Faith Awakening

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Default Faith Awakening

First of all, I have identified myself as an aitheist for years. That said, I was glued to the TV for all the events of the Pope this last week. I found myself getting lots of warm and fuzzy feelings from the Popes words and the crowds response. I believe we all are looking for that one big thing that allows the world to make sense to us in our own life. Although it is not my thing, I firmly believe that religion in one form or another is right for millions. Also, I try to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ from Sermon on the mound. I will hope the Popes visit leaves a lasting impression on many giving them peace and purpose.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Faith, believing in something greater than ourselves is essential to human beings and the sanity of this world. A secular world is ruled by men and men always choose selfishly and incorrectly.

I do not care much for this Pope's politics but I do embrace the manner of his humility.

Growing up Catholic the argument always came back to privilege and treasure held by its leaders. Perhaps this Pope will see fit to ensure that all of its treasure short of operating expenses (like other non-profits) will be expended for the charitable and educational purposes it was so acquired.

But the belief in God or a higher power does not equate to religion. God belongs to the universe and to us all. The manner in which we express our belief and love for God is our own personal choice. Choose wisely
Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 AM

"But the belief in God or a higher power does not equate to religion. God belongs to the universe and to us all. The manner in which we express our belief and love for God is our own personal choice. Choose wisely"
Interesting! I will spend some thought time on this line. It may help with my dilemma of believing in Christ but having serious doubt of the existence of GOD.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:01 AM
Sage

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.”
― Rumi
Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage

that is a beautiful quotation, BK! Jim, i am happy the Pope's visit started these thought processes in you....everyone says an atheist can be a good person, which of course is true. but the first and most important of the Ten Commandments is to love God with your whole mind, heart and soul....so that is pretty hard to keep when one does not believe....i am sure if you keep thinking along these lines you will find the faith to which your Creator is calling you.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Eternal Member

I'm not one that's all about religion. I know many people who say they are religious & christians , but are not necessarily nice or good people.
I judge people on how they treat others. Help people, be kind, get involved if needed, love your family and friends, treat people with respect. Relax, slow down. Just be happy and enjoy life while we can.
I loved watching the Pope. He was so kind and caring.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Spirituality comes from deep within whereas religion is outer rules. Spirituality unites, differing religions divide as we interpret them. Deep spirituality obeys the Golden Rule and virtues are evident.

I believe when I go deep enough, I find God or whatever you may call God, (Life, Creative energy, Soul) and when I go out far enough to the plank level of space, God is there too always creating.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Jim, I love your post. It reminds me of a friend who is approaching his 80th year on this planet. He was/is an agnostic, however recently he has had at least three lengthy one-on-one meetings with a rabbi. While he and I, years ago, discussed our mutual agnosticism (I returned to Christ 15 years ago or so) upon my last visit with him it was clear that he is now searching.

I hope he finds his peace and I hope you find yours.

Part of my return to God (and Christ) was that I have always had a need for understanding. While I still have questions about how God “works” in our lives it simply makes more sense to me than God created everything than the idea that “it just happened”. The book, “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Athiest” by Geisler and Turek is an excellent read and I recommend it to all who seem to be searching. I would even loan it to you if you didn’t want to spend the money. (The only problem with that is that I’m leaving in about 45 minutes for 3 weeks. I’m not even sure I’ll have access to TOTV until I return).

BTW, I think “religion” is one of the worst things that ever happened to believers, regardless of what they may believe.

Best of luck in your search and take care.

ted

Last edited by tedquick; 09-29-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Hooray! I actually have at least occasional web access.
Closed Thread

Tags
popes, thing, millions, form, firmly, life, religion, jesus, impression, lasting, leaves, giving, purpose, peace, visit, hope, teachings, follow, christ, mound, sermon, big, glued, events, pope

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.