Trapping alligators

Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I read the article in the ************* and I'm still unclear on why the FWC pulled the trapping permit from Villages management. Was it first permitted under false pretensise?
The permit was pulled at the request of The Villages. There were many many complaints about the trapping from Villagers. There had been only one complaint about the gators from a resident who called FWC in spite of the fact that there had not been an incident.

You can't move to Florida and subsequently try to make it over in the image of where you transplanted from. I never fail to be confounded at the number of Villages residents who must have moved here with their eyes closed. No understanding whatsoever of weather, bugs, wildlife, traffic, prices, rules, laws, food, etc.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
The permit was pulled at the request of The Villages. There were many many complaints about the trapping from Villagers. There had been only one complaint about the gators from a resident who called FWC in spite of the fact that there had not been an incident.

You can't move to Florida and subsequently try to make it over in the image of where you transplanted from. I never fail to be confounded at the number of Villages residents who must have moved here with their eyes closed. No understanding whatsoever of weather, bugs, wildlife, traffic, prices, rules, laws, food, etc.
Wait till a Villager's holy dog on a leash gets dragged into a pond and warehoused underwater till it rots enough for the gator to tear it apart and eat it. THEN their tune will change about the innocent, "harmless" gators who were here first.

If they were extinct it would be a different story. But 1.3 million of them is plenty.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post

Amen
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Wait till a Villager's holy dog on a leash gets dragged into a pond and warehoused underwater till it rots enough for the gator to tear it apart and eat it. THEN their tune will change about the innocent, "harmless" gators who were here first.

If they were extinct it would be a different story. But 1.3 million of them is plenty.
As I recall, the only "Villager's holy dog" attacked by an alligator was running loose, not on a leash.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
As I recall, the only "Villager's holy dog" attacked by an alligator was running loose, not on a leash.
The dog can be grabbed by a gator while on a leash extended out, just as well as if running loose in its own yard (which was the case with the one that was grabbed and the owner wrestled it free).
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
The dog can be grabbed by a gator while on a leash extended out, just as well as if running loose in its own yard (which was the case with the one that was grabbed and the owner wrestled it free).
My point was I've never heard of a TV dog on a leash being grabbed by a gator, but whatever.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Total .

Get your facts straight.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default An article about this discussion from Orlando Sentinel

Villages man saves dog: Villages grandfather saves dog from jaws of gator - Orlando Sentinel
Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueclark View Post
Relocating is fine, if they are harming people. Rumor has it, they are being trapped for no good reason, and being killed. That is NOT ok.
Quote:
There are lots of rumors running around in TV. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation doesn't operate based on rumors.
It has been reported in the media that Florida Conservation has instructed its' trappers to cease operations. Perhaps Sue's rumor was correct!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 AM
Sage

Nuisance bad.
Alligator in pond good.

Wanting to rid the Villages of all gaters because just maybe someone will let there pooch or grandchild stand on the edge of a lake, Really.

My point is, too wipe out any species from this natural habitat is selfish, not protective. If a full grown alligator bites someone while they are dancing in one of the squares that is a problem. Have we had any gater attacks on dogs while they were at any of the DOG parks? You can't protect all people from their own stupidity.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Nuisance bad.
Alligator in pond good.

Wanting to rid the Villages of all gaters because just maybe someone will let there pooch or grandchild stand on the edge of a lake, Really.

My point is, too wipe out any species from this natural habitat is selfish, not protective. If a full grown alligator bites someone while they are dancing in one of the squares that is a problem. Have we had any gater attacks on dogs while they were at any of the DOG parks? You can't protect all people from their own stupidity.
I bet a dancing gator at one of the squres will clear it out but you never know. Some may be to trashed to notice. Will the band play Crocidile Rock?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Nuisance bad.
Alligator in pond good.

The statement in bold/amber color above illustrates the misconceptions. Nobody wants "to rid The Villages of ALL gators". The ones that have lost their fear of humans and who are overpopulating in given lakes/ponds are the problem. Literally dozens of gators were removed from Lake Sumter in the last year, and there are still plenty left to breed and multiply.

And, as the FWC Nuisance Gator web page states, relocating them does not work because each gator community has its territory staked out and they don't accept foreigners.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
The statement in bold/amber color above illustrates the misconceptions. Nobody wants "to rid The Villages of ALL gators". The ones that have lost their fear of humans and who are overpopulating in given lakes/ponds are the problem. Literally dozens of gators were removed from Lake Sumter in the last year, and there are still plenty left to breed and multiply.

And, as the FWC Nuisance Gator web page states, relocating them does not work because each gator community has its territory staked out and they don't accept foreigners.
We had three about three feet long in a pod near us . The trappers came in and put large triple hooks with chicken meat. The had the hook and bait floating on a piece of an old cooler. Then the line is tied to a tree. Overnight the gater is hooked and they come back in the morning and away they go. Nuisance gaters my butt.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Don't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It has been reported in the media that Florida Conservation has instructed its' trappers to cease operations. Perhaps Sue's rumor was correct!
I did a web browser search and could find nothing to confirm this, even on the FF&WC web site.

Do you have a source for the media report?

I frankly don't believe it. (Not that I don't believe you. I don't believe the alleged report.)

What would then happen if a gator ate a child? Just ignore it?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I did a web browser search and could find nothing to confirm this, even on the FF&WC web site.

Do you have a source for the media report?

I frankly don't believe it. (Not that I don't believe you. I don't believe the alleged report.)

What would then happen if a gator ate a child? Just ignore it?

Carl, I thought it was reported in the online villages newspaper that the Villages had called off the trappers because there was no actual incident, and many had complained to TV about the trapping.

Whether the FF&WC was involved in calling it off, I don't know.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.