No more play in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

Not exactly on topic, but live next to a tee where men golfers tee off. The grass is often dead from the golfers leaving their carts and walking to the tee. When the maintenance crew attempts to remedy the situation and plants sod in that dirt and sand patch, they erect a barrier of low chain hung from posts.

To my amazement, rather than walking around the chain, nine out of ten golfers ignore the barrier, step over it and trample the new sod.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Great! Another tee time just opened up. I wish I was so good at golf that some imperfections would bother me so much that my game would go down the toilet. I have played a few outside courses, but most of them are no better for the price. Tough when you have no water, and a million golfers a day. OK, only several hundred playing each day.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Well lets see some folks want prices lowered and water increased....it hasn't rained enough to allow them to water enough so in order to do so they have to buy water...that costs more money and prices go up accordingly. Some people may want to have their cake and eat it to, but it's not going to happen. Fortunately the adults are in charge and common sense will rule over whining.

There is no slap in the face...this is not personally directed towards the poster, but to those with unreasonable demands who fail to think things through.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh57 View Post
we'll miss you.
nope
Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
nope
well put, Dave
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

C'mon y'all, why such enmity simply because someone expresses their opinion?

Disagreeing with an opinion is certainly one thing (of which I've actually been known to do myself, once in a great while ), but some of these responses...go way beyond what seems necessary.

Or have we forgotten our 'supposed' motto?

"The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Hometown"
Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Great! Another tee time just opened up. I wish I was so good at golf that some imperfections would bother me so much that my game would go down the toilet. I have played a few outside courses, but most of them are no better for the price. Tough when you have no water, and a million golfers a day. OK, only several hundred playing each day.
Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Again, this post comes up all the time. The courses are open for play, either play or go elsewhere. Nothing said here is going to make it rain or make it better. Played today, Belle Glade, course was in good condition. I challenge any course that gets the same amount of play, and so little rain to have better conditions. No rain, limited watering, huge amounts of play equal dry conditions and little grass.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Again, this post comes up all the time. The courses are open for play, either play or go elsewhere. Nothing said here is going to make it rain or make it better. Played today, Belle Glade, course was in good condition. I challenge any course that gets the same amount of play, and so little rain to have better conditions. No rain, limited watering, huge amounts of play equal dry conditions and little grass.
Good to hear, playing there tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Gold member

Grass does not root adequately when there is not a satisfactory base of top soil when the course is constructed. The Villages Courses have a very minimal soil base under the "grass". This is readily visible with every divot taken you see a disintegrating mixture of mostly sand with minimal soil and grass, not a semi-solid or solid divot. Without proper rooting the grass has extreme difficulty retaining water, creating worse course conditions when rain is minimal as it is now. The older Villages Courses on the north side have had years of aerification allowing the base underneath to mature and the ability of the grass to root deeper. Initial course construction can make a big difference in conditions when minimal rain occurs.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Grass does not root adequately when there is not a satisfactory base of top soil when the course is constructed. The Villages Courses have a very minimal soil base under the "grass". This is readily visible with every divot taken you see a disintegrating mixture of mostly sand with minimal soil and grass, not a semi-solid or solid divot. Without proper rooting the grass has extreme difficulty retaining water, creating worse course conditions when rain is minimal as it is now. The older Villages Courses on the north side have had years of aerification allowing the base underneath to mature and the ability of the grass to root deeper. Initial course construction can make a big difference in conditions when minimal rain occurs.
When I'm playing poorly, my divots are large enough from laying the sod over...that I'm certainly doing my part on aerating the fairways.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
When I'm playing poorly, my divots are large enough from laying the sod over...that I'm certainly doing my part on aerating the fairways.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage

Played Belle Glade this AM, nothing wrong with the condition.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Played Belle Glade this AM, nothing wrong with the condition.
A second opinion.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM

I played Bonifay today. Course was really pretty good. Grass in fairways and most greens were very nice.

Tags
villages, product, realize, experience, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.