Who do I call for hot water heater?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Default Who do I call for hot water heater?

I just moved into a CYV and I love it but the previous owners were snowbirds and the hot water heater I think was on low. I need to raise the temperature but it's an electric hot water heater and I don't see a knob. Who do I call to service this? Plumber? Electrician? .?? Any help would be appreciated..thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 PM

I would ask your neighbors. I'm sure many of their homes have a similar style hot water heater and would be more than happy to show you how to operate yours. Besides, it would help you to get to know them too and the price is right.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Depending on the size electric water heaters will have either one (for smaller) and two for large or capacity tanks, thermostats. They are usually behind a small door/panel held by one or two screws.
Remove the screws and move aside the insulation to expose the thermostat dial...some are very small and have a slot like the head of a screw to use a screw driver to turn the dial. If there are two panels, both thermostats need to be set.
The recommended setting is 140 degrees.
Be careful not to poke around other than the thermostat setting knob as the connection wires are nearby.....if you don't see them and only see the setting knob, you are safe.
Return the insulation like you found it.

Most handy man types can do this with no problems.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

As BTK said this is pretty easy. However, please turn off the hot water heater circuit breaker located in your electric panel before doing this.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
As BTK said this is pretty easy. However, please turn off the hot water heater circuit breaker located in your electric panel before doing this.
Suffering from TV envy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.