Pace of play on Championship courses?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,503 Posts

Let's see. Average time to play 18 holes for a foursome =250 minutes. Rounding up from 13.8888889 to 14 minutes per hole includes travel to the hole.
Time clock at each tee records start time. Foursome has 14 minutes to finish the hole or pick up their balls and move on to next hole when siren sounds "time is up".
Score on hole not completed is DNF. Failure to comply to time constraints means all in foursome banned from the course for 1 year.

Eliminates backups, waiting, slow play, griping about other golfers (maybe) and pace of play. Also eliminates camaraderie, time to converse with fellow golfers, fun, enjoyment, etc.

Streamline the game and make the courses more efficient.

😏
Old 02-28-2022, 10:02 AM

But don't the championship courses schedule a foursome every eight minutes?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
But don't the championship courses schedule a foursome every eight minutes?
Guess they INTENTIONALLY want to push the players by having one foursome stepping on the heals of the one before them. Guess a foursome that walks the course won't be allowed. Since the pros/champions walk the course, the concept of a championship course is a misnomer.
My post was to (tongue in cheek) suggest a possible way to avoid the backups. To make the game more like an assembly line, where all players must move at the same speed or keep up at the cost of a DNF on their score card. Golf should be enjoyable, but there sure seem to be some grumpy golfers. Makes one wonder why they play if it only frustrates them.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:52 PM

If it's any consolation, we do get an extra minute(nine) between groups on the executive courses.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
If it's any consolation, we do get an extra minute(nine) between groups on the executive courses.
We use that up and more hitting all of our mulligans.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Default Some players are naturally slow.

I play two to three times a week in a group of 16 to 24. We have a couple players who slow the entire group down simply because they sit in their cart until it's their turn to hit, then they get their yardage for their shot, then they take three or four practice swings, step back and then line up for two more practice swings and then hit their shot. Then they clean their club and replace it in their bag. We have told them to clean and replace when the cart stops again but they prefer not to do that. This is their routine which drives the rest of us nuts. We put these people in the last group and reprimand them for their slow play when they finish 20 to 30 minutes behind the group in front of them but that doesn't help. We tell them to not lose sight of the group in front of them but they ultimately do. They don't think they play slow but the proof is in the finish. If all groups would try to keep the group in front of them in sight, we would not have this problem. Also, starters should NOT push us off early only to have us wait on every hole. If we have a 9:20 tee time, we should tee off at 9:20.

😏[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2022, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ll649 View Post
I play two to three times a week in a group of 16 to 24. We have a couple players who slow the entire group down simply because they sit in their cart until it's their turn to hit, then they get their yardage for their shot, then they take three or four practice swings, step back and then line up for two more practice swings and then hit their shot. Then they clean their club and replace it in their bag. We have told them to clean and replace when the cart stops again but they prefer not to do that. This is their routine which drives the rest of us nuts. We put these people in the last group and reprimand them for their slow play when they finish 20 to 30 minutes behind the group in front of them but that doesn't help. We tell them to not lose sight of the group in front of them but they ultimately do. They don't think they play slow but the proof is in the finish. If all groups would try to keep the group in front of them in sight, we would not have this problem. Also, starters should NOT push us off early only to have us wait on every hole. If we have a 9:20 tee time, we should tee off at 9:20.

😏
[/QUOTE]
These people sound arrogant and self-centered. Why don't you remove them from the group if they won't follow your suggestions? They're not only bothering your group, they are bothering the groups behind them.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Complaining about something being slow in the Villages seems a bit ironic. You would think that folks never heard of old people and their "senior moments."
Kind of like when someone in front of me in the grocery store apologizes for being slow or just taking too long to make a decision on a purchase. I just respond "don't worry about it, I'm retired. I have plenty of time."
Chill.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,075 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ll649 View Post
Also, starters should NOT push us off early only to have us wait on every hole. If we have a 9:20 tee time, we should tee off at 9:20.

😏
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, I hate showing up at the starter shack 15 minutes before the scheduled t time, be told to hurry up because I am late, have to unnecessarily rush out before the scheduled time, then wait for a couple groups at the turn. Why can’t they understand that a scheduled t time starts at the scheduled time. I have found the starters at Cane Garden to be especially bad at telling time.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage

Totally agree, I hate showing up at the starter shack 15 minutes before the scheduled t time, be told to hurry up because I am late, have to unnecessarily rush out before the scheduled time, then wait for a couple groups at the turn. Why can’t they understand that a scheduled t time starts at the scheduled time. I have found the starters at Cane Garden to be especially bad at telling time.[/QUOTE]

Trying to understand the starters perspective. Since the tee time is, for example, 8:00 a.m., how long to check in and walk/drive to the tee, determine who goes first, actually tee up and hit the first ball? 1, 5, 10, 15 minutes?? Just asking. Never took my buddy and me more than 5.
Closed Thread

Tags
wait, pace, tee, holes, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.