too old?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Default too old?

Do you think 74 and 73 are too old to relocate to TV?
I wonder because at our ages we are somewhat (he is very) handicapped and now I am having doubts about whether we would fit in well with the seemingly younger retirees. We are really nice people.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Platinum member

TV is a friendly, helpful place where, if you are nice people as you say, you will make many friends in no time. And you will be amazed and heartened that those same folks will extend themselves selflessly to you regardless of what you need. Also, TV now has Freedom Pointe, independent living condos if handicapping conditions make it too difficult to take care of your home, and the Homewood assisted living center which is building a large addition.

So don't let worries about your future deprive you of some wonderful times living in TV with wonderful people. Come join us!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Sage

SunnyMaryAnn,

Being nice people is the only requirement for moving to TV. It does not matter if you are handicapped in any way. We are all handicapped in some way,that does not matter at all.

A little bird told me your a sweetheart and you would be welcomed here with open arms. Most people in The Villages are warm, loving and accepting! Thats what makes" The Villages" such a great place to retire to.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
Do you think 74 and 73 are too old to relocate to TV? I wonder because at our ages we are somewhat (he is very) handicapped and now I am having doubts about whether we would fit in well with the seemingly younger retirees. We are really nice people.
You will feel very welcome in TV. It is obvious that you are interesting and have a great attitude. The Villages is all about friendliness and attitude, not about age.

The bungalow homes are very easy to negotiate with wheel chairs and walkers. Most places do not have stairs. Golf carts are very easy to use and to navigate around for shopping and for medical appointments.

I think Talk of The Villages Website can be a bit misleading as there are many younger newbies and wannabees. Don't get me wrong, that is wonderful. But you will find that most of the existing communities have residents of many ages. On my street we have several families in their 80s.

YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD TO RELOCATE TO TV!!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
Do you think 74 and 73 are too old to relocate to TV?
I wonder because at our ages we are somewhat (he is very) handicapped and now I am having doubts about whether we would fit in well with the seemingly younger retirees. We are really nice people.
SUNNYMARYANN, we are snowbirds primarily because of our extensive community volunteer activities we are involved with in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York State (one of which is where my avatar comes from). A group of us were involved in creating a Lifetime Learning Institute at a local college, and I volunteer to do the composition for, among other things, the college catalog. After completing it (from here, I might add), one of my fellow volunteers contacted me to let me know that she wanted to deliver a copy to me in person. "Sure!" I said.

It turns out that she and her husband were coming to spend a week here in TV visiting his mother, who is NINETY YEARS OLD and LIVES ON HER OWN close to Spanish Springs town center. The three of them came to visit us bringing the catalog and a gift from the organization, and I was awed and charmed by this elderly woman (not that I'm such a kid myself...) who lives alone and partakes in whatever activities she is able to enjoy at her age, clearly relishing the lifestyle and having made a wonderful circle of friends who are all supportive of one another.

Rest assured the same would hold true for you!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Sage

x

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-13-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Sage

Senior Citizen,

I love your response and you are so right on about everything. TheVillages is not the fountain of youth but certainly makes you feel younger and more alive.

I am one of those who tried clogging thinking I am still a kid, but I can honestly tell you that some mornings I cant even move for the first hour out of bed because I was clogging the night before. The reality is that you do feel younger when your here and the mind is willing but the body may be lweak!!! BE CAREFUL! LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Once you move here, your only regret will be that you did not discover The Villages sooner. That mystical Floridian fountain sprinkles everyone with its magical waters and our lives assume a different pace.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think The Villages only has one true rule -- be a nice person. Grumps and meanies have a tendency to quickly fall by the wayside and eventually leave. Otherwise, your age, religion, color really don't matter. Heck, you can even get away with being a diehard liberal here (not easy, but doable).

Age really is a state of mind. I am the "baby" with my Mah-Jongg group -- the oldest being in her mid-80s and most being in their 70s (there's around 20 of us, 12 getting together at any one time). I'm an avid bridge player, the age range there is from early 50s to Irene who is 88. There may even be a few older players, but I'm not sure.

TOTV I think is really younger than most villagers because we're in the early stages of either dreaming of retirement or just started this life's journey. The newer villages probably have more younger people but there will still be a mix there as well. The established villages will have more of a mix. The historic side will probably have the greatest disparity in ages -- those who bought here originally (some even pre-Schwartz) to those who only want to make a small investment now with the plans to move up in the future.

Come down and visit for a month and see what you think. I'm sure you will find that your age, handicaps (real or perceived), even your income will be irrelevant to most of us. What matters is how you treat people, how you feel about yourself, what joy you get out of life. That's what TV is all about.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Sage

x

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Veteran member
Talking I love this thread !

I'm a 70-year-old TV Wannabee who sometimes feel intimidated by all the talk about TV's active lifestyle

With a bad back and bad knees, I'm limited in running/dancing/hiking/jumping..... but there appears to be so many other options for the "good life" available in TV, that I'm confident that it will be my first option when my time comes

YES, sunnymaryann......I do think we will fit-in with the TV lifestyle, I have no doubts about it. But.... what to do in the summer heat? I will have to figure that out when I'm there

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 04-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Sage

x

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-13-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Default seniorcitizen...........

Are you really from Coney Island, New York? My dad who was born in Manhattan, used to take us there as children........from New Jersey.

YES, seniorcitizen...... I was born in Coney Island - my parents moved away from there when I was around 4 years old. Then in my very early teens my girlfriend and I used to skip school and go to Coney Island for the day. Those were some fun times !!! I'd love to visit CI again but I imagine it has changed in the last 55 years since I was there
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Well that does it! You all have me convinced that we would fit in well. Actually we moved to Lousiana from Mexico Beach Florida thirty days prior to Katrina which flooded our new home. We had lived in Florida ten years and also were stationed at Tyndall AF Base for three years so we are very well acquainted with the summer heat and humidity. I miss that emerald green water and white sand beach but not the hurricanes.

We had a pretty active social life there and some of our friends are already in The Villages in Hemingway just waiting for us old foggies to get this house sold. As I sit here the Pearl River is flooding only a mile away and if we dont take on water that will be a good selling point !

I dont have knee problems cause mine are shiney titanium steel and great. My feet belong to my grandma and I have my moms face and my Aunt Helen's butt but the rest of me is genuine. Well, not the teeth or hearing aid or glasses or hair color etc. You know what I mean.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Sage

x

Last edited by senior citizen; 04-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.