Are you a Christian

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Well, if a man judges another man in any way, he is defying the teachings of Jesus.
Wow!?!? Really? Perhaps you should read your reply to me.

I will be bowing out of this thread. No good can come from it. You asked your question rhetorically. You are not interested in any one else's reply you would rather just sit in judgement of other.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Well, if a man judges another man in any way, he is defying the teachings of Jesus.
this is NOT a biblical statement...in fact Jesus said quite plainly:

"Judge not according to the appearance BUT judge righteous judgment." John 7:24

We all make judgments and when it comes to church discipline judgments have to be made. There is one command that says that we are NOT to socialize or even eat with a brother under church discipline. In order for a member to be disciplined judgment has to be made. The admonition is to NOT judge hypocritically or maliciously Matthew 7:1. Jesus advises us to judge righteously.

sorry Golfingnut but you're getting some very bad teaching NOT according to the Scriptures.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Sage

A true Christian does not assume others give less than he does, and a true Christian does not announce his "superiority" over others, in helping the needy.

Matthew 6
New International Version (NIV)
Giving to the Needy

6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Matthew 6 NIV - Giving to the Needy -
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Sage

I have to try again to say this...the very reason for Christ's death is that we are wholly unable to obtain status with God by good works, a truth which seems diametrically the opposite of the assertion made in the original post as to what makes one a Christian.
A Christian comes to God only upon realizing that "all our righteousness is as filthy rags". We are utterly dependent on the mercy of God to love us in spite of how we are, won by Christ on our behalf.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Sage

I have not read a post above that is in line with what I MEANT about Christianity.

I see more greed, hatred of others, selfishness, prejudice, and lying among people with a cross hanging around their neck than I do among the few atheists that I know. So, what I meant to say was, if you can see any of those traits in yourself, I would suggest reconsidering just how far you are from being a devout Christian. I AM NOT JUDGING ANYONE, I am suggesting that you judge yourself.

PS: I would prefer to hear others opinions on this and not misinterpretations of what some think I meant.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

I recognize that what I think is not the only way to think. Yes, there are selfish people, but there are so many good people who try to do what God wants them to do, whatever they perceive that to be. In my experience, those who put themselves in pulpits usually err.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM

Christianity is not a synonym for morality. In the spiritual realm there are basically 4 types of people:
1) the natural man--is not interested in having a relationship with God
2) the mature spiritual man--has a relationship with God and increasingly manifests the fruit of the spirit (e.g., love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, etc.) as his relationship with God deepens
3) fleshen spiritual man--has a relationship with God that's just beginning, spiritual babe
4) fleshly spiritual man--has a relationship with God, but behaves carnally. This type is often outwardly indistinguishable from the natural man, the difference being the fleshly man has a relationship with God and the natural man does not.
Christianity is not a matter of moral vs. immoral, it is a matter of relationship with God vs. no relationship with God. Jesus declared the only way to have a relationship with God is through Him--Christianity accepts this declaration as the most critical and pivotal point in all of human history, past, present, and future.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
I have not read a post above that is in line with what I MEANT about Christianity.

I see more greed, hatred of others, selfishness, prejudice, and lying among people with a cross hanging around their neck than I do among the few atheists that I know. So, what I meant to say was, if you can see any of those traits in yourself, I would suggest reconsidering just how far you are from being a devout Christian. I AM NOT JUDGING ANYONE, I am suggesting that you judge yourself.

PS: I would prefer to hear others opinions on this and not misinterpretations of what some think I meant.
Now that you have said what you meant clearly...I am in a community of believers who are genuine, caring, generous, accepting, loving, actively seeking God, praying, giving, ministering to each other and reaching out.
I agree that much of what calls itself Christianity has lost its heart. It has been a long time since I was in a fellowship like this and I am wholly grateful.
I also know many people who are not believers whom I consider to be kind, generous and loving.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

How about just being a good human being whatever your religious leanings, or lack thereof.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Sage

Being a good person is not limited to those who believe in Christ.

There are many non-Christians, who believe in a Higher Power, who are spiritual, generous, kind, supportive, genuine, caring, accepting, loving, praying, giving, ministering to each other and reaching out. And wishing health and happiness to all regardless of their social status or the amount in their bank account.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
How about just being a good human being whatever your religious leanings, or lack thereof.
YES!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Being a good person is not limited to those who believe in Christ.

There are many non-Christians, who believe in a Higher Power, who are spiritual, generous, kind, supportive, genuine, caring, accepting, loving, praying, giving, ministering to each other and reaching out. And wishing health and happiness to all regardless of their social status or the amount in their bank account.

Agree, 100%.

I got on this high horse due to an incident very recently in which I made a favorable comment about one of our leaders in Washington and then was given quite the long verbal assault as the gentleman spit out the N word three times in one sentence. That said, the part I cannot seem to shake off is the visual of the gold chain and cross so prominently displayed on the outside of his shirt at mid chest.

Only my opinion, but that strong language and especially the use of the N word does not fit the guidelines of being a Christian as I understand it.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage

Yes. Some christians believe that you should have unquestioned belief in the trinty and you are saved by your faith, not works and deeds. I feel that all relegions are trying to love GOD in their own way. However, one gets to heaven, is determined by GOD and no one should judge another person. We are all judged by GOD, at the end of our days.

GOD"s greatest commandmant is to love your GOD with all of your heart.

God's second greatest commandent is, "love another as I have you loved you".

My favorite saying is, "let us not grow wearly while doing good, as we will reap in due season, if we do not lose heart". Galations: 5:13.

I believe all people of different religions, strive to be the best person they can be and want to gain entrance, to heaven. They may take different roads to get there, but they will get there.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:

Agree, 100%.

I got on this high horse due to an incident very recently in which I made a favorable comment about one of our leaders in Washington and then was given quite the long verbal assault as the gentleman spit out the N word three times in one sentence. That said, the part I cannot seem to shake off is the visual of the gold chain and cross so prominently displayed on the outside of his shirt at mid chest.

Only my opinion, but that strong language and especially the use of the N word does not fit the guidelines of being a Christian as I understand it.
Sorry to hear about that experience. In my own life experiences I have found very little correlation between the faith someone professes and how they actually treat other people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_3:16 Notice that the promise of life eternal has nothing to do with how one conducts their lives probably also a good reason why you find John 3:16 so often in prisons around the world and especially on Death Row.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Agree, 100%.

Golfingnut and Barefoot - I agree with both of you. I too had a similar experience with a very religious person who kept using the "n" word. Very hateful, and is one of many incidences that has turned me off to religion. I do believe the 10 commandments are a great set of rules to live by, and I try to do so in my life, but I am not a fan of organized religion.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.