Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2021, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Played it today. Obviously the course is immature, but hardly "bland". IMHO, the rough is overly punitive, there are many lies from which I couldn't get any kind of decent contact, and a ball that hits that rough will roll about 2 yards. It is relatively short--I played the blue tees which were barely over 6,000 yds., the golds are about 6,500, there are no blacks, and the whites are only 5,550. Similar to playing Pensacola to Destin at Bonifay, there are 6 par 3's, 6 4's and 6 5's. For a course that just opened, the greens were in pretty good shape and there is plenty of contour. The turnpike is a non-issue. I'll be back. Best advice---don't hit it into the rough
Thanks for the review, I like the same amount of par 3, 4, and 5’s. Deep Bermuda rough is always very nasty, I wish we could play summer fairways with winter rough year round.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:49 AM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Played it today. Obviously the course is immature, but hardly "bland". IMHO, the rough is overly punitive, there are many lies from which I couldn't get any kind of decent contact, and a ball that hits that rough will roll about 2 yards. It is relatively short--I played the blue tees which were barely over 6,000 yds., the golds are about 6,500, there are no blacks, and the whites are only 5,550. Similar to playing Pensacola to Destin at Bonifay, there are 6 par 3's, 6 4's and 6 5's. For a course that just opened, the greens were in pretty good shape and there is plenty of contour. The turnpike is a non-issue. I'll be back. Best advice---don't hit it into the rough
I keep yelling at my ball to stay out of the rough and water but for some reason it never listens.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't suppose this course will be in the databases of GPS range finders anytime soon.
Hope I'll get paired with a laser range finder player.
According to the supervisor, it's already mapped and will be available on golf buddy(and I assume all other systems) Friday. I put my score in GHIN and they have the course rated and sloped from all tees.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
Looking forward to playing it. Thanks for the warning on the roughs.

At least it is not another dang Pitch & Putt. Need more executive & championship courses south of 44.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post

At least it is not another dang Pitch & Putt. Need more executive & championship courses south of 44.
I find hybrid irons are great for getting out of that cabbage. I carry a 4 & 5 hybrid... Much easier to hit than the regular irons...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-15-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Southern Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
Pretty harsh. It is a new course. Agree long rough was very tough but will probably be shortened with time. Some holes very wet in front of the green making it hard to roll on. Pay attention to where the middle of the fairway is on your drive as the holes have minor doglegs. It will get easier when it firms up with traffic and less watering. For now expect to be penalized for being in bunker or rough more than other courses. You don't have to wind thru streets or houses but turnpike not far away on some holes.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Gold member

Those homes are going to get pelted with golf balls. Bad way to meet new people.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:58 AM
Gold member

People who love golf should have thought twice living south of 44.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

I was invited to play a free “preview “ round last Friday along with my guest. I was disappointed that the “preview” was only nine holes !

That said , I totally disagree with the OP ! The layout is very nice and the course has a lot of character.

Greens were in great shape as was the rest of the course (generally). Difficulty level , as with any course, will vary according to the tee box you choose to play from .

The OP is entitled to his opinion but don’t let his comments dissuade you from wanting to play the course whereby you will form your own opinions !!!
Old 11-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Those homes are going to get pelted with golf balls. Bad way to meet new people.
All of the championship courses have holes where you can meet new people with an errant shot……not that unusual.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Southern Oaks parking

Gold Wing's fly-over shows what looks like a starter's shack instead of a pro shop. Is this correct?

Also, if one would come there by car, where is the parking and cart rental?

Looks like the course is open but not complete as far as convenience and necessities go.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Doesn't listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I keep yelling at my ball to stay out of the rough and water but for some reason it never listens.

Unless you're playing a Titleist, your ball only understands Korean.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
People who love golf should have thought twice living south of 44.
I live south off 44 and love golf. I golf all the time, in and out of the villages.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Gold Wing's fly-over shows what looks like a starter's shack instead of a pro shop. Is this correct?

Also, if one would come there by car, where is the parking and cart rental?

Looks like the course is open but not complete as far as convenience and necessities go.
Pro shop to be ready in a couple of months in the Market building across the street; pay your fees at the starter shack. Cart rental is in the parking lot adjacent to the new putting course.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:00 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post

There are already 5 executive courses(more to come), (now)1 championship course, and a pitch & putt course with another being built now. If that's not enough you can get in your golf cart and go above 44. I do that to play the courses south of 44...

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.