No more play in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Default No more play in The Villages

My group has decided we will no longer play in the Villages until course conditions improve or the powers that be understand that raising prices for an inferior product is unacceptable.

While no one can solve the drought problem, one can realize that the courses have provided an experience inferior to what we have come to expect and price the experience accordingly.

Yet rather than lowering greens fees, they have increased them. That's a slap in the face to those of us who have supported Villages golf for many years.

So guys, until you realize that you can't increase costs for a declining product, we'll motor elsewhere. It's not like there is a shortage of courses in the surrounding area.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Well lets see some folks want prices lowered and water increased....it hasn't rained enough to allow them to water enough so in order to do so they have to buy water...that costs more money and prices go up accordingly. Some people may want to have their cake and eat it to, but it's not going to happen. Fortunately the adults are in charge and common sense will rule over whining.

There is no slap in the face...this is not personally directed towards the poster, but to those with unreasonable demands who fail to think things through.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

My info may be wrong
I've been told greens keepers are just landscapers
I don't know why they bother to plug fairways and never over dress them.
My other pet peeve is executive golf made the Villages what it is today..Free golf sold all these homes
Executive greens should be every bit as good as the championship greens
Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

As of today rates have decreased by 38% before 11 AM and 56% after 11 AM
Old 05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpi767 View Post
My group has decided we will no longer play in the Villages until course conditions improve or the powers that be understand that raising prices for an inferior product is unacceptable.

While no one can solve the drought problem, one can realize that the courses have provided an experience inferior to what we have come to expect and price the experience accordingly.

Yet rather than lowering greens fees, they have increased them. That's a slap in the face to those of us who have supported Villages golf for many years.

So guys, until you realize that you can't increase costs for a declining product, we'll motor elsewhere. It's not like there is a shortage of courses in the surrounding area.
Good idea.....since you are an expert I believe we should follow you.....I'm always pleased that we have so many people here that have the knowledge to give direction to greenskeepers/maintenance personnel. Thanks for your help.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We'll miss you.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We'll miss you.
We will try to bear up.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We'll miss you.
doubt it
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

In the spirit of helpfulness, I think I can save you a lot of money. If you ever think of plunking down some big bucks and flying to Scotland to play some of the famed courses...........don't do it.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Default Course condition

I agree with anyone who wishes to take their business elsewhere. You don't have to be an agronomist to know that cutting the rough down to nothing before it goes dormant is going to create poor conditions. When you compare our courses to similar outside courses, we pay about the same or more, AND use our own carts.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What's the deal with the late afternoon rates. Isn't there some really low fee for all you can play after 4:00?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

When you say "your group" are you talking about a foursome or a large number of players.

The only way that rates will come down will be if the number of players drops off. And if that happens you can expect course conditions to worsen and income will decrease. As long as people keep coming to play the rates will stay where they are or go up. Like anything else, it's all about supply and demand.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to Laschott
Default golfer

I agree the golf courses this year are not what we expect from The Villages. But we have to take in consideration the lack of water. The greens this year have held up nicely it's the fairways and the tees that are lacking. If you go north of 466 they seem to have held up better than the golf courses south of 466. They had more rain on the north side of the villages than the South Side. So try playing Orange blossom, Hacienda Hills , Tierra Del Sol and Nancy Lopez
Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Mankind is a strange breed. I know of some golfers who have a strange half smile when they hear an ambulance.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I thought I had seen some unacceptable condition executive courses this year. However last Saturday we played Heron. The shame of shames.

T boxes little more than than dirt/sand patches. When I say no grass there was none.

Think of the worst greens you have seen in TV....Heron's wins hands down.

I do not buy into the draught offering as many other courses with responsible maintenance show stress, not neglect.

I have also heard the tale that because Pelican and Heron get so much more wild life it creates a problem.

These two courses show what insufficient maintenance begets. And it also demonstrates the level of neglect the majority of players are content to put up with.

I have said my piece to the management. I have also scratched those two courses from any play list.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, product, realize, experience, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.