Mira Mesa

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2023, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Mira Mesa

So, after trying to get on Mira Mesa via open tee times on a Sunday, my golfing buddy and I played it this morning.

We had heard that it was in great condition after it was recently “redone”

What a friggin disappointment !

The greens were just horrendous !

Not diseased, bare spots or anything like that . Best as I can describe is a series of small, puffy , subtle waves making up the entire greens. ALL OF THE GREENS WERE THE SAME .

They were very SLOW and if you wanted to have a straight put , GOOD LUCK !!

I’m not a greens keeper and apparently the folks that maintain there courses are not either but common sense to tell you that they need to be cut and rolled ….

The rest of the course WAS decent ….
Old 05-14-2023, 09:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
So, after trying to get on Mira Mesa via open tee times on a Sunday, my golfing buddy and I played it this morning.

Not diseased, bare spots or anything like that . Best as I can describe is a series of small, puffy , subtle waves making up the entire greens. ALL OF THE GREENS WERE THE SAME .

I’m not a greens keeper and apparently the folks that maintain there courses are not either but common sense to tell you that they need to be cut and rolled ….

Sure sounds like rolled for sure ! Wonder if this is a technique for this unusually hot and dry weather... like they tell us to do with our lawns, NOT stress them by allowing them to grow higher than usual in this weather ?
Old 05-15-2023, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Sure sounds like rolled for sure ! Wonder if this is a technique for this unusually hot and dry weather... like they tell us to do with our lawns, NOT stress them by allowing them to grow higher than usual in this weather ?
That may be but if so , Mira Mesa is THE ONLY course doing so in The Villages !
Old 05-18-2023, 10:50 PM

Mid June, my sister is coming from Chicago! She is a phenomenal golfer? In the Villages, which courses would she be impressed with???
Old 05-19-2023, 04:30 AM

Baseline in Ocala.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvshworles View Post
Mid June, my sister is coming from Chicago! She is a phenomenal golfer? In the Villages, which courses would she be impressed with???
In The Villages, the best Championship courses <in my opinion> are Glenview, Lopez and Palmer ….

The rest of the Championship courses are also good although on the dry side due to the lack of rain.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
In The Villages, the best Championship courses <in my opinion> are Glenview, Lopez and Palmer ….

The rest of the Championship courses are also good although on the dry side due to the lack of rain.
I agree with that but would add Mallory to the list.

I've been away for the last two weeks and played Glenview today. wow! What a difference a little rain makes. Greens were beautiful. They weren't bad over the past few months but today they were soft and slower- not rock-hard fast. -
Old 05-23-2023, 05:51 PM

It's a Executive course..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every foot dragging never repairing ball mark never repairing divots golf hack is out there.
That is all.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvshworles View Post
all championship courses
Old 05-26-2023, 10:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

championship courses
Old 05-31-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I would add Cane Garden and get the Hibiscus 9 as it has great views along the lakes. I like Alhambra/Hibiscus as my order of play. Greens are in great shape too… tees, like most everywhere are beat up. Tierra del Sol greens are great too.

Basically all the ones up north are in good conditions and all have challenging tees depending on level of play.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2468 View Post
Every foot dragging never repairing ball mark never repairing divots golf hack is out there.
That is all.
Played there and there were not any ball marks and scuffed areas caused by people dragging their feet. Play most of the courses in the north end and this was the only course where a ball bounced 4-5 times over a distance of 20 feet.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:16 AM
Default My Wife & I Played Mira Mesa

Quote:

My wife and I also played Mira Mesa and were very disappointed with the Greens and Tee Boxes. Apparently, neither the Greens or Tee Boxes are being properly maintained. The grass on the Tee Boxes is very deep and the Greens have a lot of "rumply-bumplys" that make straight putts impossible and un-mowed grass that greens slow. Also, the Tee Boxes are composed of a very hard, clay like soil that makes it difficult to insert your Tee. The Villages could have saved a lot of money if they had closed Mira Mesa for 30 days to "refurbish" the course and make specific changes/upgrades like the bio-swales they added rather than the total rebuild they performed.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2468 View Post
That is all.
Speak for yourself everyone I play with is always careful to replace or repair any damage. Which by the way is very very rare.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:00 AM

Me too. If I see a ball mark, I fix it. No big deal. And I can't remember ever, foot scratches throwing off my putts.
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, mira, mesa, entire, slow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.