Traditional Protestant Church Service

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Gold member

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with a church having contemporary music/format at services separate from the traditional ones.

I was raised on the beautiful traditional hymns with massive pipe organ and great singing participation from the congregation, but many of today's contemporary singers/players make the music soar and stir the spirit of people in attendance, too. I like both styles and often they are mixed in "blended" services.

If people are attending and learning to know Christ and grow their faith in Him with more current music (that usually has scripture-based lyrics) and biblical teaching, isn't the goal of worship and teaching being accomplished?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

When in town I enjoy attending the 10:45 New Covenant United Methodist church service at the Eisenhower Regional Recreational Center which is about 1 mile from our house in the Village of Lake Deaton.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with a church having contemporary music/format at services separate from the traditional ones.

I was raised on the beautiful traditional hymns with massive pipe organ and great singing participation from the congregation, but many of today's contemporary singers/players make the music soar and stir the spirit of people in attendance, too. I like both styles and often they are mixed in "blended" services.

If people are attending and learning to know Christ and grow their faith in Him with more current music (that usually has scripture-based lyrics) and biblical teaching, isn't the goal of worship and teaching being accomplished?
A lot of times when a church has both a traditional and a modern service, it means it's a rather large church membership-wise. I prefer a smaller church with one, two at the most pastor(s) that if I like, I am guaranteed being able to listen to on a weekly basis. It also is easier to participate in the good works of the church. I know of one protestant church that is so large that you practically have to win a lottery to get a spot serving or singing or playing bells, etc. And then there are the politics involved, which are more strident in a larger church.

As far as the music goes, everyone has his own preference as to what lifts one up emotionally. I see no reason not to seek out what connects with you. There's enough around for everyone. I don't think God takes it personally if I dislike intensely guitar music or bands in a church service. Tried it/don't like it.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Most of the churches have sermons live or able to be viewed within a few days. Take some time to watch a few that have been recommended here. I'm confused by your requests. On hand you want so traditional and on the other hand you want to know how open. Do you want an open idea thinking church or a traditional church? I realize they are not mutually exclusive ideas, but I believe it will make it harder to find a traditional open-minded church.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce;10***12
Most of the churches have sermons live or able to be viewed within a few days. Take some time to watch a few that have been recommended here. I'm confused by your requests. On hand you want so traditional and on the other hand you want to know how open. Do you want an open idea thinking church or a traditional church? I realize they are not mutually exclusive ideas, but I believe it will make it harder to find a traditional open-minded church.
I've asked this question before, with equal confusion resulting. So I think I'm not explaining myself well. We like a traditional service--choir, organ, hymns. No bands, drums, videos, etc. But we also want an accepting atmosphere/congregation where no one is judged on basis of race, sexual orientation, financial level, etc, including the pastor.

I hope that explains better what I meant.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM

So, CFrance, I think you are looking for what I would call a mainline Protestant church, rather than an evangelical Protestant church. Is that correct? All the great traditional music, like "A Mighty Fortress is Our God", but an open and accepting attitude. I don't have a recommendation, but I thought this might help define things.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine;10***22
So, CFrance, I think you are looking for what I would call a mainline Protestant church, rather than an evangelical Protestant church. Is that correct? All the great traditional music, like "A Mighty Fortress is Our God", but an open and accepting attitude. I don't have a recommendation, but I thought this might help define things.
Thank you; that's exactly what we're looking for. Maybe PCUSA, as we had in our otherwise conservative West Michigan town.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I really do think by watching a few services on line, you can eliminate those you are not interested in. There is a Sunday every week. Every week Visit a church that was not eliminated. You have to hear the word of the Lord by a person who moves your soul. Only you will know when that happens. We googled our denomination and found our home quickly. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce;10***32
I really do think by watching a few services on line, you can eliminate those you are not interested in. There is a Sunday every week. Every week Visit a church that was not eliminated. You have to hear the word of the Lord by a person who moves your soul. Only you will know when that happens. We googled our denomination and found our home quickly. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks. Good idea.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like churches that try to act like the son of a Jewish carpenter.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;10***56
I like churches that try to act like the son of a Jewish carpenter.
Amen to that - from the back row!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Sage
Default Traditional Protestant Church Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce;10***32
For a new, young, bible based church, try;
Www.liveoakschurch.org
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage

DB, By "bible-based," do you mean that the Bible is taken literally?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Sage
Default Traditional Protestant Church Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance;10***67
DB, By "bible-based," do you mean that the Bible is taken literally?
Yes. The website I noted provides more info.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Try New Life Christian Church on C/R 462 just down from Pinellas. Non Denomination Friendly members.
You may just need to sample services until you are "home"

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.