Nancy Lopez Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Default Nancy Lopez Golf Course

Played NL last Thursday and Tuesday this week. Sad to say what terrible greens on Ashley and Torri. It has been some time since they were aerated, but they have not recovered. This is a classic example of non golf course professional trying to to a rather easy job of punching and top dressing greens. I will say there fairways are in good shape, but also, not fully recovered. Some of the par 3 white tee boxes have very little grass. This is FL, the easiest thing to grow is grass.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee024 View Post
Played NL last Thursday and Tuesday this week. Sad to say what terrible greens on Ashley and Torri. It has been some time since they were aerated, but they have not recovered. This is a classic example of non golf course professional trying to to a rather easy job of punching and top dressing greens. I will say there fairways are in good shape, but also, not fully recovered. Some of the par 3 white tee boxes have very little grass. This is FL, the easiest thing to grow is grass.
I played Ashley to Tori a couple weeks ago, just before the greens were punched, and they were as good as any greens I have ever played in the Villages (with the possible exception of Tierra Del Sol). Give them some time to recover.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Default Lopez

Greens still
Very bad as of today. Need 3
4’more weeks
Old 06-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I played Ashley to Tori a couple weeks ago, just before the greens were punched, and they were as good as any greens I have ever played in the Villages (with the possible exception of Tierra Del Sol). Give them some time to recover.
A properly aerated green should recover to less than 2 weeks. Anything less is an example of a improperly aersated green. Been playing golf in Florida for over 50 years so I know.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 AM

Played Lopez this past Wednesday...also disappointed in the greens...bumpy...ball hopped across the green when putted. Didn't expect that since it's been so long since aeration.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Try playing out of The Villages once in a while so that you can see how a golf course should be maintained....

We played Harbor Hills on Wednesday and the conditions were as close to a “private” club as you can get .

$25 with their “Mulligan Pass” we were given a couple of weeks ago ......
Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 AM

The Villages courses have 3 million rounds played in year and with the virus every group has 4 carts in use. These 4 carts put a great deal of stress on a course (reason for closer of courses after 1st wave). You will find courses outside TV that overseed and have at times better conditions but overall I don't believe they offer better golf experience day in and day out than what we have in TV.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donb0975 View Post
The Villages courses have 3 million rounds played in year and with the virus every group has 4 carts in use. These 4 carts put a great deal of stress on a course (reason for closer of courses after 1st wave). You will find courses outside TV that overseed and have at times better conditions but overall I don't believe they offer better golf experience day in and day out than what we have in TV.
The “one person per cart” mandate has now been lifted so perhaps people (friends) will go back to two persons per cart as before .

On the weekends, all championship courses are now on straight tee times . So the courses get a little break .

Perhaps the championship courses should permanently go to straight tee times instead of the wave system. That would certainly give the courses a break to recover a little and so that they can be properly maintained.

We all know this is not going to happen because it’s all about the Benjamins and not about giving you better than average course conditions.......
Old 06-20-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donb0975 View Post
are you a golf course superinteendent
Old 06-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Gold member

Played Glenview Friday. Just awful. I do not understand why they punch the greens when they are in great shape and are still using the large tines instead of the smaller ones. And why so long to heal? Could it be ineptitude?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Played Glenview Friday. Just awful. I do not understand why they punch the greens when they are in great shape and are still using the large tines instead of the smaller ones. And why so long to heal? Could it be ineptitude?
And the reason they WERE in great shape, as you state, is BECAUSE they punch them as you described. The smaller holes do not achieve the desired results in the long run.

You do know that you can refer to the aerification schedule online so that you can avoid playing on a course recently punched if it’s that important to you.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:04 AM

Played Lopez Friday and Saturday and yes, the greens have not yet recovered from the punching done in late May. Many of the bunkers had hard compacted sand with little depth. Fairways were thin and some tee boxes were just about grass-less. Needles to say, it needs a lot of work to get back to the beautiful course it used to be.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee024 View Post
A properly aerated green should recover to less than 2 weeks. Anything less is an example of a improperly aersated green. Been playing golf in Florida for over 50 years so I know.
I use to belong to a private course up north. They would aerate the the greens, top dress them with sand then water them for a few hours. The next day you could hardly tell they had been aerated.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcnall View Post
Played Lopez Friday and Saturday and yes, the greens have not yet recovered from the punching done in late May. Many of the bunkers had hard compacted sand with little depth. Fairways were thin and some tee boxes were just about grass-less. Needles to say, it needs a lot of work to get back to the beautiful course it used to be.
One Arm has been redone, another arm is in process of being redone. You must of been on the last arm to be done?
Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Played Lopez this past Wednesday...also disappointed in the greens...bumpy...ball hopped across the green when putted. Didn't expect that since it's been so long since aeration.
So, you missed you’re putts right? The greens are lumpy from golfers that don’t fix they’re divots and can’t wake 10 yards from the cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, recovered, grass, golf, dressing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.