happy with the courses. Only wish would be a little more grass on the collar around the green. That would take away putting from 10 yards for my opponents (lol)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I am happy with the courses. Only wish would be a little more grass on the collar around the green. That would take away putting from 10 yards for my opponents (lol)

Augusta National has no collars................hate to say, but I've putted from 20 feet off of their greens. Just close your eyes and pretend you are in Georgia.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Great to hear!
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, sweetgum, mangrove, good, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.