Pace of play on Championship courses?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Default Pace of play on Championship courses?

Can someone explain the delay occurring when you make the turn from your first nine and starting the second nine. Your first nine holes goes fine. A reasonable pace, no wait between holes, to a pace where you have to wait 10 min between shots every time. You wait until the green is clear, hit your shot, chip and putt then drive up to the next tee box only to wait for the foursome ahead of you to start to tee off. I don't want to hear the most stupid answer that we are playing to fast! The fact is that they are over booking the system with 9 hole players.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:41 AM

Agree 100%
We have run into this several times. You have 3 nines. Use two for 18 hole play and the last one for nine holes. Played Cane in late December. Turned off Hibiscus to Jacaranda. Had to wait for THREE groups to tee off. The pace of play was somewhat ok after the fourth hole. Starter on jacaranda told us when we pulled up”you have 3 groups before you can tee off”. Best part is she thought it was funny. Giggling as she told us to wait.
They want you to play “ready “ golf, but then you get penalized for doing so. I guess it doesn’t seem that difficult to me to make tee times further apart. AND for what we pay, conditions could be better.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1224 View Post
Can someone explain the delay occurring when you make the turn from your first nine and starting the second nine. Your first nine holes goes fine. A reasonable pace, no wait between holes, to a pace where you have to wait 10 min between shots every time. You wait until the green is clear, hit your shot, chip and putt then drive up to the next tee box only to wait for the foursome ahead of you to start to tee off. I don't want to hear the most stupid answer that we are playing to fast! The fact is that they are over booking the system with 9 hole players.
That's "the fact"??????

Unfortunately , that makes no sense whatsoever vis a vis slower play on your back 9. They book the morning wave 7:28-9:28 and afternoon wave 11:56-1:56, regardless of 18 vs 9 hole play (and at this time of year there is only 9 hole play on weekends, before 8:00 and after 1:00) A group playing 9 drops out after their front 9, creating an open space and FASTER play. Depending on your tee time, you may be running into the last of the wave at the turn causing slower play, since there are now 15+ groups ahead of you on the back nine and more of a chance that some of them are slower. The solution is to give the ambassadors more power to speed things up. At many courses a group that is slow will be asked to skip a hole, and if they refuse their golfing privileges are suspended for a time. But then you are turning the ambassadors into golf course Nazis......and for some of them, absolute power corrupts absolutely
Old 02-07-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
Agree 100%
We have run into this several times. You have 3 nines. Use two for 18 hole play and the last one for nine holes. Played Cane in late December. Turned off Hibiscus to Jacaranda. Had to wait for THREE groups to tee off. The pace of play was somewhat ok after the fourth hole. Starter on jacaranda told us when we pulled up”you have 3 groups before you can tee off”. Best part is she thought it was funny. Giggling as she told us to wait.
They want you to play “ready “ golf, but then you get penalized for doing so. I guess it doesn’t seem that difficult to me to make tee times further apart. AND for what we pay, conditions could be better.
Eight minutes apart is pretty standard and more than adequate. Bethpage Black gets 104 foursomes off on a long summer day, or at least they used to. Let's put the blame for slow play where it belongs----Not on the tee times, not on the greens fees, but solely on the golfers. And conditions could always be better, everywhere but Augusta
Old 02-07-2022, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

To the ones that are whining about it, have you gone into the Golf Shop for the courses you have the issues with and talked to the Facility Manager (the Golf Pro) and expressed your displeasure with the way things are run? Didn’t think so…..
Old 02-07-2022, 07:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Explain??..................bottomline, the front nine was played too fast and created a snowball starting at about hole #12 and the snowball is rolling backwards.

Just like driving down the HiWay and a couple people tap their brakes.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Eight minutes apart is pretty standard and more than adequate. Bethpage Black gets 104 foursomes off on a long summer day, or at least they used to. Let's put the blame for slow play where it belongs----Not on the tee times, not on the greens fees, but solely on the golfers. And conditions could always be better, everywhere but Augusta
I disagree...

Last time I played Augusta, the pine straw in the woods was abysmal...

Then, I woke up...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2022, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I disagree...

Last time I played Augusta, the pine straw in the woods was abysmal...

Then, I woke up...
The last 3 times I played it, I was annoyed that the azaleas weren't in bloom
Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 AM

This is just my opinion based on rudimentary knowledge of what I have seen in TV golf.
Most golfers play fast and expect to be done with 9 holes in about 1:30 to 1:45. Using the wave the entire system is predicated on a two hour turn. If you turn in less then there are still posted tee times staring on the other nine.
One does not have to like to system but it is a good way to maximize play.
My home course in the north has 27 holes and they do not use the wave. They simply schedule the same rotation all day. The North turns East, the East turns South, and the South turns North. Then it become random chaos for the starter but by then the GM is no longer there so there is no problem. Lol!
Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Default Slow play?

The winter rough is high, which makes finding a ball harder I get that. What I don't get is the fact that after I let the green clear, in the time I hit my second shot, chip and 4 putt, the foursome ahead of me has not even teed off ! Some foursomes play different rules of golf? They are inconsiderate of the other foursomes! They do not play ready golf!

There are no ambassadors to be found on the courses anymore, if you happen to see one, they are gone in a flash!
Old 02-07-2022, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Not a fan of the wave system, but that’s what they do here on the 27 hole courses so you have to learn how to deal with it. I have been on both sides of the coin here. If you are the first couple times of the wave and play at a good pace, you are going to wait at the turn. If you are later in the wave and early for your t time, you often still have a couple groups of angry golfers standing there with their hands on their hips staring you down like you are a jerk for having the audacity to show up on time for your round of golf. That’s why I love it when the weather is cold and nasty like the last three weekends, no one golfs and it’s easy to get in a stress free sub three hour 18 holes : ) with no waiting or being stared down. Other good options are to play one of the three 18 hole Championship courses that have straight t times (as a bonus you can start mid morning until noon). I like it during the slower months, when on of the 9’s is often shut down for maintenance on the 27 hole courses, and they also run straight t times. Golf on!
Old 02-07-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We have a family of bobcats that live in the wildlife preserve behind our home. We periodically see them walking along on top of the fence between the homes and the preserve, sometimes during daylight. They like walking on top of the fence as the elevated vantage point makes it easier to identify a potential snack. The bobcats are smaller than our dog, and she never goes outside without our company, so no worries. I wouldn’t let a small dog out there unattended though. The only wildlife in the preserve that gives us concern are the snakes, specially the cotton mouths/water moccasins, nothing else is threatening in our opinion.

Whoops, posted this on the wrong thread, my bad! Supposed to be on the “Bobcat in my backyard” thread.

Last edited by tophcfa; 02-07-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Wrong thread, sorry
Old 02-07-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
The last 3 times I played it, I was annoyed that the azaleas weren't in bloom
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2022, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not a fan of the wave system, but that’s what they do here on the 27 hole courses so you have to learn how to deal with it. I have been on both sides of the coin here. If you are the first couple times of the wave and play at a good pace, you are going to wait at the turn. If you are later in the wave and early for your t time, you often still have a couple groups of angry golfers standing there with their hands on their hips staring you down like you are a jerk for having the audacity to show up on time for your round of golf. That’s why I love it when the weather is cold and nasty like the last three weekends, no one golfs and it’s easy to get in a stress free sub three hour 18 holes : ) with no waiting or being stared down. Other good options are to play one of the three 18 hole Championship courses that have straight t times (as a bonus you can start mid morning until noon). I like it during the slower months, when on of the 9’s is often shut down for maintenance on the 27 hole courses, and they also run straight t times. Golf on!
We call that "the Villages pose". You know, leaning on a club in the left hand, R hand on hip and staring at the green waiting. Last time this happened, my friend's son( who is a pro in Boca) and I were playing and waiting on every shot. We were just a twosome and the group behind us assumed "the Villages pose" while we were on the green. We looked at each other then in unison assumed "the Villages pose" right back at them. They got the hint.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
We call that "the Villages pose". You know, leaning on a club in the left hand, R hand on hip and staring at the green waiting. Last time this happened, my friend's son( who is a pro in Boca) and I were playing and waiting on every shot. We were just a twosome and the group behind us assumed "the Villages pose" while we were on the green. We looked at each other then in unison assumed "the Villages pose" right back at them. They got the hint.
Like this?

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
wait, pace, tee, holes, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.