WARNING- Palmer greens top-seeded

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2021, 07:14 PM
Default WARNING- Palmer greens top-seeded

Played Palmer, Riley to Cherry Hill on Thursday, Jan 14. Greens have been top-seeded (think that is the proper term) with sand all over them. I cannot find notice of this anywhere on GOLF THE VILLAGES but maybe I am not looking in the right place. Anyway I would avoid Palmer until greens have a chance to recover.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Played Palmer, Riley to Cherry Hill on Thursday, Jan 14. Greens have been top-seeded (think that is the proper term) with sand all over them. I cannot find notice of this anywhere on GOLF THE VILLAGES but maybe I am not looking in the right place. Anyway I would avoid Palmer until greens have a chance to recover.
Most all of the greens now are getting “top-dressed”.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:28 AM

Top dressing is proper maintenance of the greens. If done properly it will work it's way into the soil in a matter of days.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

They should have top dressed greens rate
Old 01-16-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Played yesterday....that was not "top-seeded".......is was top dressed, a fine dusting of the greens, not detremental to play and will disappear with in a day or so. The greens played a little slow but I don't think ti was due to the top dressing, instead to a little longer cutting (probably to help maintain the green during the slow growing season).
Old 01-17-2021, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't recall seeing green top dressed with out being aerified as much as I see it here in The Villages. It seems that they top dress a lot to cover up bare spots.

Aerifying reduces compaction which allows water and nutrients to get to the roots. It also prevents the roots from being squashed. But removing compacted soil and organic material and replacing it with sand more space is created below the surface. Top dressing without aerifying only adds material. One the sand is absorbed, it may smooth the surface a bit but I don't understand how it helps the plants.

IMHO, green fees should be reduced when greens are aerified, top dressed or there are temporary greens.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't recall seeing green top dressed with out being aerified as much as I see it here in The Villages. It seems that they top dress a lot to cover up bare spots.

Aerifying reduces compaction which allows water and nutrients to get to the roots. It also prevents the roots from being squashed. But removing compacted soil and organic material and replacing it with sand more space is created below the surface. Top dressing without aerifying only adds material. One the sand is absorbed, it may smooth the surface a bit but I don't understand how it helps the plants.

IMHO, green fees should be reduced when greens are aerified, top dressed or there are temporary greens.
I’m sure Golf Admin. would love to hear your suggestions; 352-753-3396. Let everyone know when they can expect the lower rates.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I’m sure Golf Admin. would love to hear your suggestions; 352-753-3396. Let everyone know when they can expect the lower rates.
I'm sure that they wouldn't and will never lower rates.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sure that they wouldn't and will never lower rates.
Probably not. I’ve been off the reservation a few times this winter and played; the places I’ve been to, the prices may be a few dollars lower but the courses are really no better than what we have here.

Tags
greens, palmer, top-seeded, warning-, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.