Old 02-07-2022, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

You guys crackle me up ;-)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:00 PM
Default Pace of Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1224 View Post
Can someone explain the delay occurring when you make the turn from your first nine and starting the second nine. Your first nine holes goes fine. A reasonable pace, no wait between holes, to a pace where you have to wait 10 min between shots every time. You wait until the green is clear, hit your shot, chip and putt then drive up to the next tee box only to wait for the foursome ahead of you to start to tee off. I don't want to hear the most stupid answer that we are playing to fast! The fact is that they are over booking the system with 9 hole players.
With using the wave system, it is simple math. Most courses have approximately a 2 hour 10 minute minute pace of play for 9 holes. The morning wave runs from 7:28-9:28am. If you tee off at 7:28 and play in 90 minutes (complete front nine at 8:58am), you will wait approximately 35-40 minutes until you can tee off on the 10th hole, as you need to wait for the morning wave to complete the 9:28 tee time. So unfortunately, playing too fast is often not a good thing. Ambassadors try to insure everyone is keeping pace with the group in front of them as well as making sure they are playing within the pace of play guidelines (which are listed on the scorecard).
Old 02-08-2022, 12:37 PM

Pee break!!
Old 02-09-2022, 06:20 AM

You turned too fast.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:24 AM

If you don't like to wait. The play at a straight 18 course, Orange Blossum or Tierra Del Sol
Old 02-09-2022, 08:12 PM

I would "guess" that part of the reason is that there are plenty of open times first thing in the morning and that results in groups moving along at a better pace on the front. However by the time you get to the turn, those scheduled to go off between 9:00-9:30 are still waiting for their tee time. I run into this a lot as I play in the mornings as a single once or twice a week. I agree the best bet is to do a straight 18 hole course if you want move at a steady pace (you can add the new course to that 18 hole list)
Old 02-12-2022, 06:05 AM

This is a retirement community, slow down and take a breath. It is called golf not horse racing. Perhaps they are just tired after the first 9.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:50 AM

I find it impossible for my foursome to play a 4 hour and 16 minute round of golf unless we are waiting on every hole. How is the pace of play determined? My groups usually play in 3:45 or less when we don't have to wait on almost every hole. Maybe we need to give the ambassadors a little more power to move the slow groups along. The groups that slow down the course have a great day while every group behind them has a miserable day waiting and waiting and waiting.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ll649 View Post
I find it impossible for my foursome to play a 4 hour and 16 minute round of golf unless we are waiting on every hole. How is the pace of play determined? My groups usually play in 3:45 or less when we don't have to wait on almost every hole. Maybe we need to give the ambassadors a little more power to move the slow groups along. The groups that slow down the course have a great day while every group behind them has a miserable day waiting and waiting and waiting.
I agree with the previous poster. I am not sure it would be wise to give Ambassadors more power.

As an example, I recently played an 18 hole course. The 7th hole is a par 3. As we drove up, there was a group still on the green with the ambassador beside the green waiting. The group cleared the green within a minute of us arriving at the tee box and we teed off and drove up beside the ambassador who made a comment about us needing to play faster. This guy clearly had no clue what was going on around him. He was looking only looking at a time sheet I am sure. We can not play faster than the group in front. Go talk to the people leading the wave (and certainly do not wait on the 7th hole to say something to that group). They probably needed a reminder on the 3rd or 4th hole.

Since Covid turned over many of the Ambassadors, I find those remaining are mostly very poor at controlling the pace of play or even having much of a clue about golf. I asked 2 recently what the Stimp numbers were. They did not even know what a Stimpmeter is.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:53 PM
Default Common Sense not a part of a golfers makeup

The last tee time is 9:30. You teed off at 7:30, if you pace yourself for 2 hours you are perfect, if you rush and have to wait...you are not too bright...if you complain about it then your even less bright......the less ambassadors talk to golfers the better because they are all self serving and the ambassador is just trying to make things right. Its never you that plays too fast or too slow its always the other guy. They do a great job here as they are locked into the 2 hour mode, which is great....if you play in under 2 hours you don't get it....and if you write in about it, please use an alias as you don't want folks to know how bright you are not. Get a dog, he will listen to all of your stupidity and smile as long as you feed him. Its 2 hours, smarten up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendy View Post
With using the wave system, it is simple math. Most courses have approximately a 2 hour 10 minute minute pace of play for 9 holes. The morning wave runs from 7:28-9:28am. If you tee off at 7:28 and play in 90 minutes (complete front nine at 8:58am), you will wait approximately 35-40 minutes until you can tee off on the 10th hole, as you need to wait for the morning wave to complete the 9:28 tee time. So unfortunately, playing too fast is often not a good thing. Ambassadors try to insure everyone is keeping pace with the group in front of them as well as making sure they are playing within the pace of play guidelines (which are listed on the scorecard).
Old 02-17-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's "the fact"??????

Unfortunately , that makes no sense whatsoever vis a vis slower play on your back 9. They book the morning wave 7:28-9:28 and afternoon wave 11:56-1:56, regardless of 18 vs 9 hole play (and at this time of year there is only 9 hole play on weekends, before 8:00 and after 1:00) A group playing 9 drops out after their front 9, creating an open space and FASTER play. Depending on your tee time, you may be running into the last of the wave at the turn causing slower play, since there are now 15+ groups ahead of you on the back nine and more of a chance that some of them are slower. The solution is to give the ambassadors more power to speed things up. At many courses a group that is slow will be asked to skip a hole, and if they refuse their golfing privileges are suspended for a time. But then you are turning the ambassadors into golf course Nazis......and for some of them, absolute power corrupts absolutely
Question, has anyone experienced an ambassador asking groups to speed up with their play? That is part of their job, correct?
Old 02-17-2022, 06:09 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
Question, has anyone experienced an ambassador asking groups to speed up with their play? That is part of their job, correct?
I've had an Ambass say they told a group to speed up, but not experienced.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman1951 View Post
Pee break!!
Burger 🍔 and beer 🍺 break.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:52 PM
Default Some History

In the old days, ambassadors used to be called Golf Course Rangers, as time passed and more fights broke out at golf courses they quieted that name down to Players Assistance or even Ambassadors, less threatening. They will tell players to speed up when those players are not playing within the 2 hour guideline. If they are, figured out by their starting time and the color of their cart, they leave them alone. Regardless of the people behind them that are pushing faster than the 2 hour time mark. It also explains not letting players thru as this would mess up the book keeping of who is who. Golfers have to be kept out of control of the control mechanism. The inmates cannot rule the asylum. Its a perfect system unlike most courses, let the 2 hours be your guideline and you can chill and focus more on your game and if you didn't give yourself those 2 foot putts you wouldn't play so fast. I have had ambassadors tell us to slow down, we did, and I have seen them tell others to speed up. 9 holes every 2 hours, it is so perfect....
maybe thats what's bothering everyone!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
Closed Thread

Tags
wait, pace, tee, holes, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.