Feeling a little down

Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Feeling a little down

Today is the 5th anniversary of my fathers passing and about a week and a half ago was my mothers 13 anniversary! Needless to say I'm feeling a little down because of it. They may be gone but I'll never forget. Here is a picture of my parents taken shortly after WWII and before they married.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	parents(s).jpg
Views:	625
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	34818  
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Sage

Nice looking couple. I know you miss them on this day. Clearly they left you with some wonderful memories. Would you mind sharing them with us? I think we would all enjoy meeting them.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Never a day goes by that I don't think of my Dad. He's been gone since 1987. Yeah he died young, in fact he was the same age as I am now.

It may sound weird, but I try to not focus each year on the day he passed, every day's memory is special to me.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Sage
Default Chin up

What a great looking couple. I also have a picture of my parents much like this. I sure wish, as adults, we had more time with our parents. We just don't realize how wonderful they really are until we are older and unfortunately they are older too. We can only cherish the fond memories. Smiles to you.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Nice looking couple. I know you miss them on this day. Clearly they left you with some wonderful memories. Would you mind sharing them with us? I think we would all enjoy meeting them.
I don't thing people really want me to start telling stories here, but I will mention a few short ones.

My mother had a way of keeping me behaving when I was real young. One time we were crossing a bridge where I grew up. I was acting up and she threw one leg over the rail of the bridge and told me if I didn't behave she'd jump! It may have been a little overboard, (pun intended) but it did the job!

Another time when I was real young, my mother and her girlfriend took me on a train ride from Albany to New York City. We were entering onto a subway car and I was being, well slow for a better word for it. The two of them got in and the doors started to close before I made it in. I started screaming, and I mean screaming thinking I'd lose mom forever! A wonder I'm not still traumatized to this day!

Not so many memories about my father that are worth mentioning since he worked a 4-12 shift for years and I only got to see him when I came home from school for lunch. One thing about him is that he seemed to be able to find me whenever he wanted no matter how unlikely the chances were. On one day when my best friend Norm (who sadly happened to die last week) and I were young, we wanted something to do, so the bright idea of fishing came up!

To show how dumb we were as young kids, we decided to try fishing for the first time. We grabbed some long sticks and took some yarn or string to use as a line. We didn't know anything about bait at the time so we used short lengths of thick yarn as bait. Next we set out to find a spot where we couldn't be seen. Along came my dad looking for us in his car when he spotted our bikes and... surprise!

Now, here comes the really-really dumb part. We were trying to catch fish at the outlet of a storm or sewer drain! Boy, am I glad now that we didn't catch anything back then... like we really could with yarn for bait!

So there ya go! Hope it was worth reading.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Sage

I sort of regret not being to talk with my parents about the times they endured during the depression, and WWII. I asked but was always given a one sentence response. My uncle told me some stories about his war efforts, and other things that happened in my family, near the end of his 99 years.

Sadly, he and my aunt passed not even two years ago and are sorely missed.

Mom passed eight years ago, and I still miss her.

Here's hoping you will fondly remember the times you had together. As we get older, I think we get sentimental, over the good old days.

Miss those seven course Italian dinners we had, when everyone was together.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Sage

What a handsome couple. I never cried at my father's funeral, I was too stunned. 8 years later I thought of him and cried for a week.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Gold member

Handsome couple indeed! Great memories you have of your parents!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Enjoyed the stories of your mom and dad!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Today is the 5th anniversary of my fathers passing and about a week and a half ago was my mothers 13 anniversary! Needless to say I'm feeling a little down because of it. They may be gone but I'll never forget. Here is a picture of my parents taken shortly after WWII and before they married.
Sorry that you're feeling down, and it's very understandable too I might add. Your parents' photo reminds me of mine, and that entire WWII generation to whom we owe so much. All we can do is enjoy the memories and pray/hope that we are all reunited at some point in eternity. My best wishes to you, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.