Nancy Lopez Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 08:24 AM
Gold member

I played there on Tuesday. Ashley's greens are very bumpy and slow. The greens on Torri were much different, covered with sand, and quite a bit faster. I've always found Lopez to be well maintained, and expect when the plugs are healed, it will go back to good conditions.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Incompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee024 View Post
A properly aerated green should recover to less than 2 weeks. Anything less is an example of a improperly aersated green. Been playing golf in Florida for over 50 years so I know.
I have to agree. Maybe somebody is incompetent?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 AM
Unhappy Important to add date of posting for Golf Course Conditions

Please add date of posting in title. This report is three months old but is still displayed on TOTV. Need to update it or take it down. Thanks.

Quote:
Played NL last Thursday and Tuesday this week. Sad to say what terrible greens on Ashley and Torri. It has been some time since they were aerated, but they have not recovered. This is a classic example of non golf course professional trying to to a rather easy job of punching and top dressing greens. I will say there fairways are in good shape, but also, not fully recovered. Some of the par 3 white tee boxes have very little grass. This is FL, the easiest thing to grow is grass.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donb0975 View Post
The Villages courses have 3 million rounds played in year and with the virus every group has 4 carts in use. These 4 carts put a great deal of stress on a course (reason for closer of courses after 1st wave). You will find courses outside TV that overseed and have at times better conditions but overall I don't believe they offer better golf experience day in and day out than what we have in TV.
First of all, the number of carts has nothing to do with the condition of the greens.

Secondly, those three million rounds are spread over 32 executive and 12 Championship courses. Nine holes are considered a round on the executive courses. Generally, number of round statistics are based on 18 hole rounds so the number of rounds on executives should be cut in half.

Even with that, the 3 million rounds on our 608 holes is about average for a 12 season golf course.

I've played golf all over the world on some of the finest courses and some of the worst courses. In my humble opinion, the conditions in The Villages are #1 very inconsistent. Courses go from being in decent shape to abysmal over the course of a year.

For the prices that are charged for the championship courses, you can get much better conditions outside The Villages.

I've worked and played at golf courses in other parts of Florida that are very busy in the winter and most were in better shape that The Villages courses.

I'm sorry, but these courses are no more busy than other comparable courses and are in worse shape for courses charging comparable fees.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 AM
Gold member

We played Ashley to Torri yesterday, and the course was in good shape, including the greens. The aeration plugs seem to have fully healed, the bumpiness was gone, and the speed was fine. No complaints.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:47 PM

Played Lopez Monday and the whole course was in great shape. This post is really old and should be taken down .
Old 07-16-2020, 07:22 AM
Default Really??

We played there last week and the greens were as good as any in the Villages. Are you expecting greens such as at the Masters? Not going to happen.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Played NL last Thursday and Tuesday this week. Sad to say what terrible greens on Ashley and Torri. It has been some time since they were aerated, but they have not recovered. This is a classic example of non golf course professional trying to to a rather easy job of punching and top dressing greens. I will say there fairways are in good shape, but also, not fully recovered. Some of the par 3 white tee boxes have very little grass. This is FL, the easiest thing to grow is grass.
Hummm. I played NL this past Friday. The greens were better than any in the Villages except maybe Tierra. I’m curious, what is your handicap index?
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, recovered, grass, golf, dressing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.