Did anyone watch this on HBO?

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Default Did anyone watch this on HBO?

Did anyone watch Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God? I am probably opening a can of worms but, as a Catholic, I found this very interesting, informative, and, at the same time, disgusting! Pope Benedict did not step down due to health reasons, he simply did not have the backbone to address the problems as did others. I am truly disgusted with the religion I have decided I no longer want to be a part of. So many issues were uncovered in this documentary and I do believe them to be true. I expect negative feedback but please watch this if it is aired again. Pedophilia is in the Catholic Church!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
Did anyone watch Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God? I am probably opening a can of worms but, as a Catholic, I found this very interesting, informative, and, at the same time, disgusting! Pope Benedict did not step down due to health reasons, he simply did not have the backbone to address the problems as did others. I am truly disgusted with the religion I have decided I no longer want to be a part of. So many issues were uncovered in this documentary and I do believe them to be true. I expect negative feedback but please watch this if it is aired again. Pedophilia is in the Catholic Church!
No disagreement about the repugnance of the known acts of depravity and traumas caused. But I'm not so sure HBO is trustworthy enough to conclude the last pope resigned for reasons other than those stated. I don't have faith in Hollywood, either.

(Later….) Am reading here about it:
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/mea...ex-gibney.html
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Let me start by saying I have not seen this documentary and probably never will.

I think a more logical sequence would be that having to deal with all the pedophilia issues caused Benedict's health to so seriously deteriorate that he was forced to step down. Sadly, I do believe that the majority of priests are good, honorable men but the bad seeds were protected far too long and for all the wrong reasons. It has hurt the Church in so many ways and I'm not sure it will ever recover (but, then, the Church has recovered from horrific politics, nepotism, the Crusades, the Inquisition and extreme anti-Semitism. It might recover from this as well).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Default Pbs

Here's a PBS/Frontline show on the same subject. Secrets of the Vatican | FRONTLINE | PBS
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Let me start by saying I have not seen this documentary and probably never will.

I think a more logical sequence would be that having to deal with all the pedophilia issues caused Benedict's health to so seriously deteriorate that he was forced to step down. Sadly, I do believe that the majority of priests are good, honorable men but the bad seeds were protected far too long and for all the wrong reasons. It has hurt the Church in so many ways and I'm not sure it will ever recover (but, then, the Church has recovered from horrific politics, nepotism, the Crusades, the Inquisition and extreme anti-Semitism. It might recover from this as well).
That sounds more logical. In my own experiences with fighting for more practical information accessible through libraries for survivors/victims of crimes I have had almost every dirty trick thrown at me since 1991 or so. The Catholic Church is not alone in doing incredibly unethical things to protect its status, privilege, and image. Nor is Penn State alone.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

to dismiss one's religion or anything else based on a media rating/political/agenda driven documentary is not very prudent (in my opinion).

Remember they want you to hear what THEY want you to hear.

And I become more and more weary every day by the media and way too many in the public audience that are ready willing and able to accept/denounce/quit/chastise/etc the mass majority based on the actions of a very few.

The 80% or more of Catholics (or anybody else) including the priests, bishops, cardinals, popes, etc are well intended. How about we dwell on their accomplishments for a change?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Sage

i agree with The Kid!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.