Sharing Thoughts of An Old Timer Battling Father Time

Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Sharing Thoughts of An Old Timer Battling Father Time

Thoughts of An Old Timer Battling Father Time
  • As for being over the hill, I can never recall reaching the top of the hill.
  • In the 4 seasons of life…Spring, Summer and Fall are long gone; I’m deep into old man Winter!
  • The only thing I can do 3 times a day is take pills.
  • I would lose the race if competing against the tortoise.
  • My hair has gone the way of the dinosaur.
  • I can recall the 3¢ stamp, 5¢ Coke and 25¢ gallon of gas.
  • Am I the only one still using a rotary telephone?
  • I keep rocking myself to sleep trying to get out of bed in the morning.
  • I have 44 years of experience at being 39!
  • I have more Senior moments than the Absent Minded Professor.
~ Ezio Mario Tozzi (11/8/1929 - 5/22/2013)

I chose this particular discussion group to make this post because it has both title elements for me personally. This is because the author, my uncle (my late mother's brother) who I felt very close to, passed away the day before yesterday at the age of 83. He had quite a sense of humor. My mother thought my humor was similar to his, which was evident in that she frequently called his name when she was addressing me.

The thoughts my uncle has listed here were published fairly recently in an Army related retiree's group which my uncle was Chaplain. The group was called the ASA Chitose Association and is a social group consisting of veterans that were at one time or another stationed in Japan and wanted to keep in touch following their service.

Those interested in reading more on Chitose may do so at ASA Chitose Association History Page
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

All great thoughts. I am a spry young 67 and I still remember the 3¢ stamp, the 5¢ coke, and driving across the border from NH to ME to buy gas for 20¢ a gallon vs 25¢ in NH. Five gallons for a $1.

The gas station I worked in at 12 years old had one of those coke machines with the rotary handle you pressed down to get the coke in a glass bottle for 5¢. 7 oz I think. Used to use the coke on the rust on the split ring to change truck tires. I remember how horrible it was when gas finally reached 33.3¢ a gallon. 3 gallons for a $1. What was happening to the world?

And when stamps went to 4¢ that was a 33% increase. I refused to use the mail anymore.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The gas station I worked in at 12 years old had one of those coke machines with the rotary handle you pressed down to get the coke in a glass bottle for 5¢. 7 oz I think.
My memory says the glass bottle of Coke was 6 oz. Hence the Pepsi commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRceIelAB3s
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
My memory says the glass bottle of Coke was 6 oz. Hence the Pepsi commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRceIelAB3s
I wish they still made 6-oz Cokes. 8 oz is more than I want
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post

I chose this particular discussion group to make this post because it has both title elements for me personally. This is because the author, my uncle (my late mother's brother) who I felt very close to, passed away the day before yesterday at the age of 83. He had quite a sense of humor. My mother thought my humor was similar to his, which was evident in that she frequently called his name when she was addressing me.

The thoughts my uncle has listed here were published fairly recently in an Army related retiree's group which my uncle was Chaplain. The group was called the ASA Chitose Association and is a social group consisting of veterans that were at one time or another stationed in Japan and wanted to keep in touch following their service.

Those interested in reading more on Chitose may do so at ASA Chitose Association History Page
How fortunate that you had him in your experience. What a gift he was to you and you must have been a delight to him I am sure. You come from good stock, my friend.
May your beloved Uncle be at rest and peace in his job well done.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.