Trapping alligators

Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Wrong - cows, sheep, and pigs are farm animals raised to be human food. Alligators, for the most part, are not domesticated farm animals but wild animals trying to survive.

The local restaurants selling alligator meat do that mainly as a tourist thing.
Let's see.........

You think we eat only domesticated farm animals?

People also eat Ostrich and make clothing accessories from their hides.
The same for deer, elk, moose, caribou, bear and buffalo.
We also eat, and use their feathers for decoration, ducks, geese, and a variety of other waterfowl as well as dove and quail.
Ah, you say, but these are all game animals.

In Florida there is a hunting season and hunting permits are required for taking alligators. It's not all about nuisance gators.

Similarly, in Louisiana there is a hunting season for commercial hunters who can get permits to kill and market over a hundred gators apiece.

Here in Florida hunters who take game animals are not permitted to sell their harvest for food in restaurants. Gator is an exception. This restriction does not apply everywhere.

That's why I could eat reindeer sausage in Alaska, and venison at a mountain lodge in Oregon.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM

Relocating is fine, if they are harming people. Rumor has it, they are being trapped for no good reason, and being killed. That is NOT ok.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueclark View Post
Relocating is fine, if they are harming people. Rumor has it, they are being trapped for no good reason, and being killed. That is NOT ok.
There are lots of rumors running around in TV. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation doesn't operate based on rumors.
Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?

Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator..."
Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

It is far better than having a small child killed for no good reason by a wild animal. They are protecting us, be it an abundance of caution.

A gentleman in Bridgeport at Lake Sumter saved his dog from an alligator attack just last year. It really can happen. Beautiful children and beautiful dogs are prey for them.
The Villages Florida

Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Platinum member
Smile Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
There are lots of rumors running around in TV. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation doesn't operate based on rumors.
Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?

Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator..."
Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program

AND....... they taste good.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Wrong - cows, sheep, and pigs are farm animals raised to be human food. Alligators, for the most part, are not domesticated farm animals but wild animals trying to survive.

The local restaurants selling alligator meat do that mainly as a tourist thing.
How about fish? I know that some are raised in farms, but I think that most are caught in the oceans. Do you eat the Filet of Fish at McDonalds? That is made from pollock caught in Alaska. Why is it OK to kill fish and not alligators?
Why is it OK to set mousetraps in our homes or to kill cockroaches but not alligators.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is far better than having a small child killed for no good reason by a wild animal. They are protecting us, be it an abundance of caution.

A gentleman in Bridgeport at Lake Sumter saved his dog from an alligator attack just last year. It really can happen. Beautiful children and beautiful dogs are prey for them.
The Villages Florida

Beautiful children and beautiful dogs are also prey to dogs in Florida. Go ahead and Google it. The amount of attorneys handling these cases far exceeds the number of alligator attacks.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran member
Default alligators

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
With tongue-in-cheek, here's a news report I'd like to see:

Nuisance Villagers removal effort planned

Using offers of free beer and Budweiser Clydesdale visits as bait, VCCD and local police authorities intend to round up, trap and remove Villagers exhibiting aggressive behavior. Villagers in question show no fear of driving drunk and without seat belts, talking loud, cutting in line, and other threatening kinds of conduct. Villagers saving dozens of chairs at a time for town-square events are also a concern, especially to potential buyers who can't find a place to sit. Authorities say aggressive, older Villagers will be relocated to memory care facilities. Those under age 55 will be fed to alligators that are an important part of the charm and ecology in the area.

And now for something completely sarcastic (credit TheOnion.com

Uncool Zookeeper Won't Let Anyone Ride Gorillas
BROOKFIELD, IL—Despite heartfelt pleas, Janice Petrone, a totally lame and uncool zookeeper at the Brookfield Zoo, repeatedly told a group of area sixth graders Monday that they were not allowed to ride on the backs of the western lowland gorillas.
"The silverback's natural instinct is to protect his troop," said Petrone, who has probably never taken a risk in her entire boring life. "He would beat his chest, bare his teeth, and then charge at you as soon as you entered the enclosure."
Petrone, a loser who hates fun, also told the kids they were not permitted to swim with the sharks, race the cheetahs, or punch the giraffes.
There is a pond around mira mesa area where neighbors complained about 4 8ft. alligators. Trapper was called in but some residents cut his bait lines twice and now the villages has told him not to trap. This according to the villages news.com
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

snipped pic
Gracie - If I am recalling the same event - didn't that resident have his dog out in his yard _*without_* a leash and the dog went to the water's edge while the resident was busy with some landscaping work in the yard and was not paying attention to the dog until he heard the dogs whelps?

Can't blame that on the gator if the resident violated the 'leash law' here and paid attention to his dog rather than his landscaping!

Responsibility and common sense would have gone a long way to avoid that situation!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Gracie - If I am recalling the same event - didn't that resident have his dog out in his yard _*without_* a leash and the dog went to the water's edge while the resident was busy with some landscaping work in the yard and was not paying attention to the dog until he heard the dogs whelps?

Can't blame that on the gator if the resident violated the 'leash law' here and paid attention to his dog rather than his landscaping!

Responsibility and common sense would have gone a long way to avoid that situation!

That is true. It is my own set of values Maria. I think of dogs as family members and alligators as wild animals that I feel no affection for. The dog owner was careless and then he put himself in harms way to do what he did.

I doubt if we would have many issues or problems of any sort if all people behaved with common sense and never drank and got a bit fuzzy, but they do. I think removing large gators is protecting us, stupid and unstupid, careful and careless. drunk or sober, animal lovers and non animal lovers. The alligators don't pay taxes..

I am acting from my own inner instincts and what I think is right or wrong and do not expect everyone to agree.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I read the article in the ************* and I'm still unclear on why the FWC pulled the trapping permit from Villages management. Was it first permitted under false pretensise?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
That is true. It is my own set of values Maria. I think of dogs as family members and alligators as wild animals that I feel no affection for. The dog owner was careless and then he put himself in harms way to do what he did.

I doubt if we would have many issues or problems of any sort if all people behaved with common sense and never drank and got a bit fuzzy, but they do. I think removing large gators is protecting us, stupid and unstupid, careful and careless. drunk or sober, animal lovers and non animal lovers. The alligators don't pay taxes..

I am acting from my own inner instincts and what I think is right or wrong and do not expect everyone to agree.
Amen to the highlighted text!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Heard on the news tonight that traps have been set for aligators, not for any good reason AT ALL, and then they are killed. IF, in fact, this is true, SHAME on anyone involved in this. First the buffalo, because people couldn't read the warning signs right on the fences!!! And now the aligators that are not bothering anyone. This is ridiculous, and criminal. What can we do to fix this?

This is an emotional issue. Gators can, at some point if the population grows large enough, kill and eat someone's grandkid or dog. Do you really want to see that happen?

Let the trappers do their job, remove the gator and yes kill it. Sorry about that but it's the most realistic solution.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation No gators as neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post

Sorry, but blame is not a factor in determining an alligator's status as a nuisance. The attack, no matter what the circumstances, was enough.

Further, I didn't think a dog had to be on a leash when in the yard of its owner. Doesn't matter anyway.

With 1.3 million alligators in Florida it is imperative that we not permit them to live in close proximity to humans. When they lose their fear of humans they become particularly dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	gators roadside.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	37549  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
How about fish? I know that some are raised in farms, but I think that most are caught in the oceans. Do you eat the Filet of Fish at McDonalds? That is made from pollock caught in Alaska. Why is it OK to kill fish and not alligators?
Why is it OK to set mousetraps in our homes or to kill cockroaches but not alligators.
Amen to that ... at some point, we need to apply common sense to this issue. Remove the gators.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.