We are finally coming down to puchase a home!!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default We are finally coming down to puchase a home!!!!!

We are leaving this Friday to travel to TV. We are going to buy a home while we are there. I have a few questions and I know I will get good advise here.

First, what are the pros and cons of Siding vs Stucco. We are leaning to Stucco but there are sure some cute homestyles in siding. What is needed for maintenance on each type. What are the drawbacks. I have heard there is a problem with siding. Does it still exist. I once got lactic acidosis and only had a 1/3 million chance of getting it. If I purchase siding, my house would probably be the one effected. IS this still an issue?

Since our friends are all south of 466 we will probably go that route. I thought it might be advantageous to stay close to Canal Street. Yes or no...or does it matter? Where is the New town square located. I am sure it is on here somewhere but can't seem to find it.

Is there anything I can't live without... or will be sorry I did? Golf cart garage or no? Anything I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance. If you see a short, pleasing but quite plump, medium blonde grinning from ear to ear this weekend and the next week, it will be me, Say HI. Sally

Last edited by SALYBOW; 05-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

We moved in to the Village of Bonita in January - into a vinyl sided home. I liked the looks of stucco, but the budget wouldn't expand that far! Our siding appears straight and well put up.
We feel we're centrally located - about 10 minutes to Lake Sumter for the music, 25 minutes to Walmart, and 10 minutes to 466A for food shopping (all times are by golf car).
The new town square is south on Buena Vista near SR 44- maybe 20 minutes by golf car????
We don't hava a GC Garage, but since we only have one car down here, it hasn't been a problem.
Good luck in your search - and I heard prices on new homes are going up as of May 18th.

mary ann
Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Sage

Congradulations and Good Luck.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Hi there Sal!

There was a problem with a bad lot of siding but it has all been removed and replaced. On a sided house you need to have it powerwashed once or twice a year for less than fifty dollars. Stucco houses need to be painted.

Brownwood Paddock is far from being done, but it looks like they are working on it. It is at what will be the southernmost part of The Villages, south of 466A. Not a single home has been built there yet, but the roads are in and they are working on the golf courses.

I wish I could be there to personally welcome you Salybow. My advice is to get as much room as you can afford. We did and now that we plan to live there full time we feel we need more. People have so many activities that they must have equipment for; golf, pickleball, art, guesting friends and family....space is important.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Platinum member
Default Ty ty ty

Thanks for the info. We Cincinnati Folk must think alike. I never thought about the painting aspect. It is comforting to lnow the siding issue has been corrected. That just expanded my horizons. Are you in West Chester or TV right now? Sally
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Smile we know how you feel!

We just moved here 4-4-10, rented for a month and will close on our new home on 5-6-10. Can't wait!! We looked at so many houses, both stucco and siding and ended up going with siding. It wasn't so much a choice between the two, as it just happened to be on the house we fell in love with!! It only took us four days to find it.

Good luck with the trip down here, finding a house and getting settled in! You'll love it here!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Stucco / Vinyl

I thought of the big bad wolf, I was able to buy stucco so I did. I have a Jasmine but we expanded everything including the garage. did not add golf cart garage but was able to add 4' on side plus 2' on the front. Very happy indeed.I think being near Canal is good it goes nort & south but doesn't go past the square on the North End. We like where we are because we're far enough away but close enough for everything. Do what your budget can afford. When you get here you'll find your spending way more time outside your home then inside including meals and get togethers. It's a real great lifestyle and a great place for your 2nd childhood. Don't stress just relax, do what you feel comfortable with and be happy with your decissions.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Sage

Salybow,

As others have mentioned, stucco is purdier, vinyl less expensive to buy and maintain-- no wrong choice. More home means more storage and room for company; less home means less upkeep and more time and $ for activities -- no wrong choice. Whether you choice the southside or northside, vinyl or stucco, premiere or cottage, you are still going to find yorself in Lower Paradise!

Gee, it's not hard to tell from your post to tell how excited you are. I'm excited for you and dfjcschaich and others on their way too.

All the very best to you!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjcschaich View Post
We just moved here 4-4-10, rented for a month and will close on our new home on 5-6-10. Can't wait!! We looked at so many houses, both stucco and siding and ended up going with siding. It wasn't so much a choice between the two, as it just happened to be on the house we fell in love with!! It only took us four days to find it.

Good luck with the trip down here, finding a house and getting settled in! You'll love it here!!!!!!
My congratulations to you. I too will be looking for a home in June. I'd love to talk with you to share this journey. There is so much to consider.
email me -pj477@comcast.net
Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Default We Did it. We are Villagers in training!!!!!!!

We did it. I am in an airplane flying home to Cincinnati to await the building of our new home. We signed a contract to build an Iris on Valley Oak St. in Buttonwood. Right now we own a large sandbox; but they promise that on July 23 we will be closing. I can't wait. Now for the real fun, deciding what we will need and disposing of the rest. It should be fun.
See you all in July!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

OMIGOSH. You did it. Now if we could get Boomer to do it. Let's see, so far from Cincinnati, we have us G's, Karen 83, F16, You, Wolf, no Hawk....and who else?

Salybow, I am so thrilled to hear this. An Iris is a LOVELY model and I hope you will love everyday in Buttonwood, the NEWEST Village of them all...right now.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-14-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
OMIGOSH. You did it. Now if we could get Boomer to do it. Let's see, so far from Cincinnati, we have us G's, Karen 83, F16, You, Wolf, no Hawk....and who else?

Salybow, I am so thrilled to hear this. An Iris is a LOVELY model and I hope you will love everyday in Buttonwood, the NEWEST Village of them all...right now.
Even I'm excited that there's another Cincinnitian on the way! Don't know what it is about Cincinnati, but I sure do love the Cinci TOTVers-- most especially the ones I've met!! (Truth be know, I aspire to be an Honorary TV Cincinnitian.)

So Salybow, I too am thrilled for you-- and us, that you are coming.

Now, if we could only get Boomer to do it!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Another couple from Cincinnati

Hey...don't forget us! We're from Cincinnati, too.

Except we're still TV wannabes, but we WILL be there!

Gene & Kathy
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Hey...don't forget us! We're from Cincinnati, too.

Except we're still TV wannabes, but we WILL be there!

Gene & Kathy
Gene & Kathy,

See what I mean, y'all? 'bout Cincinnitians.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Just curious......did you purchase a home?
We are coming down in 6 days to hopefully purchase a lot, house ? We did research in March. Today they opened some new models & changes to the models. I am so anxious to see them. We will be on the life syles for 6 nights.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.