When do you feel closest to God?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Sage
Default When do you feel closest to God?

I feel closest when I am receiving his word, praying, receiving what I've asked for and blessings I had not even imagined, taking part in answering someone else's prayer, and when worshiping him for being loving, gracious, holy God.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

I feel closest when out in nature away from people giving me their interpretation of the word. The peace and quite of being alone allows for deep thought and clarity to be one with god.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I feel closest when I am receiving his word, praying, receiving what I've asked for and blessings I had not even imagined, taking part in answering someone else's prayer, and when worshiping him for being loving, gracious, holy God.
Great question. Probably when I was looking at the Pacific Ocean, the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, beautiful sunsets, etc. Just cannot see how evolution, etc. could be the only force to make something so sublime. This is actually an argument used by some Philosophers for the existence of God. Not a very good one though. http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy...section3.rhtml
Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

When He speaks to me through His Word.

Last week was having a tough work week and when I woke and read my daily devotional, I wept because it was in His perfect timing He spoke to me to let me know everything will work out.

When we are in our TV home well I feel closer to God.....hence my screen name.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ruger View Post
I feel closest when out in nature away from people giving me their interpretation of the word. The peace and quite of being alone allows for deep thought and clarity to be one with god.
A man was walking through a forest pondering life.
He walked, pondered, walked, and pondered.
He felt very close to nature and even close to God.
He felt so close to God that he felt if he spoke God would listen.
So he asked, "God, are you listening?"

And God replied, "Yes my son, I am here."

The man stopped and pondered some more.

He looked towards the sky and said, "God, what is a million years to you?"

God replied, "Well my son, a second to me is like a million years to you."

So the man continued to walk and to ponder... walk and ponder...
Then he looked to the sky again and said, "God, what is a million dollars to you?"

And God replied, "My son, my son...a penny to me is like a million dollars to you.
It means almost nothing to me.
It does not even have a value it is so little."

The man looked down, pondered a bit and then looked up to the sky and said, "God, can I have a million dollars?"

And God replied, "In a second."
Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Lol
Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

Kittty,

I feel closest to God when those things happen in your day that only He could do....you know....how he uses you in spite of yourself and/or when you have been led to pray for someone only to find out that at that very moment they were in a situation that needed prayer, when there are those really neat 'coincidences" that of course could not be a coincidence at all etc. I guess when He shows up and delights me with Himself.

Also, when my world has fallen apart in the past....and you just knew He was holding you in His arms cause you did not have strength to make it. At these times I have also known people to be praying for me.

Also, when reading the Word and the light gets turned on as to what He is saying that is an answer to your prayers!!! and/or when a friend shares just what is needed at a given moment to give light to a situation.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I see good in people, and there is so much of it. It is like a bunch of tiny mirrors reflecting the goodness of God. That is what keeps me believing. The kindness and goodness and even the humor. I can't believe in God if he doesn't love laughter.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I see good in people, and there is so much of it. It is like a bunch of tiny mirrors reflecting the goodness of God. That is what keeps me believing. The kindness and goodness and even the humor. I can't believe in God if he doesn't love laughter.
A gentleman I know was blessing our meal, and instead of saying God bless Kitty, he said God bless Kissy....! I burst into laughter and said God must be having a good time with that one...

When we left there we went to a square, where a clown came up and asked me if he might give the gentleman a kiss, then placed a plastic red kiss on the man's cheek.

I told Jesus he was showing off!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Gracie, I have never met you but I love what you have to say. It's positive people like you that reflect the twinkle in God's eye.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When I watch the sun rise..it's a peaceful time
Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

When I receive Holy Communion. Transforming and not in my ability to describe better than that.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Sage

I sometimes go to Church, but not every Sunday.
I feel closest to God when I'm in a forest and it is very quiet.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

I feel close to God when I'm around nature enjoying the beauty he created. A few weeks ago I ate at Evans Prairie Country Club. I was watching the birds flying around the beautiful prairie and I thanked God for all of my blessings in life.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Sage
Default The Closest I Have Felt to God

The closest I have felt to God was when I was eight years old while making my First Holy Communion at Saint Benedict's Roman Catholic Church and also during the procession into mass while singing the beautiful hymns that the young nuns had taught us during cathechism classes.....such as:

"Holy God we Praise Thy Name..........
Lord of All, we bow before Thee,
All on earth Thy scepter claim
All in Heaven above adore Thee
Infinite Thy vast domain,
Everlasting is Thy name"

Childhood was a time of innocence when we believed what we were taught & also felt it within.......

This spiritual experience was later followed by feeling extremely close to God while holding our own newborn infants , realizing the innocence of the beautiful precious new souls in our arms...........as well as the newborn babies of our friends and family members over the years.......so many. Now grown with babes of their own.

Next, but no less in importance nor less in a sense of closeness to God, would be, for me, holding the frail wrinkled hand of my parents on their death beds...........as their souls departed...........and just knowing they would be o.k.
.........as well as the frail wrinkled hands of other elders in the nursing home/hospital......over the years.......as the end neared.......

........plus the passing of friends who passed too young at 39 & 50, not yet finished with their life's work..........yet knowing they were going into the next realm, one of a spiritual existence.......which we had to accept.......& being left behind to comfort their grieving spouses/children when there were no appropriate words...........but God helped us comfort them.....

Religion is man made, however, spirituality is felt within one's own soul & heart........the goodness of a person is more important than the church he attends..........such as the kindness in the heart of the man "facing the window" in the inspirational story below:

The Window
Author Unknown

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

And every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those one-hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color of the rainbow. Grand old trees graced the landscape, and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene.
One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it in his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days and weeks passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away. As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the world outside. Finally, he would have the joy of seeing it for himself. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window. The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue. . . .There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations. Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled. If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy. "Today is a gift, that's why it is called the PRESENT".

It goes without saying that I also feel close to GOD while in the mountains of Colorado, Vermont or Maine, etc. and also deep in the cool green forests.........where it is peaceful and silent.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.