Orange Blossom Hills

Orange Blossom Hills

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

I now see new meaning in the lyrics.

beatles fixing a hole - Google Search

Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 AM

I played Copperhead in Palm Harbor last week. I don't have any expectations of TV courses as compared to that. I just view TV courses as being out on a nice day. Are people allowed to smoke cigars on TV courses?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
I played Copperhead in Palm Harbor last week. I don't have any expectations of TV courses as compared to that. I just view TV courses as being out on a nice day. Are people allowed to smoke cigars on TV courses?
As far as I know they are. Smell cigar smoke quite often when I'm playing. I would think trying to smoke a stogie and swinging a club at the same time would be hard to do.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
As far as I know they are. Smell cigar smoke quite often when I'm playing. I would think trying to smoke a stogie and swinging a club at the same time would be hard to do.
Yeah good point it has to be a Tony Soprano type!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last Friday I played Palmer (Laurel to Riley) and it's the plushest I've seen a golf course here since I came in 2011. Especially after you play Evans Prairie or Bonifay where the fairways and even the rough is cut to the bone. All the other couses should take note of how Arnold Palmer is kept.

I had found Cane Garden and Havana to be in fairly good shape considering the heat of the summer, just not as green and plush as Palmer. I'm playing Mallory (Caroline to Virginia) this Friday. Of the three newest courses, it seems Belle Glade is usually the best, the fairways there are at the level that it took Bonifay five years to reach, and in some cases still haven't reached. Plus on Bonifay Pensacola the Par 5 ninth hole is a temporary par 4 until they reopen the green, which was scheduled for August 1st.

I think if Doc played a rotation of Havana, Mallory, Palmer and Cane Garden he would find overall better conditions. That's where we mainly play plus the three newest, which we know going in are a little skimpy on the grass.
I played Palmer last week and was very disappointed. For the most part, the fairways were OK. I hit it into the fairway on the second hole of Cherry Hill however and was on hard dirt. The greens were atrocious but they had been aerified and topdressed recently. Many had large bare patches which are going to take a long time to come back. I'll try those other three courses and let you know what I think.

What I notice on a lot of our golf courses is that the greens don't have much of a root system. It's almost impossible to properly fix a ball mark because the turf just comes right out of the ground when you try to pull it toward the depression.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM

If you honestly believe whoever told you their budget is 52,000 for maintaining whatever course you were at, shows your lack of knowledge that you claim you have so much of about golf courses.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM

Why not try Frolf instead?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

My husband is a priority member and plays 3 days a week. He belonged to a private club in NJ. He has told me the courses are pretty good ( I play executive). There are some great courses outside of TV. He has played Golden Ocala numerous times and conditions are outstanding. The course gets very little play most of the year. The catch green fees are $150. He plays Disney courses and they are in very good shape. He likes the convenience of play in TV. When you go off site it turns into a very long day. He is satisfied with the TV courses and feels the green fees are reasonable.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last Friday I played Palmer (Laurel to Riley) and it's the plushest I've seen a golf course here since I came in 2011. Especially after you play Evans Prairie or Bonifay where the fairways and even the rough is cut to the bone. All the other couses should take note of how Arnold Palmer is kept.

I had found Cane Garden and Havana to be in fairly good shape considering the heat of the summer, just not as green and plush as Palmer. I'm playing Mallory (Caroline to Virginia) this Friday. Of the three newest courses, it seems Belle Glade is usually the best, the fairways there are at the level that it took Bonifay five years to reach, and in some cases still haven't reached. Plus on Bonifay Pensacola the Par 5 ninth hole is a temporary par 4 until they reopen the green, which was scheduled for August 1st.

I think if Doc played a rotation of Havana, Mallory, Palmer and Cane Garden he would find overall better conditions. That's where we mainly play plus the three newest, which we know going in are a little skimpy on the grass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I played Palmer last week and was very disappointed. For the most part, the fairways were OK. I hit it into the fairway on the second hole of Cherry Hill however and was on hard dirt. The greens were atrocious but they had been aerified and topdressed recently. Many had large bare patches which are going to take a long time to come back. I'll try those other three courses and let you know what I think.

What I notice on a lot of our golf courses is that the greens don't have much of a root system. It's almost impossible to properly fix a ball mark because the turf just comes right out of the ground when you try to pull it toward the depression.
Somebody (?) is full of x454.... applesauce!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Great post.

Again, for those of you that have nothing to do but complain about the courses, I doubt anyone from the Golf and Country Club Division reads TOTV. Take the time it takes you to write a post about how horrible the conditions are and call the folks at 352.753.3396 and express your displeasure to them; no one on TOTV can solve your issues.
You might want to check out the name of this sub-forum.

Tags
rate, played, shape, glade, hacienda