New Pastor

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Sage
Default New Pastor

our former pastor, Father Peter, was and is so beloved at St Vincent de Paul church, that i could not imagine another in his place...but God has sent us a compact and sturdy little dynamo who had us laughing and appreciating the task before us in completing our new building... as soon as he started talking about the latin roots of the word mission, sent, i was a fan!
he asked that any parishioners who left our church because of squabbles over the new construction please come back, and i think you will like him very much. also, his homily was very good!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
our former pastor, Father Peter, was and is so beloved at St Vincent de Paul church, that i could not imagine another in his place...but God has sent us a compact and sturdy little dynamo who had us laughing and appreciating the task before us in completing our new building... as soon as he started talking about the latin roots of the word mission, sent, i was a fan!
he asked that any parishioners who left our church because of squabbles over the new construction please come back, and i think you will like him very much. also, his homily was very good!
Did Fr. Peter retire or is he still in service somewhere?

"Dynamo" is a word rarely used to describe today's priests--who seem to have never seen nor heard skilled, organized teachers like Billy Graham or especially Fulton Sheen......

Glad to hear about the new pastor.

Fulton Sheen on Building Character:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GSRGwfIyo]Character Building (Part 1) - Archbishop Fulton Sheen - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Sage

Father Peter was sent to a parish in Melbourne, FL. The new pastor is very experienced in building churches, apparently, although i think Father Peter laid most of the groundwork and construction is already under way...maybe he needed a break! i think the word dynamo is a very apt description of our new pastor! come see for yourself. i also love Fulton Sheen...sometimes watch him on youtube and think Billy Graham is a giant among men!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM

You have just inspired me to come and take a look at St. Vincent de Paul. It all sounds good and alive. Just what is needed in a growing church.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Sage
Default Question about St. Vincent de Paul

I looked up St. Vincent de Paul's web site (I enjoy looking up church web sites). How does one priest say 3 Saturday vigil masses and 6 Sunday masses? Even the largest Catholic churches in the northwest suburbs of Chicago only have 1 Saturday vigil mass and 3 or 4 Sunday masses.

I may have to check out St. Vincent de Paul on my next visit to The Villages. I enjoy checking out different churches. And definitely next year when the new church building opens I will have to check out St. Vincent de Paul.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Bring your pocketbook.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
Bring your pocketbook.
???
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Sage

@Schaumburger, one priest cannot possibly do all those masses so we have helpers from st tim and traveling priests at some of the masses....that is why we need the new church which will seat one thousand people...i hate to lose the hominess and warmth of our small building but the influx of Villagers has made the construction necessary. we have a nice music ministry, with dawn di nome singing at most of the masses. and most of all, parishioners in the senior age group have had time to really grow in their faith and appreciate the precious Body and Blood which we receive with reverence and gratitude.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
@Schaumburger, one priest cannot possibly do all those masses so we have helpers from st tim and traveling priests at some of the masses....that is why we need the new church which will seat one thousand people...i hate to lose the hominess and warmth of our small building but the influx of Villagers has made the construction necessary. we have a nice music ministry, with dawn di nome singing at most of the masses. and most of all, parishioners in the senior age group have had time to really grow in their faith and appreciate the precious Body and Blood which we receive with reverence and gratitude.
chachacha, thanks for the info. I was thinking that one priest would be pretty worn out having all those masses on the weekends! Wow 1,000 people -- that will be a very large church, but that part of The Villages is growing by leaps and bounds, so I'm sure the new church is needed. Better to have a crowded church than to have to close churches, which is what has happened in Chicago. I attended St. Timothy's on one of my visits to TV, and I was impressed by the very large crowd at that mass. St. Timothy is the first church I attended that had large screen TV's in the church to better see the priest.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
chachacha, thanks for the info. I was thinking that one priest would be pretty worn out having all those masses on the weekends! Wow 1,000 people -- that will be a very large church, but that part of The Villages is growing by leaps and bounds, so I'm sure the new church is needed. Better to have a crowded church than to have to close churches, which is what has happened in Chicago. I attended St. Timothy's on one of my visits to TV, and I was impressed by the very large crowd at that mass. St. Timothy is the first church I attended that had large screen TV's in the church to better see the priest.
Not to detract from this thread or take away from the fine parish of St.Vincent de Paul but just mentioning that Fr. Ed, our pastor at St. Timothy is a warm and good person and a funny guy and avid golfer and we have lots of retired priests offering the Masses, two each weekday and many on Saturday and Sunday.

Will someone tell me if this statement is true? I head somewhere that St. Timothy was either the largest Roman Catholic parish in Florida or in the top number. Not sure of this. It is a big bunch of folks even during daily Mass.

And nice folks too.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default New Pastor

Cha cha,

I too am impressed with Fr. Peter II s way of addressing his new position. I looked him up online as soon as he was assigned and saw many good things. I think he will be different than Fr Peter I but I think he will be a good fit for our parish. I am glad Fr. Peter I will be closer to his kids and grand kids.

I worry some about the 1000 people thing not being intimate enough but I do sympathize with the need for a larger space to lessen the amount of priests we need.
I went to St. Tim's one time and found it to be very cold plus I did not like sitting behind a post and watching TV. I hope that is not an option st SVDPs. Which mass do you usually attend. I would like to meet you. We go to 11:30 as we both have duties there.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I too was impressed with our new pastor. We joined SVDP because of their active and accomplished music program which allows(promotes) participation in the service. The homilies are informative, brief , and to the point. Come see why this parish is growing and is a great place to worship and thank the Lord for all He has given us..
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
Bring your pocketbook.
I take exception to this idea

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM

New to the Villages and just wondering are you assigned to a parish based on where you live, or do you just attend where you want? I'm in Duval so what are my options?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage

you can register as a parishioner wherever you want, i believe....near you is St Vincent de Paul of which we speak, St Timothy in spanish springs, St Mark on 42 north of you, or st Theresa which i believe is on 301 but have not been there....St V's is closest being just off 466A, turn right opposite the new courthouse and library....enjoy your search! there are also latin masses in ocala on 200, Queen of Peace.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.