Help keep Greens rolling

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2021, 01:18 PM
Default Help keep Greens rolling

I understand that with weather uncertain, green speed and conditions will vary a little. It would be nice if we could get some consistancy within a location.....
...rolling of the greens more often (perferably twice a week)
...cut practice greens at same level and speed as course greens, and all 3 nines at same speed
...players to repair ball marks...theirs and 3 others

Green speed and smoothness for putting is the #1 condition demand of any golf course.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Course conditions

Don't hold your breath. Today I played swamp golf, thanks to multimodal irrigation system spilling onto most of the cart paths. Many of the fairways on Killdeer/Osprey should have been cart path-only. They weren't and they were getting gouged. On a day like today, I didn't wonder about green speed. I wondered if intelligent life exists in Villages Golf Management.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
I understand that with weather uncertain, green speed and conditions will vary a little. It would be nice if we could get some consistancy within a location.....
...rolling of the greens more often (perferably twice a week)
...cut practice greens at same level and speed as course greens, and all 3 nines at same speed
...players to repair ball marks...theirs and 3 others

Green speed and smoothness for putting is the #1 condition demand of any golf course.
If everybody did what they are supposed we wouldn't have to repair three other ball marks. This at least implies that three out of four golfers DO NOT repair their own ball marks on the greens and for that matter divots on the tee boxes and in the fairways. My observation of people who rent carts is that the sand bottles return full 90+% of the time.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Don't hold your breath. Today I played swamp golf, thanks to multimodal irrigation system spilling onto most of the cart paths. Many of the fairways on Killdeer/Osprey should have been cart path-only. They weren't and they were getting gouged. On a day like today, I didn't wonder about green speed. I wondered if intelligent life exists in Villages Golf Management.
It's not intelligent life in golf management that is the problem. It is intelligent life and concern by the golfers themselves who have to be told to stay on the cart path when the area is obviously wet, and repeatedly to fix their divots and ball marks and to return rakes fully to the sand trap that are the problem. Same goes for all other golf course conditions. Just sit and watch. You'll see golfers leave the cart path immediately from the tee-box to drive to their ball rather than following the 90 degree rule to reduce traffic in the fairways and golfers who take a nice divot on their second shot only to climb into their cart parked right beside the ball with a full sand bottle and take off for their next shot. You'll watch players with and without CAP cards pull right up to the greens or drive between the greens and sand trap to get to their ball where they take another divot and leave it for someone else to fill. Ambassadors and maintenance can only do so much to clean up after those golfers who do not care about the next person and leave the course battered and bruised when they are done. If everyone would follow the old rule prevalent in camping to leave your site as though you were never there when they play golf you would get your pristine greens and fairways and maintenance could spend their time improving rather than fixing the course. Just sayin!
Old 08-30-2021, 04:58 AM

This is supposed to be about the greens.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Repairing ball marks on the green is good exercise.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:03 AM
Default Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Repairing ball marks on the green is good exercise.
I do my best to repair mine and couple more while waiting on others to putt or chip up.
The other day I played, repaired my mark and started looking for others. One of the guys we were paired with said “ you landed way over here, play ready golf”. I started laughing because he was in the fringe a long way from the pin and his partner was in a fairway bunker. Btw, neither of them fixed a ball mark.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick010207 View Post
It's not intelligent life in golf management that is the problem. It is intelligent life and concern by the golfers themselves who have to be told to stay on the cart path when the area is obviously wet, and repeatedly to fix their divots and ball marks and to return rakes fully to the sand trap that are the problem. Same goes for all other golf course conditions. Just sit and watch. You'll see golfers leave the cart path immediately from the tee-box to drive to their ball rather than following the 90 degree rule to reduce traffic in the fairways and golfers who take a nice divot on their second shot only to climb into their cart parked right beside the ball with a full sand bottle and take off for their next shot. You'll watch players with and without CAP cards pull right up to the greens or drive between the greens and sand trap to get to their ball where they take another divot and leave it for someone else to fill. Ambassadors and maintenance can only do so much to clean up after those golfers who do not care about the next person and leave the course battered and bruised when they are done. If everyone would follow the old rule prevalent in camping to leave your site as though you were never there when they play golf you would get your pristine greens and fairways and maintenance could spend their time improving rather than fixing the course. Just sayin!
That's about it in a nutshell.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinFL View Post
I do my best to repair mine and couple more while waiting on others to putt or chip up.
The other day I played, repaired my mark and started looking for others. One of the guys we were paired with said “ you landed way over here, play ready golf”. I started laughing because he was in the fringe a long way from the pin and his partner was in a fairway bunker. Btw, neither of them fixed a ball mark.
Typical.

I hope your response was "Yes, way over there, inside both of you". They may be the same guys I played with several weeks ago that would be 30-50 yards behind my drive, but would wait for me to hit my second shot first because "I was away"
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, speed, rolling, green, nines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.