Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I keep yelling at my ball to stay out of the rough and water but for some reason it never listens.

Draw bigger ears on your balls.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
According to the supervisor, it's already mapped and will be available on golf buddy(and I assume all other systems) Friday. I put my score in GHIN and they have the course rated and sloped from all tees.
I hope it wasn't the same raters (or equivalent) who rated our other championship courses. Those ratings (both slope and rating) are out of line.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Great use of land close to the turnpike!
Old 11-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Default Played Southern Oaks yesterday

Our foursome, two couples, played the course yesterday. We decided to play it as a best ball foursome to both speed up our play and learn the course using our best shots. The good news is that as a foursome, we shot a two over 74. We felt guilty taking divots on the new and immature fairways, especially since the course did not have sand available for our sand bottles. As stated before, the rough is very fluffy and if you can find your ball, which usually is buried in the fluff, it’s a challenge to get a clean hit out of it. They have mowed the fairways thin and a long distance from the tees. I would suspect that eventually the fairways will be widened and brought closer to the tees. The greens are very mature, fast and challenging. There are more undulations than what you see from above in Don Wiley’s drone footage. As a group our overall impression is that we welcome the opportunity to play this course as part of our regular rotation. And when the new bridge is open across the turnpike, this course will go from being 35 minutes away to 10 minutes away.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts
Default Rough/noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Pretty harsh. It is a new course. Agree long rough was very tough but will probably be shortened with time. Some holes very wet in front of the green making it hard to roll on. Pay attention to where the middle of the fairway is on your drive as the holes have minor doglegs. It will get easier when it firms up with traffic and less watering. For now expect to be penalized for being in bunker or rough more than other courses. You don't have to wind thru streets or houses but turnpike not far away on some holes.
Will play it soon. My guess is they kept the rough long until the course matures a bit more. Maybe because of basketball I have always thought noise as such, while I was playing golf, was overrated as a distraction.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishjeff View Post
Our foursome, two couples, played the course yesterday. We decided to play it as a best ball foursome to both speed up our play and learn the course using our best shots. The good news is that as a foursome, we shot a two over 74. We felt guilty taking divots on the new and immature fairways, especially since the course did not have sand available for our sand bottles. As stated before, the rough is very fluffy and if you can find your ball, which usually is buried in the fluff, it’s a challenge to get a clean hit out of it. They have mowed the fairways thin and a long distance from the tees. I would suspect that eventually the fairways will be widened and brought closer to the tees. The greens are very mature, fast and challenging. There are more undulations than what you see from above in Don Wiley’s drone footage. As a group our overall impression is that we welcome the opportunity to play this course as part of our regular rotation. And when the new bridge is open across the turnpike, this course will go from being 35 minutes away to 10 minutes away.
Just one correction----there was a sandbox on both 1 and 10, plus the ambassador has sand
Old 11-16-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
There are already 5 executive courses(more to come), (now)1 championship course, and a pitch & putt course with another being built now. If ......
Don't forget the Putt-Putt!
Old 11-16-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I hope it wasn't the same raters (or equivalent) who rated our other championship courses. Those ratings (both slope and rating) are out of line.
I've played golf for 52 years, in years gone by at a fairly high amateur level, but I have absolutely no expertise in determining a course rating or slope. Do you? Or are you just babbling?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:45 PM

Played Southern Oaks today. Nice course IMO. Narrower fairways and longer rough put a premium on hitting the fairway. I like the force carry to carry the taller grass to make the fairway. The greens were excellent rolling smooth and true. I also liked the undulating greens, not drastic but challenging. Back nine needs a bit more time to fully mature but in good condition. Front 9 was excellent. I think most all would enjoy this course.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

I haven’t played it but a friend did. He liked the course but said noise from the turnpike was annoying and took away from an otherwise enjoyable round.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
People who love golf should have thought twice living south of 44.
Why?!?! When the Southern Oaks bridge is finished there will be 3 more championships, 5 more executives and another driving range.

So again, why the statement?
Old 11-17-2021, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Why?!?! When the Southern Oaks bridge is finished there will be 3 more championships, 5 more executives and another driving range.

So again, why the statement?
Well, it will be more than a few years before any of that is completed...

That matters to some, and not a whit to others...

Why so many people are insecure about where they live is astounding...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-17-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=kcrazorbackfan;2030512]Why?!?! When the Southern Oaks bridge is finished there will be 3 more championships, 5 more executives and another driving range.

Thanks. I knew about one executive coming but not about the others. Helpful response
Old 11-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
There is a group that rates all the courses. Yes it is the same, guys who have been together for many years, and taken qualified rating classes. Maybe you attended ratings classes with them.

You can read an article about the group online in the Sun. It was recent prior to course opening
Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I've played golf for 52 years, in years gone by at a fairly high amateur level, but I have absolutely no expertise in determining a course rating or slope. Do you? Or are you just babbling?
Not babbling any more than you often do, but as a high level amateur I'd expect you could care less about the ratings and slope. And I am not particularly concerned about the rating. However the slope, which supposedly concerns the bogie golfer is a concern. The slopes here are too low. It seems as if the slope ratings have been determined by scratch golfers. I've held off participating in Men's Day, because comparable and/or better golfers had handicaps 4/5 higher than mine; but that will change. One more round will remove my last score being used from up north. My scores have been similar to the scores I brought down with me, however my handicap has already gone up by 4. Thank you course raters.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.